Best Chinese food?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another treasure of a resturant is Tan Tien on Bellaire @ cook. it's located in a strip center behind another building.

Anyway, I haven't tried any of the specialty dishes they have, but the basics are well done, well served, and at a very reasonable price.

Oh god, how i miss living near the galleria. It was so close to everything.

I know that there are 2 Chinatowns in Houston, and zillions of restaurants. But with so many many choices, I have to ask you...

1) What do you think is the best Chinese restaurant in town? I"m looking for a place that serves really spicy foods -- I can't stand most American Chinese restaurants as they are mostly bland, and when someone recommends a restaurant, it's usually because they like some dish that is very syrupy like sesame chicken (which I personally believe should be served as a dessert, not a main course meal).

2) Is there any place in Houston that serves Sichuan Hot Pot (you know, like the Chinese version of the fondue where pieces of food is cooked in a hot chili oil)?

3) What do you consider the best place to have dim sums?

Thanks!

IMHO, the best Chinese food is at China Square on Nasa Road 1 in the Clear Lake area. HUGE poritions, reasonable prices (especially at lunch) and the friendliest atmosphere around! Beats 888 HANDS DOWN!

IMHO, the best Chinese food is at China Square on Nasa Road 1 in the Clear Lake area. HUGE poritions, reasonable prices (especially at lunch) and the friendliest atmosphere around! Beats 888 HANDS DOWN!

cannot agree with that statement.

i have been to both 888 and china square - a lot of times.

888 at gulfgate is no comparison - to me. I have to defend my 888. :wub:

but to each his own :P

I've been to china square many times since i've worked down there for yrs...after 888 opened, i won't go back to china square. the food there is very bland comparatively. I even have my coworkers who live in clr lake to drive up to 888. china square is too americanized for me.

I vote for Fung's Kitchen Sunday Dim Sum. The carts go around on the weekends. I will say that their Hargaow and Chiu-Mai (most common dumplings) aren't that great. They have the most variety and the more uncommon adventurous dishes are the best.

There is also a new place called Yum Yum Cha Cafe, a quaint small cafe in the Rice Village Shopping area between the old and new sections that does pretty darned good Dim Sum. Its a made to order kind without the carts, which I actually prefer, because the food always comes out piping hot. Pretty authentic as well. The tripe (for all you tripe afficianados) was one of the best I've had. The Hargaow and Chiu-mai here are one of the best in the city.

Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about all this!

• 4 months later...

An 888 update:

We dined at the other 888 at FM-646 and I-45 a few weeks ago.

The food was just as good and fresh as the gulfgate location plus they have an expanded menu.

the additions that I noticed were curry dishes and meals cooked in clay pots.

It seems like they are trying for a slightly more upscale experience at that location.

It was packed - just like gulfgate - and the service was great - as usual.

An 888 update:

The food was just as good and fresh as the gulfgate location plus they have an expanded menu.

the additions that I noticed were curry dishes and meals cooked in clay pots.

It seems like they are trying for a slightly more upscale experience at that location.

It was packed - just like gulfgate - and the service was great - as usual.

They have the curry dishes and clay pot dishes at the gulfgate location as well. They have another menu all in chinese and the items there are not on the english menu. if you don't know what you want, just ask a waiter for help. try the pork/dry tofu spicy........it is GOOD.

They have the curry dishes and clay pot dishes at the gulfgate location as well. They have another menu all in chinese and the items there are not on the english menu. if you don't know what you want, just ask a waiter for help. try the pork/dry tofu spicy........it is GOOD.

COOL! I did not know that. and i thought i was a special customer! :blush:

Those items are included in a thicker english menu at the 646 location.

• 2 months later...
An 888 update:

last night the gulfgate 888 had their chinese new yr/anniversary celebration for their regular customers. One announcement was that they are opening yet another restaurant in clear lake proper sometime during the summer of 2007.

I love Hunan on Post Oak, always have. When we lived in the Houstonian we had it delivered twice a week. YUM!

We went to Ocean Palace about two weeks ago, and even though I don't like Dim SUm it has been the best place to go. But this last trip the pork ribs were rancid. Fortunately we didn't ingest the stuff, hubby spit it out. The kids would have chowed if he didn't do that. Never going back.

last night the gulfgate 888 had their chinese new yr/anniversary celebration for their regular customers. One announcement was that they are opening yet another restaurant in clear lake proper sometime during the summer of 2007.

My husband will be thirlled. I don't care for 888 at all. Last time I was in there, the whole place smelled rancid, the food we got was rancid...I hate 888.

My husband will be thirlled. I don't care for 888 at all. Last time I was in there, the whole place smelled rancid, the food we got was rancid...I hate 888.

wow i've never had that experience there. for me their food makes most other chinese food taste bad. once you go there, you don't go anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

according to today's chron:

the location of 888 in clear lake will be at el camino and bay area.

says they leased a 5400 sqft building - so i wonder if that eliminates a spot in one of the nearby strip centers.

maybe the never opened eckerds?

or maybe some building just down the street? any vacant ones near there?

the old bank building/willie t's?

i really haven't paid much attention lately to what is still there.

according to today's chron:

the location of 888 in clear lake will be at el camino and bay area.

says they leased a 5400 sqft building - so i wonder if that eliminates a spot in one of the nearby strip centers.

maybe the never opened eckerds?

or maybe some building just down the street? any vacant ones near there?

the old bank building/willie t's?

i really haven't paid much attention lately to what is still there.

yeah the owner has been co-locating near HEB so he can make deals with the manager.

Is there a decent Dim Sum place downtown? Preferably a Dim Sum buffet.

What ever you do, don't go to the Vietnamese/Chinese place across the street from Jenni's Noodle House! Tried it on Saturday for lunch...terrible. The worst attempt at cooking (of any genre) I've every tried. I always test the waters of a Vietnamese-oriented place by trying the 'pork in hotpot', which usually comes slathered in boiling oyster sauce. The dish looked good but tasted like ****. No kidding. ****. After many bites, I managed to become tolerant of the taste, but every time that I'd take a gulp of tea, I'd be in for a spoonful of imitation ****.

On top of that, every dish was dirty and the rice was too soft and mushy. Avoid this place at all costs!

Hot Wok off Nasa Road 1 is good. That's about the only decent place for Chinese food in Clear Lake anymore.

I wonder if thats the one with the delicious buffet? I go there but never pay attention to the name cause I am usually starving when I get there and almost knock down people as I storm the entrance!

Just kidding, but this one is at a big intersection on Nasa Rd 1 at where near that new exit ramps come down. I know sounds vague but best I can do. I love Chinese food so much I am thinking of marrying a woman that knows how to cook it! I'll get big and plump for sure but happy! :lol:

I wonder if thats the one with the delicious buffet? I go there but never pay attention to the name cause I am usually starving when I get there and almost knock down people as I storm the entrance!

Just kidding, but this one is at a big intersection on Nasa Rd 1 at where near that new exit ramps come down. I know sounds vague but best I can do. I love Chinese food so much I am thinking of marrying a woman that knows how to cook it! I'll get big and plump for sure but happy! :lol:

East Star? its at nasa 1 at el camino/egret bay (where the new bypass comes in) - next to Frenchies

Hot Wok is in front of Garden Ridge Pottery in the old WalMart/Fiesta parking lot. near Hooters if that helps :ph34r:

Good Dim Sum places(SW Houston) is Golden Palace and Kim Son(Fountains at Stafford).

Hot Pot place would be Tan Tan(Bellaire and Ranchester) though not sure if best, but pretty good when i went.

Chinese restaurant would be Fung's Kitchen(best Peking Duck in Houston)

Archived