Tiki In Houston

roym

This one's for SpaceAge. ;)

Chin's Poly-Asian

9530 South Main

I've also seen this restaurant referred to as Albert Gee's Poly-Asian (not to be confused with the Poly-Asian West on Westheimer).

These two items stood on either side of the entrance to the Poly-Asian and I *believe* originated from Hawaii in the 1960s. These were sold a while back on ebay. I tried to keep these dudes in Houston, but they went for over $400.... EACH!

polyasianrestaurantmask02nh4.jpg

polyasianrestaurantmask01ln5.jpg

polyasianrestaurantmask03an4.jpg

polyasianrestaurantstatue02hr9.jpg

polyasianrestaurantstatue01xc7.jpg

polyasianrestaurantstatue03ub4.jpg

Other similar places in Houston:

Trader Vic's in the Shamrock Hilton - 6900 S. Main

Poly-Asian West - 5138 Westheimer

Club Luau (don't know where or when this was)

Club Luau

9530 South Main (upstairs from Albert Gee's Poly-Asian)

This menu is supposedly from a Houston restaurant:

clubluau01bh3.jpg

clubluau02uf5.jpg

Great to see the memorabilia of Trader Vics....this was our favorite place for an anniversary dinner in the '60's.

The only time I was in the Shamrock was in 1984 or 1985 for a company party. I'd never heard of Trader Vic's and didn't know there was one even there. So I never got to see it. :( Of course by the time the party was over I didn't know where anything was. :D

Poly-Asian West

5138 Westheimer

polyasianwest03ae2.jpg

1970 Menu

polyasianwest01yd7.jpg

polyasianwest02xj2.jpg

Great collection of tiki memorabilia there. Thanks for posting.

I've never been in Trader Vic's, but I did make the final St. Patricks's Day blowout party in the Emerald Room at the Shamrock.

Somehow I don't think they could get away with that menu cover now. :blush: Things seem to have been a lot more laid back in the "old days". ^_^

Does anyone recall what the name of the "tiki" restaraunt was that was on the corner of Hillcroft and Bellaire? I was there during the late 60's, maybe early 70's and had some great oriental food. Anyone know?

Funny you should ask that. My Dad says it was the Mongolian Barbeque. He would know because all I cared about at the time was the fortune cookies! Got my first one there!

Looks quite swank. ^_^ The Hardoy chair by the pool is a nice touch. This must have been demolished to build 288.

Well mapquest brings up a star right at Grand and 288 but I don't know if that address really exists anymore - never noticed what's at that intersection... I wonder what it took to be "qualified" for membership. :huh:

HCAD Shows a metal warehouse built in 1984 at that address.

the building data is pretty sad on the current entry. :(

makes is sound like an oversized cookie tin with a drain and partition wall.

Element Detail

Cooling Type - None

Construction Type - Steel, Light

Functional Utility - Poor

Heating Type - None

Partition Type - Below Normal

Physical Condition - Poor

Plumbing Type - Minimum

Sprinkler Type - None

Exterior Wall - Metal, Light

The 1969 city directory listing for 6219 Grand Blvd. is SANDS OF HOUSTON. It shows it as a new listing for that year and the telephone number is 747-9756. It is shown to be at the intersection of 3000 Dixie.

I can't decide if that sounds like a dirt yard or a hotel. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The latest find... looks like it was really cool. Sorry about the glare on some of these.

Totems Not Taboo

totem01zc5.jpg

totem02ps7.jpg

totem03os4.jpg

totem04vw7.jpg

totem05gw8.jpg

totem06cu3.jpg

totem07dl3.jpg

totem08fr1.jpg

totem09yg0.jpg

totem10tl9.jpg

totem11he3.jpg

totem12ol3.jpg

totem13hz4.jpg

Probably should have made these smaller since they are pics of relatively small items. Sorry about that... :blush:

• 4 months later...
The Luau was the private club section of the Poly-Asian. Here's a listing from a 1961 Chron Dining Guide:

"Polyasian (sic) - This is one of the outstanding dining spots in the South, featuring Cantonese, Polynesian, and Japanese foods served in the atmosphere of the South Sea Islands. Located at 9530 S. Main, the Poly-Asian is operated by Albert Gee. Gay South Sea Islands costumes are worn by the waitresses and waiters. The restaurant is decorated in the theme of the islands. Dinners are from $2.75 up. The Las Vegas style Polynesian Chuck Wagon for the after-the-theater crowd serves a wide variety of Poly-Asian food from $1.95 up. In the Kabuki Tea House dining room, patrons are served at low tables while suited on cushions on the floor and watch the meal being prepared tableside. The Club Luau, a private membership club, operates in conjunction with the public dining facility. Hours are from 5pm to midnight and to 1am on Saturday."

Thanks for the article Bruce. Yes, I recently found out where it was and I have recently obtained pics of both the Poly Asian and Club Luau menus that I will be posting soon!

Archived