I need a interior decorator who really understands mid century style

missjanel

Well my second decorator just left and she just didn't get it. I guess there isn't a lot of demand in Houston for mid century but you would think that there was at least one decorator in town who knew what I'm talking about. I'm so frustrated. Can anyone recommend a interior decorator?

Karen is amazing. She's not the only one in Houston (I can think of others you'd be in good hands with as well), but she's great! At least give her a call and see her own house before you decide. Hey, if you're on the fence, PM me and you can come by our place. It's a testimonial.

She knows the "icons" and how they function together, which is what we wanted as much as possible, but she also has a great eye for practical MCM furniture that doesn't necessarily have the name Eames, Nelson, or Knoll on it. Those have become some of my favorite pieces. In the shop I'd say "I don't know about that one, Karen" and she'd say "let's put it in your house and see what you think" and sure enough it would be perfect. Also, she wants to work with you to get the look you want, and not just tell you to come back when she is done. By working with her and with Travis we were able to say "we're looking for this or that", and he'd be able to either locate the item or pounce on it when it became available to him. There wasn't a tulip table in TX for sale that he didn't know about. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it felt that way sometimes.

Beware, you will buy a few things you don't NEED, but nothing you don't WANT.

Good Luck!

Jason

There are two I know of. PM me & I will give you the info.

Well my second decorator just left and she just didn't get it. I guess there isn't a lot of demand in Houston for mid century but you would think that there was at least one decorator in town who knew what I'm talking about. I'm so frustrated. Can anyone recommend a interior decorator?

so you are looking for interior decorator, not interior designer?

so you are looking for interior decorator, not interior designer?

Yes I am looking for an interior decorator, not an interior designer. I specifically want some help with color, space planning, and furnishings. I do not need help with making upgrades, restorations or improvements to my home since it will likely be torn down when I sell it. It is not a modern home in design, it is a small, plain, and non-descript 1950 ranch. I would like help choosing furniture and accessories that are more in scale with a home of this size and improve poor lighting conditions. I am partial to Heywood Wakefield however I am openminded and would like to have someone elses opinion and analysis of my home and it's weaknesses.

• 3 months later...

I don't know anything about decorators, but if you are interested in Heywood Wakefield furniture, my husband has some he would like to sell. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you pictures. Janet

I don't know anything about decorators, but if you are interested in Heywood Wakefield furniture, my husband has some he would like to sell. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you pictures. Janet

Thanks Janet. I just sent you an email.

Shoot, post those pics here. You may have another buyer, not trying to snipe you Janet. I like Heywood also. My cousin has a dining room set that I have been trying to talk her out of for years.

PM me, there is a designer on the board of Houston Mod that is an expert on the look.

Travis at Metro Modern has a Heywood Wakefield vanity with mirror that is pretty cute. If we didn't have a built in vanity...

We have the "Harmonic Mr. & Mrs." set of drawers in our master bedroom and we are very happy with it. They only made the Harmonic series for a year or 2 in the late 50s. They are a little more "squared off" than the scuptura.

We got it from here:

http://www.strictlyheywake.com/

and the guy just happened to be coming to Houston for another delivery so he delivered it personally.

But, if I ever hit it rich, I want a Nelson Thin Edge bedroom set and I'll give the Heywood Wakefield to a good friend...

Shoot, post those pics here. You may have another buyer, not trying to snipe you Janet. I like Heywood also. My cousin has a dining room set that I have been trying to talk her out of for years.

Travis at Metro Modern has a Heywood Wakefield vanity with mirror that is pretty cute. If we didn't have a built in vanity...

We have the "Harmonic Mr. & Mrs." set of drawers in our master bedroom and we are very happy with it. They only made the Harmonic series for a year or 2 in the late 50s. They are a little more "squared off" than the scuptura.

We got it from here:

and the guy just happened to be coming to Houston for another delivery so he delivered it personally.

But, if I ever hit it rich, I want a Nelson Thin Edge bedroom set and I'll give the Heywood Wakefield to a good friend...

Jason,

Wow. I'm impressed that you got your dresser delivered. I bought a dinette table from Chris Parody but I had to pay shipping. :(

Janel

I was lucky. He said "Can you wait until July? I'm coming to Houston to deliver a house full of furniture." (this was 2005) and I said, "You're not going to believe it, but we're not moving in until July, so that's perfect." The only unfortunate thing was that he had already sold the matching high-boy. They are hard to find, so I'm not counting on finding one... And by the time I do I swear I'm going to have that Thin Edge, ha ha.

I did have to pay a delivery fee, but it was probably $100 less than I would have paid shipping. One of the other great things about having Travis and Karen's help is that they don't charge delivery. We've built up a great relationship and they know what we like.

Jason

We got it from here:

Jason,

Wow. I'm impressed that you got your dresser delivered. I bought a dinette table from Chris Parody but I had to pay shipping. :(

Janel

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, My name is Karen Stodelle. I did Jason and Vanessa house. I have a mid-century store here in town and know quite a bit about mcm. Let me know if i can help you~~ 713-447-7171 the store addy is 2337 1/2 Milam. The Mod Pod and Metro Modern. All the best, Karen Stodelle ps, I noticed someone mentioned our names but got the spelling incorrect ;)

Hi, My name is Karen Stodelle. I did Jason and Vanessa house. I have a mid-century store here in town and know quite a bit about mcm. Let me know if i can help you~~ 713-447-7171 the store addy is 3227 1/2 Milam. The Mod Pod and Metro Modern. All the best, Karen Stodelle ps, I noticed someone mentioned our names but got the spelling incorrect ;)
SORRY FOR THE INCORRECT ADDY THE FIRST TIME~ IT'S LATE THANKS, KAREN

Archived