Art Car Parade reminder

sevfiv

Saturday, May 13

Everyones Art Car Parade 1pm

More than 250 amazing mobile works of art dazzle over 200,000 spectators along Allen Parkway and one block of Bagby in Downtown.

Art CARtailgater! 9am to 1pm

Tailgaiting Art Car Style! Thousands of people get to Allen Parkway early to watch the vehicles line up, talk to the artists, listen to the live bands participating, and get a good long look at the amazing mobile works of art.

Traffic Jam! 3pm to 5pm

Allen Parkway stays closed for a few extra hours to provide more opportunities to enjoy the Art Cars, live music, games, food, fun and the world's most colorful Traffic JAM!

also...

Kinky Friedman, Grand Marshall Emeritus

Come see Texas' next Governor rolling through Houston in a Kinky-fied Plymouth Prowler. Kinky Friedman will ride in the 19th Annual Houston Art Car Parade as Grand Marshal Emeritus, Saturday, May 13th. The parade begins at 1pm at the intersection of Taft and Allen Parkway. The parade route follows Allen Parkway to Bagby and loops back to Taft.

Make some signs, show your support!

For more information visit The Orange Show or call the Kinky Friedman for Governor Campaign at 512-326-KINK

How did yall come up with a Jesus Monkey car???

Well, I had nothing to do with it, I just drive it during the parade. My office-mate at work is the art car artist and owner. He has some sort of fixation with Jesus' and Monkeys, so he combined them into an art car, it's a sight to see. I get the honor of driving the car while he parades around in costume on his banana scooter. Last year he was The Jesus Monkey, dressed as Jesus with a monkey face. This year he will be Super Jesus Monkey, dressed as a superhero with, of course, a monkey face, cape and costume. I will just be wearing a hat and banana nose glasses, driving. So if you see us, holler out "GROOVEHOUSE!" and if I can find ya, I'll honk or wave or something...

See ya there!

Wasn't able to make the Art Car Parade proper, but was walking down Montrose when they disbanded. Saw the Jesus Monkey car and screamed "HEY GROOOOOOVEHOUSE!" but turns out that the actual owner was driving it himself. Spoke with him later and he was amused that groovehouse had his very own fanclub already. :wub:

Wanna know something creepy/neat about the JesusMonkey car? Its inspection expires at the end of next month, and the registration's good though the end of this year. So the stickers on his windshield appear as follows:

6-6

oooooh......was that planned?

Wanna know something creepy/neat about the JesusMonkey car? Its inspection expires at the end of next month, and the registration's good though the end of this year. So the stickers on his windshield appear as follows:

6-6

oooooh......was that planned?

bigtex, do you sit around and think this stuff up, or does it just hit while you sit in a bluish haze water filtered ganja?

Archived