Walmart At FM 1093 And Grand Parkway

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the update! We are excited about BWW and Best Buy! I wonder what will go in the 42,085 square feet space.

Best Buy was the store I was wanting the most in this center. :)

Does anyone know how big the best buy will be? it looks kind of small. Also, how long do you guys think it will take for these new shops to open?

Thanks for the update.

• 2 weeks later...

Put this one in the rumor bin, but I read on the 7M website that a person had talked to the manager of Sams on Hwy 6 and I-10 and he said they are closing that location due to poor sales and moving it next to this Super Walmart.

we'll see...

Nope, I was at the AMC Katy Mills with her (The Happening sucked) and she said they were going to build one where she works at. Not sure which kind, but it would probably be something like a Regal Cinema, since there are none like that around here.

Nope, I was at the AMC Katy Mills with her (The Happening sucked) and she said they were going to build one where she works at. Not sure which kind, but it would probably be something like a Regal Cinema, since there are none like that around here.

oh thats cool.

aw i thought that movie was gonna be good. :( oh well haha

Hate to burst your bubble - but the movie theatre was axed more than a year ago. CLimate wasn't right and it hasn't gotten any better for another theatre in the area.

Missing from the site plan is Dress Barn - going in next to famous footwear and Petsmart. The missing bank on the corner (next to wachovia) is suppose to be a Chase bank.

The Best Buy will be a 30,000 sqf store. I don't understand them putting a Zales out here...there is one in every mall already.

I had heard at one point that Gamestop was going to put a store in there but I haven't seen anything on that recently.

I'd be shock if they moved the Sams club from 1-10 & 6 to out here. If it happened it would have to be in the last phase (down toward 1093) due to the size of those stores. Maybe they will put it on the other corner with Bed Bath and Beyond (don't understand that one either)

Anyone know if the walmart gas station got approved? It's on the site plan as a empty lot, but wal-mart owns that land.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Wal-Mart is about to change their color scheme and logo to a new burnt orange and white design. I assume this store would open up with these colors and logos. Kind of odd color selection - the only thing I can think being burnt orange are UT Longhorn uniforms.

New Walmart logo

• 3 weeks later...
To heck with Best Buy put in a danged Fry's our here.

As for the rest well wasted space as most of those are right up the road on Mason or in the surrounding Cinco Ranch area.

B

Sure, but that's a long way for people that live west of Grand Parkway and in the new neighborhoods south of FM1093.

This is the movie I saw last night, and I seriously think that if this Documentary is correct, that I will give my business elsewhere.

I saw that movie on HBO a while ago. While it makes some interesting points, I think it's poorly done and extremely biased. I would like to see something about it that was more objective.

Well I can tell you first hand about Walmart destroying towns.

I grew up in a small south la. town that was thriving at the time full of mom and pops, etc. Walmart approached the town about locating there and the people were just ecstatic over the fact they wouldn't have to drive to get stuff and Walmart would be great. Walmart came and within a few years the town started to decline. Store after store could not compete with Walmart and eventually shut down. The one's that tried to hang on didn't last long as Walmart only slashed prices or started offering things they offered which Walmart normally didn't offer. Slowly they drove them down and soon became the only game in town. All the people that ran stores, etc moved and tried to make it elsewhere's but nothing much other than McDonalds, and a few other places opened and stayed open.

The town became a shell of itself when the core people moved. The people that moved in behind them for the cheap property, etc well you can guess what happened next. I still get there occasionally to visit the few people I know still there but its basically crawling with drugs, etc. Funny how the older folks who are still there wish so much for the town they used to have and all I can tell them is you all bit hook, line and sinker to Walmart and now all these years later they are crying wishing they never would have let them build in their little town.

I know you will think that Walmart had nothing to do with this but I disagree cause I can look back exactly to when the town started to go wrong and it was when they let Walmart in.

This same scenerio played out in many other small south la towns soon after as these little towns were all withing 15 or 20 miles of each other. They too are all in the same situation after all these years.

So I have no use for Walmart and I guess that is a little bitter on my end but I have reason cause I saw what they did and it was cold, calculated snuffing out of business after business until they were the only thing available.

First, what small town in South Louisiana? Second, Walmart coming to this area won't be the same as the South Louisiana town. It's mostly chain and big box stores out this way anyway. Especially on a main highway.

Well I can tell you first hand about Walmart destroying towns.

I grew up in a small south la. town that was thriving at the time full of mom and pops, etc. Walmart approached the town about locating there and the people were just ecstatic over the fact they wouldn't have to drive to get stuff and Walmart would be great. Walmart came and within a few years the town started to decline. Store after store could not compete with Walmart and eventually shut down. The one's that tried to hang on didn't last long as Walmart only slashed prices or started offering things they offered which Walmart normally didn't offer. Slowly they drove them down and soon became the only game in town. All the people that ran stores, etc moved and tried to make it elsewhere's but nothing much other than McDonalds, and a few other places opened and stayed open.

The town became a shell of itself when the core people moved. The people that moved in behind them for the cheap property, etc well you can guess what happened next. I still get there occasionally to visit the few people I know still there but its basically crawling with drugs, etc. Funny how the older folks who are still there wish so much for the town they used to have and all I can tell them is you all bit hook, line and sinker to Walmart and now all these years later they are crying wishing they never would have let them build in their little town.

I know you will think that Walmart had nothing to do with this but I disagree cause I can look back exactly to when the town started to go wrong and it was when they let Walmart in.

This same scenerio played out in many other small south la towns soon after as these little towns were all withing 15 or 20 miles of each other. They too are all in the same situation after all these years.

So I have no use for Walmart and I guess that is a little bitter on my end but I have reason cause I saw what they did and it was cold, calculated snuffing out of business after business until they were the only thing available.

I am very sorry for the losses your town suffered. Walmart certainly has its failings. I just wish the movie would compare those failings with its benefits. Would Randall's be selling prescription drugs for $4 now if not for Walmart? I don't think they would.

It's been at least a year I think since I saw the movie and I don't remember all of the aspects, but I remember it being extremely biased.

I am very sorry for the losses your town suffered. Walmart certainly has its failings. I just wish the movie would compare those failings with its benefits. Would Randall's be selling prescription drugs for $4 now if not for Walmart? I don't think they would.

It's been at least a year I think since I saw the movie and I don't remember all of the aspects, but I remember it being extremely biased.

Well now that were on the WalMart bandwagon, About 2 years ago, when I was visiting my grandparents in Mexico, everybody was talking about a "Wal-Mart" coming to town. I see signs outside because they were hiring, Now this is what Wal-Mart is doing in Mexico to shut down the little "convienience-stores", They come in, set shop, (now this version of Walmart is nothing like in the US, These are about a fifth in size), they open up and everybody is happy, then they lower their prices, alot, the general public is estatic, so all the little "convienience store" that were literally on ever corner start to close becuase they can not compete with Wal-Mart. I went back there and sadly in just two years, they have wiped out 85%!! Of ALL the llittle "convienience-stores" in the ENTIRE city (pop. 25,000). This is truly sad, but what is sadly going to happen is once Wal-Mart feels that they completely demolished, then they will raise prices, and people will not have a choice. Truly, Truly a sad thing. :(

First, what small town in South Louisiana? Second, Walmart coming to this area won't be the same as the South Louisiana town. It's mostly chain and big box stores out this way anyway. Especially on a main highway.

Plaquemine, Donaldsonville, other towns.

I agree with you that Walmart will not affect an area such as this as drastically as it did smaller towns. But I still find it odd that they have basically formed themselves into a triangle so to speak of not much more than 10 miles or so. Kinda like squeezing out the Targets and anyone else they can.

Many people like Walmart and ok by me. Just to much bad blood I guess with me to give them my money. That store will put a hurting on many smaller businesses close by though.

Well now that were on the WalMart bandwagon, About 2 years ago, when I was visiting my grandparents in Mexico, everybody was talking about a "Wal-Mart" coming to town. I see signs outside because they were hiring, Now this is what Wal-Mart is doing in Mexico to shut down the little "convienience-stores", They come in, set shop, (now this version of Walmart is nothing like in the US, These are about a fifth in size), they open up and everybody is happy, then they lower their prices, alot, the general public is estatic, so all the little "convienience store" that were literally on ever corner start to close becuase they can not compete with Wal-Mart. I went back there and sadly in just two years, they have wiped out 85%!! Of ALL the llittle "convienience-stores" in the ENTIRE city (pop. 25,000). This is truly sad, but what is sadly going to happen is once Wal-Mart feels that they completely demolished, then they will raise prices, and people will not have a choice. Truly, Truly a sad thing. :(

I've heard a lot of criticism of Wal-Mart, including charges of predatory pricing, (which have never been substantiated). I'm not familiar with charges of their raising prices after eliminating competition.

I've heard a lot of criticism of Wal-Mart, including charges of predatory pricing, (which have never been substantiated). I'm not familiar with charges of their raising prices after eliminating competition.

I wonder what the laws are in Mexico about such anticompetitive practices, because they're pretty strict in the US.

This thread's name should be canged to The Shops at Bella Terra. It doesn't sound as bad.

:)

I started the thread.......I have no issue if the moderator wants to change it to The Shops at Bella Terra.......

I live in the area not far from this new Walmart.....they won't get a dime from me.

I've also seen exactly how Walmart squeezes the little guys out. In my wife's hometown, once a prosperous town with a nice, albeit small downtown district, Walmart moved in in the 1970's. 20 years later the town is controlled by Walmart and few local businesses remain. Most residents who remain work either out of town or for Walmart wages, which ain't much. The town is depressing.

I will continue to give my dollars to Target and Kohls.

So I guess this puts me on record for no apartments next door and no Walmart. I'm thinking my friends will abandon me soon!! B)

I live in the area not far from this new Walmart.....they won't get a dime from me.

I've also seen exactly how Walmart squeezes the little guys out. In my wife's hometown, once a prosperous town with a nice, albeit small downtown district, Walmart moved in in the 1970's. 20 years later the town is controlled by Walmart and few local businesses remain. Most residents who remain work either out of town or for Walmart wages, which ain't much. The town is depressing.

I will continue to give my dollars to Target and Kohls.

So I guess this puts me on record for no apartments next door and no Walmart. I'm thinking my friends will abandon me soon!! B)

Has anyone found out the exact date or month that WalMart will be opening? I have been waiting since last year for this store to open. I understand your concerns about WalMart but isn't that how business is conducted? If all businesses were nice to one another they would all be out of business. No one said big business had manners!

Has anyone found out the exact date or month that WalMart will be opening? I have been waiting since last year for this store to open. I understand your concerns about WalMart but isn't that how business is conducted? If all businesses were nice to one another they would all be out of business. No one said big business had manners!

The latest scheduled opening date is set for Sept.

I understand your concerns about WalMart but isn't that how business is conducted? If all businesses were nice to one another they would all be out of business. No one said big business had manners!

It is certainly what Walmart did to grow. In the early days, they never existed in larger towns. The business matrix was small towns, big volume, dominate and kill the small guys. Demographics clearly show they are after the low/middle income worker......and after they open in any small town, that's exactly the demogaphics several years later, low income and dependancy on Walmart. Just watch the volume of apartments that will be constructed close to Walmart.....they already know the apartments are coming, so they built now.

While I am a very conservative person in viewpoints and believe in the right to profitable business, I cannot condone the intentional slaughter of small towns in the name of "big business" as you put it.

So shop Walmart and feed the machine.....I'll drop my dollars elsewhere.

It is certainly what Walmart did to grow. In the early days, they never existed in larger towns. The business matrix was small towns, big volume, dominate and kill the small guys. Demographics clearly show they are after the low/middle income worker......and after they open in any small town, that's exactly the demogaphics several years later, low income and dependancy on Walmart. Just watch the volume of apartments that will be constructed close to Walmart.....they already know the apartments are coming, so they built now.

While I am a very conservative person in viewpoints and believe in the right to profitable business, I cannot condone the intentional slaughter of small towns in the name of "big business" as you put it.

So shop Walmart and feed the machine.....I'll drop my dollars elsewhere.

Walmart built their business by selling cheaper than everyone else. They run the most efficient supply chain in the world and are fanatical about controlling expense. They pass that on to their customers with low prices and have provided an incredible return for their stockholders.

They grew their business by moving into markets that every other major retailer was ignoring because those markets were considered too small and had the wrong demographics to be considered profitable. They offered people living in those towns an opportunity to pay comparable prices on goods to what consumers in major cities were paying.

In every one of the small towns that Walmart opened in, people had the right and the ability not to shop there. They chose to because they got better value for their money than they did in other stores in their town.

I agree that there is a Walmart effect that has changed life in small towns, but I don't understand why people blame Walmart for it. If you believe in free market capitalism, you have to accept that this was a change that was inevitable. The average American small town was an inefficient market that not capable of supplying the goods that people wanted at the price that they wanted to pay. If Walmart had not come along, someone else would have.

One last point and I'll finish my rant. There seems to be a perception that Walmart is the behemoth that preys on the little guy, but people always seem to forget that Walmart started as the little guy. Walmart opened as a single store in Rogers, Arkansas (pop 5,700) in 1962. There was no corporation backing it. There was no demographic plan. There was one guy opening a store and figuring out that he could give people what they wanted. He then opened more stores with the same formula from town to town and built the largest retail company in the world.

So go ahead and blame Walmart for destroying small town life. While you're at it, go ahead and blame Henry Ford for pollution, Ray Kroc for obesity, and Philo Farnsworth for destroying literacy.

Walmart built their business by selling cheaper than everyone else. They run the most efficient supply chain in the world and are fanatical about controlling expense. They pass that on to their customers with low prices and have provided an incredible return for their stockholders.

They grew their business by moving into markets that every other major retailer was ignoring because those markets were considered too small and had the wrong demographics to be considered profitable. They offered people living in those towns an opportunity to pay comparable prices on goods to what consumers in major cities were paying.

In every one of the small towns that Walmart opened in, people had the right and the ability not to shop there. They chose to because they got better value for their money than they did in other stores in their town.

I agree that there is a Walmart effect that has changed life in small towns, but I don't understand why people blame Walmart for it. If you believe in free market capitalism, you have to accept that this was a change that was inevitable. The average American small town was an inefficient market that not capable of supplying the goods that people wanted at the price that they wanted to pay. If Walmart had not come along, someone else would have.

One last point and I'll finish my rant. There seems to be a perception that Walmart is the behemoth that preys on the little guy, but people always seem to forget that Walmart started as the little guy. Walmart opened as a single store in Rogers, Arkansas (pop 5,700) in 1962. There was no corporation backing it. There was no demographic plan. There was one guy opening a store and figuring out that he could give people what they wanted. He then opened more stores with the same formula from town to town and built the largest retail company in the world.

So go ahead and blame Walmart for destroying small town life. While you're at it, go ahead and blame Henry Ford for pollution, Ray Kroc for obesity, and Philo Farnsworth for destroying literacy.

^What they said.

KatyResident, please explain the demographics of Walmart suddenly placing yet another store in Katy when they already operate nearly a 1/2 dozen other locations, including a Sams in our small town? Just how many Walmarts will it take before Target leaves town, or Kohls, or......

Just a few documented facts below regarding Walmart that certainly support my arguement.

Monday, December 10, 2007

A Succinct Indictment of Wal-Mart

"'Always low prices', always low standards for corporate responsibility. Wal-Mart dominates the U.S., Canadian, and Mexican markets and is currently China's eighth-largest trading partner. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart confines its leadership to the realm of sales and in other areas promotes the attitude that virtually everything--products, workers, or even communities--can be disposable . Wal-Mart may drive prices down, but it drags the quality of life for millions of people down with it. With hundreds of employees dependent on public assistance to meet their basic needs, American taxpayers subsidize Wal-Mart's low prices at the rate of roughly $420,750 a year for every 200-employee store by paying for low-income services. Women working for Wal-Mart have been denied equal opportunities for advancement. Wal-Mart hurts U.S. communities by undercutting local merchants and increasing urban sprawl, and its suppliers have been cited for labor and human rights violations."

Wal-Mart vs. CostCo

It's not hard to make a case that Costco pays employees more. The most relevant comparison is between Costco and Sam's Club, Wal-Mart's membership warehouse, since both business models rely on membership fees for a large percentage of revenues. A Sam's Club employee starts at $10 and makes $12.50 after four and a half years. A new Costco employee, at $11 an hour, doesn't start out much better, but after four and a half years she makes $19.50 an hour. In addition to this, she receives something called an "extra check"

Archived