Looking For Stucco Subdivisions

invincible569

I havent seen much Stucco around the NW side of Houston.. but I guess there isnt much around Houston at all like other coastal states. Do any of you know of any new stucco subdivisions in the West/NW area? The only ones I found or know of are:

1. Windsor Park Lakes

2. Copper Lakes

3. Seven Meadows

4. Lakes of Jersey Village

I havent seen much Stucco around the NW side of Houston.. but I guess there isnt much around Houston at all like other coastal states. Do any of you know of any new stucco subdivisions in the West/NW area? The only ones I found or know of are:

1. Windsor Park Lakes

2. Copper Lakes

3. Seven Meadows

4. Lakes of Jersey Village

There is one over in The Meadows. 70's style though.

Stucco? Don't you mean EIFS?

I dont know if I should even ask what EIFS is. Hope is something positive.

Anyhow, thanks for the other areas. Seven Meadows is on the west side, but wouldnt mind jumping on Westpark to get to work. :) Taxes are the same, but the schools that Cy Fair has brought up wins over the Katy area in my opinion.

Seven Lakes is a good high school. There is a new elementary being built right next to Seven Meadow (I believe in it), and Beckendorff opend last year.

Seven Lakes:

SLHS.jpg

But you can't go wrong with Katy I.S.D. or Cy-Fair I.S.D. Both are great and Katy has just been named a Recogonized district after dropping from its Exemplary status about three years ago. It became acceptable, but now is Recogonized. Mr.Football probably has Cy-Fair's rating.

Cy-Fair ISD is the largest 'Recognized' school district in the state.

It has achieved 'Exemplary' ratings in the past, but never slid past 'Recognized'. They're both great school districts. I'm sure each has their own 'star' schools. There are great schools in nearly every school district.

I wouldn't have any reservations about sending my kid to the following HS:

Spring Branch ISD (Memorial, Stratford)

Cy-Fair ISD (Cy-Woods, Cy-Creek, Cy-Fair)

Klein ISD (Klein, Klein Oak, Klein Collins)

Conroe ISD (The Woodlands, TW College Park)

Humble ISD (Kingwood)

Katy ISD (Taylor, 7 Lakes)

HISD (Lamar, Bellaire)

Haven't a clue about Sugar Land, Pearland or Clear Lake. Different universe.

I dont know if I should even ask what EIFS is. Hope is something positive.
EIFS, also called synthetic stucco, is under fire for promoting moisture retention

that can lead to structural problems

I have a friend that bought/built a home in Bellaire with fake stucco. When the landscapers uses the weedeater too close to it, chunks fall off. Not good stuff.

I have a friend that bought/built a home in Bellaire with fake stucco. When the landscapers uses the weedeater too close to it, chunks fall off. Not good stuff.

I have a friend that lived in an apartment complex in Midtown Dallas that had the stuff on the exterior. They are tearing it all completely off and finding all kinds of rotten studs on the building exterior. THis complex is certainly less than ten years old, maybe even less than five.

The funny thing is that the material for fake stucco is more expensive than your traditional stucco, but you make up the cost in the quick labor install.

I recently redid my entire home in stucco, the traditional mortar type. And we have landscapers weed wacking it all the time and it holds up great, super solid.

Stay away from the fake stuff.

I would not recommend purchasing a stucco or stucco type home in Houston. We just have too much humidity and moisture for this type of building. I've known of 2 different families who have had to re-do the entire exterior of their homes because of mold and moisture problems with their stucco.

I have known of 2 different families who have had to re-do the entire exterior of their homes because of mold and moisture problems with their stucco.

If they had it installed PROPERLY, the moisture barrier (black heavy gauge plastic) will prevent this from happening. Mositure will always get into a mortar based substance (even brick, which is why they have weeps holes at the bottom). Stucco does have an issue with termites, they hide the mud tunnels really well. So make sure you have a clear view of the foundation all around the property and that no stucco was laid directly on top of the foundation.

If they had it installed PROPERLY, the moisture barrier (black heavy gauge plastic) will prevent this from happening. Mositure will always get into a mortar based substance (even brick, which is why they have weeps holes at the bottom). Stucco does have an issue with termites, they hide the mud tunnels really well. So make sure you have a clear view of the foundation all around the property and that no stucco was laid directly on top of the foundation.

To add more points, stuccco must be painted. Many people think the color is in the material. An elastomeric paint must be used to help with the movement of the wall.

EIFS is the fake stuff and in my opinion should be avoided. STO, the largest supplier of EIFS, says they have new designs to eliminate moisture problems around openings such as windows. Hmmm. They are admitting they had a problem.

Post Properties projects on West Gray, including The Rise, had major EIFS problems. Since the units in The Rise are now for sale I would hope they have repaired the problem. The newer apartments on Woodway at Bering had to be reskined a few years ago.

You can usually gently push an exterior wall or tap it with your fist and tell if it's stucco or EIFS. EIFS may move a little or sound hollow.

Even the good stucco mildews terribly in Houston. You have to power wash often if you don't like that "green streak" look.

i have been noticing that a lot lately - must be the heat, humidity, and increased rainfall.

so with the EIFS stuff, does it blow away when power-washed? ^_^

To add more points, stuccco must be painted. Many people think the color is in the material. An elastomeric paint must be used to help with the movement of the wall.

Wrong again, they mix colored powder into the last layer, (usually is it installed layer upon layer 3 or 4 times).

The paint does assist in keeping the moisture out.

Where on earth did you get that from my post, I merely stated they mix the final layer of texture to place on top of the stucco, it is not paint, it is a dry powder that they mix with water. :P

Where on earth did you get that from my post, I merely stated they mix the final layer of texture to place on top of the stucco, it is not paint, it is a dry powder that they mix with water. :P

I think what LWood was trying to say was that if you paint the stucco it helps with preventing moisture from seeping in.

Cy-Fair ISD is the largest 'Recognized' school district in the state.

It has achieved 'Exemplary' ratings in the past, but never slid past 'Recognized'. They're both great school districts. I'm sure each has their own 'star' schools. There are great schools in nearly every school district.

I wouldn't have any reservations about sending my kid to the following HS:

Spring Branch ISD (Memorial, Stratford)

Cy-Fair ISD (Cy-Woods, Cy-Creek, Cy-Fair)

Klein ISD (Klein, Klein Oak, Klein Collins)

Conroe ISD (The Woodlands, TW College Park)

Humble ISD (Kingwood)

Katy ISD (Taylor, 7 Lakes)

HISD (Lamar, Bellaire)

Haven't a clue about Sugar Land, Pearland or Clear Lake. Different universe.

The new TEA accountability ratings are out: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/acco...2006/index.html

Pearland ISD, (Clear Creek ISD) Clear Lake, are "Recognized." Fort Bend ISD (Sugarland) is "acceptable"

Of course, there are exemplary gems within most ISDs

http://www.fortbendisd.com/testing/2006account.pdf

I almost bought a stucco home in a new subdivision in Meadows, Texas, That is near Stafford, north of 59. This was around 1984-85. The whole new subdivision was stucco and we liked the nontraditional floor plans. I remember that our house was $101K. We put the money down and they started to build. As I watched them build I did not like how it was going. After the framing was up and they started to put on the stucco, I said that's it, and we walked away. On the outside of the studs they tacked on 3/4" styrofoam. On that they put chicken wire and then stucco. They ended up finishing the house and then it stood vacant for one year. The salesman called us back, after that year and offered us the house for $85K. We went and looked at it and saw a large puddle of water inside on the unfinished slab. They said it was no problem. Well, we walked again. About 5 years later the homeowners of that subdivision had a lawsuit going against the builder. I don't know what happened. I think the bulder was Gemcraft Homes.

Archived