Mod Listings

rps324

One of the "Over $200k" properties was sent out as the April "Mod of the Month" from Houston Mod.

April Mod of the Month

7711 Lakewind Houston, Tx 77061 MLS# 8780128 Glenbrook Valley subdivision

Per the current owners, the home was constructed about 1959 by an executive with Dow Chemical. Architect is unknown. The home is in very near original condition and features poured terrazzo flooring, vaulted ceilings, extensive interior redwood trim, original cabinetry & fixtures, & cove lighting. Situated on a rolling, hilly, wooded lot over 36,000 sq ft. HCAD reports the square footage at 3972. The home has 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, both formal living & dining, a den, & study. The home will be open for viewing this Sunday April 9th from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM. This is an interesting home for fans of mid- century modern & worth viewing whether you are in the market for a home or not!

Yeah, that is RPS' open house on sunday. The collective "We" are hoping to attend for mod interest reasons.

In RPS' latest listing, there is this cool sink/vanity. has anyone seen one like this before in other houses? I think its pretty cool. I like the way the faucet is mounted on the angled surface.

hr1659191-6.jpg

In RPS' latest listing, there is this cool sink/vanity. has anyone seen one like this before in other houses? I think its pretty cool. I like the way the faucet is mounted on the angled surface.

hr1659191-6.jpg

That would be either a Crane or American Standard fixture .. and the cabinet came with. I remember a color magazine ad in a '58 BH&G showing that as the latest thing ...

i've long admired 1602 south blvd. it was built in the 40's and appears to have prairie style influences. i've heard that it was designed by a student of FLW. anyone in the know? as i've learned about mckee and kamrath, i've wondered if they were the architects of note.

Recently I have been thinking the same thing about the house on South Blvd looking like a Mackie/Kamrath. It is only a few homes down from where one of my friends live. I've loved that house for years. It looks straight out of Chicago.

Another one of the over $200K mods that I liked was 8010 Mandell. I would love to get my hands on this place! 7 Pine Forest looks like it might be cool too.

59 Tiel Way has to be one of Houston's best houses and is on my favorite street. Such a great place!

That would be either a Crane or American Standard fixture .. and the cabinet came with. I remember a color magazine ad in a '58 BH&G showing that as the latest thing ...

I can't wait to see the inside of this one on Sunday. I've loved it from the time I move to the neighborhood back in '02.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, 8010 Anadell is the address of the mod for sale that I like so much.

The Anadell one is going to be Mod of the Month for May. Karen Derr is having some sort of open house goings on for it as well. If you are on the Houston Mod e-mail list then you will get the info soon.

• 3 weeks later...

The listing of 5706 Warm Springs shows the builder to be Leo E. O'Neal. Thank you for filling in that seldom completed space on the form. He was the builder of my 1961 Parade of Homes house and I'm always searching for more information about him. He seems to have been successful in incorporating many special faetures into his houses to set them far apart from the others while remaining in the price range of the rest of the neighborhood. Better Homes and Gardens Magazine selected O'Neal five times to build the magazine's Idea Home of the Year in Houston.

Here is a quote from one of his 1961 Parade of Homes listings:

LEO homes invite every cliche phrase such as spacious, unique, different, fascinating, and wonderful. Such spindle-shanked phrases totter under the sheer weight of truth. You must see them to understand. Today- see the Parade. Visit all the homes. Then see LEO's homes. You'll see why Better Homes and Gardens magazine five times selected and honored LEO exclusively as Houston's Idea Builder.

Both of the houses he built for the 1961 parade were sold the first weekend of the show, according to Lars Bang, architect of the houses.

He also built houses in Venetian Estates and in Braeburn Glen where he featured his penthouse concept. In 1969, his office was located in the Central National Bank Building at 2100 Travis on the fifth floor. Also shown to be in his office was Chateau Portofino, Portofino Harbor House, and Portofino Village.

Thanks much for the continued updates on the Mod listings! Keep em coming!

I'm moving from Atlanta to Houston in a few months, so am looking more closely at the real estate market down there. Thanks to this board, I'm getting more interested in the Mod concept. So much more interesting than a Woodlands McMansion (though budget restraints may force me into an area like the Woodlands/Pearland/etc. for now).

The listing of 5706 Warm Springs shows the builder to be Leo E. O'Neal. Thank you for filling in that seldom completed space on the form. He was the builder of my 1961 Parade of Homes house and I'm always searching for more information about him. He seems to have been successful in incorporating many special faetures into his houses to set them far apart from the others while remaining in the price range of the rest of the neighborhood. Better Homes and Gardens Magazine selected O'Neal five times to build the magazine's Idea Home of the Year in Houston.

Here is a quote from one of his 1961 Parade of Homes listings:

LEO homes invite every cliche phrase such as spacious, unique, different, fascinating, and wonderful. Such spindle-shanked phrases totter under the sheer weight of truth. You must see them to understand. Today- see the Parade. Visit all the homes. Then see LEO's homes. You'll see why Better Homes and Gardens magazine five times selected and honored LEO exclusively as Houston's Idea Builder.

Both of the houses he built for the 1961 parade were sold the first weekend of the show, according to Lars Bang, architect of the houses.

He also built houses in Venetian Estates and in Braeburn Glen where he featured his penthouse concept. In 1969, his office was located in the Central National Bank Building at 2100 Travis on the fifth floor. Also shown to be in his office was Chateau Portofino, Portofino Harbor House, and Portofino Village.

The Warm Springs house will be open Sunday 2 to 4. That one is a good one too!!! If you get a chance come see it.

The Warm Springs house will be open Sunday 2 to 4. That one is a good one too!!! If you get a chance come see it.

The links no longer work. Any change of getting them refreshed. No hurry. I get a kick out of these listings. Some great architecture.

For all that missed it yesterday the Warm Springs house that Robert has listed is a great house. My wife and I went to view it and were very impressed with the layout, room sizes, and without a doubt the overall ambience with the great furniture and concrete floors.

I only wish it was located on at least double the lot and was a tad cheaper!!! I'm sorry that I missed the open house on Lake Wind it looks great as well.

Scharpe St Guy

• 2 weeks later...
The one on Ames in Spring has been on & off the market. I have been in that one and it is really awesome. Lots of poured terrazzo, centered around a courtyard. All for a whopping $125k range.

That is a lovely setting. Too bad its in far north BFE.

Not sure what the agent was thinking taking a picture highlighting an upside down trampoline. I was trying to find the BBQ in the picture and thought at first it may have been a covered small pool, then 2c+2c led to the answer of an upside down trampoline!

Nice house though but it is far north.

Scharpe St Guy

That is a lovely setting. Too bad its in far north BFE.

Ames is nice... and, agreed - North BFE.

Holy Crap @ Meyerland prices... That Maplewood spot for $215k is looking like a deal (didn't look at the map yet, tho... it may not be the part of Maplewood that is really moving.)

• 3 weeks later...

I still love 8010 Anadell @ $499, and WOW I really love 3611 N. Braeswood @ $525. That place is really cool. Really, really, ridiculously cool! (For those of you wondering...yes, I just channeled Derek Zoolander.) It looks like something straight out of Trousdale Estates in Beverly Hills, Ca. All this place needs is some landscaping and maybe a few color changes inside.

I still love 8010 Anadell @ $499, and WOW I really love 3611 N. Braeswood @ $525. That place is really cool. Really, really, ridiculously cool! (For those of you wondering...yes, I just channeled Derek Zoolander.) It looks like something straight out of Trousdale Estates in Beverly Hills, Ca. All this place needs is some landscaping and maybe a few color changes inside.

I think that one is going to be the mod of the month for July. We should have some open house dates soon.

Archived