Looking For Stucco Subdivisions

Just add a tile roof and instant Los Angeles, Las Vegas or Phoenix! Ugly! Ugly! Ugly! I moved here and was happy to get away from that look... it looks cheap.

Yeah i feel exactly the same way. After all my years in So Cal, I grew very tired of Stucco.

Once again, while I prefer brick, I'm not totally against any type of design categorically. I think there are great looking stucco designs, just as their are great looking brick, log, or stone designs. I think the proliferation of corrugated aluminum condos in Midtown is cheezy, but I'm sure there are some instances that look cool.

A couple of shots of The Meadows of Avalon, in Sugar Land. Photos taken by me, in January 2006.

Typical EIFS home, complete with elaborate EIFS trim, and festooned with niceties such as double doors, and stone veneer. Landscaping, of course, consists of a moustache of hedges, and several "tropical looking" Queen Palm trees.:

eifs002xq8.jpg

View of neighborhood:

eifsavalon001ni2.jpg

'Trash' day generally not the optimum time to take photos.

Sugar Land is so different from the Northwest side, because any construction is usually nicer than the original landscape, as it is so plain. Whereas on the NW side, we all mourn the loss of our trees to new development (and rightly so).

Edited by mrfootball

I think what LWood was trying to say was that if you paint the stucco it helps with preventing moisture from seeping in.

Many homes in Houston have had leakage through fine, hairline cracks in the fake stucco products, Corev, etc.. Due to the waterproof nature of the product, once water gets in, it doesn't escape and hence mold forms. There are numerous structures between 5-10 yrs old that are having this problem.

I grew up in Phoenix and saw the stucco homes being built in the 1980's. I owned several homes as well as rental properties and never once considered buying one as an investment. They are generally cheaply constructed and very bland looking. I could visit my friends in Los Angeles or in Vegas and see the same houses in Phoenix. The pictures of the Sugar Land subdivision made me cringe... memories of the sea of cookie-cutter out west, small yards, identical roofs, and the random tree in the middle of the front yard. I suppose it is "unique" looking in Houston, but definitely not my cup of tea. I wonder what they will be worth as time goes by when the stucco deteriorates and they all need to be painted or when the fad wears away, they just do not have the same timeless look of brick and I certainly would not pay $500-$1 mil for that look out here, it just looks out of place.

Today I went looking around at other new subdivisions and came across another Stucco subdivision. This was in Blackhorse Ranch off of Fry Rd. I snapped some pics for you to enjoy as much as I did. :) I guess some of us have different taste when it comes to stucco homes. That's okay though.

blackhorse1bg3.jpg

blackhorse2mv2.jpg

Edited by invincible569

Today I went looking around at other new subdivisions and came across another Stucco subdivision. This was in Blackhorse Ranch off of Fry Rd. I snapped some pics for you to enjoy as much as I did. :) I guess some of us have different taste when it comes to stucco homes. That's okay though.

blackhorse1bg3.jpg

blackhorse2mv2.jpg

Love the old oak. The house not so much, reminds me of Phoenix.

My response was to the problem with mildew. The stains on brick are also very hard to get off, but I think its a problem from installation. Brick also holds water. I believe you're supposed to soak them in water for several hours before you use them. I'm not sure if thats commonly done here. The point is that stucco and brick both work if they are installed correctly.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

New here, but not to the Houston area, found this thread using google, so hope you don't mind if I tack on to it.

I know some of you guys here don't like the stucco look and everybody has their own tastes, which is cool. Since I've been in Houston a while and you don't see too many houses with that Mediteranian(sp?) look, I think in a way, it's kind of unique. Most homes are brick bottom floor, hardy planks top, and some even have some fish scale(ugly in my opinion) look for design too. Here's the deal:

I'd like to have a Mediteranian style house built, but using brick(apparentley stucco+Houston=Bad News). Any suggestions? Lighter(pastel) color brick with mortar similar in color to it, so that it kind of looks like one color? I drive by cookie cutter houses everyday and it makes me sick and I don't want one. This will be a custom home on some property that I've owned for years and finally(financially) can build something on.

Thanks,

--Alan

• The title was changed to Looking For Stucco Subdivisions