You live by the machete, you die by the machete

Heights2Bastrop

Just got back from town. Bad news.

There are three Mexican restaurants in the main shopping area of Bastrop; Guadalajara and Jalisco, both chains, and Nuevo Mexico, the only one of the three we go to. Two of these were open today, and one was not. Anyone wanna guess which one was closed?

There was a sign on the door saying,

A popcorn store in my neighborhood was closed, but other than that it was business as usual, even though I'm five blocks from where 400,000 people were marching.

The only thing I noticed different on the "Day Without Immigrants" was that the city was a lot quieter. I think I heard one car horn all day. Normally it's a cacophany of horns.

I have two theories on this.

1: All the cab drivers were immigrants who took the day off to march.

Or

2: All the cab drivers were over by the march trying to pick up fares.

But both of my theories are negated by the fact that there were plenty of taxis around today.

Still, the quiet was nice for a change. None of the skyscraper construction projects stopped in their tracks, I assume because they're all well-paid union jobs.

Funny, there was no shortage of day-laborers at the Home Depot on Bellaire & Beltway 8 today. Maybe they didn't get the memo?

Maybe they wanted to eat.

This "nationwide" event wasn't very well coordinated. In some cities, students were told to skip school. In others they were told that was the opposite of the intended spirit of the event. Some places, people were told they had to march at exactly noon. In others, the rallies were held after working hours so that people wouldn't have to miss work. Of course, that assumes that the marchers work 9-5. But if many of these people are cleaning people and day laborers, then that's not true.

If I am reading this right, we are boycotting a business for participating in democracy? Disgusting. It all sounds like hysteria to me.
I beg to differ, but what the boycott is supporting is the farthest thing from Democracy. It is supporting Anarchy. These illegals are demanding

Actually Bastrop, what I read into your little story is that the little guy (cause I am assuming it was the non-chain that was closed) has to find ways to compete with the mega corporations. Or, maybe the mega corporations could afford to tell their workers "if you don't show up on Monday, you're fired."?

Or, maybe it's as simple as the non-chain owners have actually gotten to KNOW their workers and that they have come to care for them and support them?

Anyway, enjoy your life at TacoBell and Walmart because that will certainly make America a better place!

I guess the only good news right now is for gays + lesbians because the radical right is too busy fighting another group over their "demands."

Actually Bastrop, what I read into your little story is that the little guy (cause I am assuming it was the non-chain that was closed) has to find ways to compete with the mega corporations. Or, maybe the mega corporations could afford to tell their workers "if you don't show up on Monday, you're fired."?

Or, maybe it's as simple as the non-chain owners have actually gotten to KNOW their workers and that they have come to care for them and support them?

Anyway, enjoy your life at TacoBell and Walmart because that will certainly make America a better place!

I guess the only good news right now is for gays + lesbians because the radical right is too busy fighting another group over their "demands."

Bastrop is exercising his LEGAL right to refuse to spend his hard earned money at that particular place of business. What does that have to do with gays and lesbians?

Bastrop is exercising his LEGAL right to refuse to spend his hard earned money at that particular place of business. What does that have to do with gays and lesbians?

The misplaced anger of the right is now on the Mexicans!

I agree.

Funny thing is, in most communities, Wal-mart puts more strain on local budgets than illegal immigrants. The company's policies are quite harmful from deliberately building outside of smaller towns' school tax districts (so they don't have to pay) to not providing healthcare benefits or even refusing to hire a majority of their workforce at full-time hours.

Additionally, Wal-Mart damages local tax rolls in other ways too. They undercut mom and pop stores so sales taxes are lower, especially when those other businesses have to close. They don't pay their employees as well so income taxes are dilluted. Additionally, they buy a large % of their merchandise from overseas so local manufacturers are hurt.

I think we should demonize Wal-Mart next. At least they'd deserve it!

Additionally, Wal-Mart damages local tax rolls in other ways too. They undercut mom and pop stores so sales taxes are lower, especially when those other businesses have to close. so income taxes are dilluted. Additionally, they buy a large % of their merchandise from overseas so local manufacturers are hurt.

I think we should demonize Wal-Mart next. At least they'd deserve it!

But there so damn convenient.

No actually, I rather shop at Target.. always find them to be slightly cleaner and less shoppers get in my way.

Here's the one thing I don't agree with on the argument by those that despise Walmart.

"They don't pay their employees as well"

People don't have to work for Walmart. Who's fault is it that Walmart gets away with paying so little and not allowing people to work full-time ? It the fault of those that work for them and allow them to get away with it.

It's not the shoppers that should boycott walmart.. its the workers.

Even in small towns.. there is always somewhere else to work. People got by and worked before the evil Walmarts rolled into town. Here in Houston, equally as crappy, yet alternatvie jobs are everywhere.

It's like Sonic. I don't tip the sonic girl that brings me my food. My reason.. it's just another fast food restaurant. Just becasue they choose to setup their restaurant in a way that requires them to walk an extra 50 ft to deliver my food, doesn't earn them a tip in my books. My friends would argue that 'but they are paid very little and have to reply on tips' ..... Then why the heck are they working for Sonic ? Why allow themselved to be used that way....

There is always someplace better to work.

OH PUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE ! That has to be THE worst post EVER on this forum. So, in your opinion, where should this "anger" be directed ?

"Wal-Mart Associates don't earn enough to support a family

The national median family budget in the United States for a two-person family (one parent and one child) in 1999 was $23,705, well above the average associate's annual wages of $13,861. [

From my discussions with many people (at least 30), this issue cuts across party lines. I'm an independent myself (Go Friedman and Strayhorn), and I think that this is an American issue, rather than a Republican or Democrat issue.

I don't think anythign can be done to bring down walmart.

The Costco Challenge: An Alternative to Wal-Martization? (July 5, 2005)

by Moira Herbst

Critics believe that Wal-Mart should play the role General Motors played after World War II

HeightsYankee-

Thanks for the great information. Much appreciated. I hadn't seen that article before.

It amazes me that people KNOW what Wal-Mart does to a community but they still shop there without remorse. In the end though, we'll pay as a society if we don't change our selfish ways. The middle class continues to slowly disappear while the number of kids growing up in poverty (most live in households were the guardian(s) works) is greatly increasing.

HeightsYankee-

Thanks for the great information. Much appreciated. I hadn't seen that article before.

It amazes me that people KNOW what Wal-Mart does to a community but they still shop there without remorse. In the end though, we'll pay as a society if we don't change our selfish ways. The middle class continues to slowly disappear while the number of kids growing up in poverty (most live in households were the guardian(s) works) is greatly increasing.

Would like to help but my money is going to illegal aliens, i dont know if theres enough to go around for American citizens........

Would like to help but my money is going to illegal aliens, i dont know if theres enough to go around for American citizens........

If you're doing something illegal by hiring them, then you shouldn't be one complaining about them.

Archived