Mod plight du jour

rps324

I was talking with the owners of this great little mod today. They had rented it out & it got abused, so they are fixing it up to sell. They have one person interested, and one of the things they were going to do for her, was to slather the entire outside in STUCCO! :blink: Thus ruining another great mod with Floyd-esce type lines.

The house appears to be good structurally and with the systems. Supposedly they put in A/C, redid wiring and sewer lines, etc. All of which would still need to be inspected and verified by an inspector of course. But taking all that at face value it appears it just needs cosmetic "undoings" for the most part.

Flooring choices are not what most modernists would want, although they could easily be cured with industrial style carpet squares or something like that if you didn't want to pull up the tile. Engineered hardwoods in the bedrooms which are easy to replace if you want something different. The baths have been completely redone and the kitchen has the granite, etc. I think there are some easy fixes on some of those things that would probably not appeal to most modernists palates.

I would like to see someone step up and save this one. It is a great corner lot and the house is over 2000 sq ft. They want around $150k for it. It does have lots of vaulted ceilings & clerestory windows. If anybody is interested, PM me and I will get you the info. 7703 Glenlea, 77061.

I just wouldn't be able to stand going by and seeing it slathered in stucco!

IMG_0107.jpg

I just have one word: AGGGH!

There's been so many materials that were developed presumably for the sole purpose of screwing up nice architecture. First it was asphalt shingles Then it was asbestos shingles. Then it was aluminum siding. Then, vinyl siding.

But the worst by far is this horrible stucco. Can't a 501c(3) or something be started to educate people, before it spreads any further? :o

No it's in Glenbrook, corner of Glenlea & Glenloch.

I think I saw that house. If it's what I'm thinking of, I went to an estate sale in the house next door a couple of weeks ago. I remember telling my mom that I would like to see that house. It has some great lines outside.

I happen to like SOME of the updates that people do when they use stucco, especially on the Mods. I am not a purist I guess on the era. If it is done tastefully, you have to admit , it doesn't look bad.

I happen to like SOME of the updates that people do when they use stucco, especially on the Mods. I am not a purist I guess on the era. If it is done tastefully, you have to admit , it doesn't look bad.

First you defend Bush now you defend stucco. Thats it! It's go time. Playground. After school!

If you are going for the "Hacienda" look, it is a great alternative to "adobe" !

Speaking of hacienda. How 'bout them hacienda fences with the huge double open doors, usually adorned with two gold toned lions. But to be a true hacienda fence the fence itself must be worth more than the house it surrounds. :P

Don't worry, just because you have bad taste does not mean you're a bad person :D

:o !

I thought you Libs were supposed to be the open-minded ones. Guess I'll have to enter a program that helps people get over stucco, I'll start looking around for an SA meeting. :P

Speaking of hacienda. How 'bout them hacienda fences with the huge double open doors, usually adorned with two gold toned lions. But to be a true hacienda fence the fence itself must be worth more than the house it surrounds. :P

Let's not go overboard now ! :lol:

Guest danax
what is wrong with stucco again???

What's "wrong" in this case would be it's "improper" use and the resulting destruction of the original architectural statement. I've been on both sides of this. Most people have no deep interest in architecture so they will do things that will grate upon those that do. With interest comes study, with study comes knowledge, with knowledge comes refined sensitivity and appreciation for the smaller details and, with that, comes the same degree of sensitivity to changes that "destroy" all of that.

There's another potential problem with stucco, but first there has to be a distinction made between true stucco, which is a thick cement coating usually applied over chicken wire, and "fake stucco", known as EIFS (exterior insulating and finish system). The former is common in drier climates and the latter is fairly popular these days everywhere and consists of a thin coat of stucco applied over styrofoam panels. There have been some serious problems with this at times.

I'm no expert but you've got to wonder about the potential problems with this stuff when you've got cheap, unskilled labor applying it in many cases.

There used to be this really cute mod at 2 Gessner right on the bayou. If you are heading north on Gessner, pass Briar Forest, go over the bayou bridge and its the first house on the right. It was all brick and wood construction but whoever bought it last year (I was considering it) just slathered it in stucco. It is now a bright yellow and has what I consider some atrocious "flair".. just shy of gargoyles.

This is what it used to look like (I dont have any new pics):

hr1395101-1.jpg

what is wrong with stucco again???

In addition to the reasons listed by danax, stucco has rightfully earned a reputation as the material of choice for extremely low-end construction and renovation. Like pancake makeup, it can cover a multitude of sins - temporarily. Because it's cheap and easy to apply, stucco is used to conceal shoddy workmanship, termite damage, and cracks resulting from failed foundations. Not only does the original problem remain, it often is exacerbated because the stucco interferes with water drainage and the ability of a structure to 'breathe'.

Remember those 'popcorn ceilings' which were popular a few years ago (and perhaps stiil are, in the more economically disadvantaged areas)? The whole point of them was that a contractor didn't have to do any prep work - just spray the crap over existing loose plaster, grime, spider webs and Gawd knows what all. The fact that they were impossible to paint and clean may have lead to their diminished popularity.

I cannot imagine why anyone would purposely request this stuff to be sprayed on the beautiful stone facade shown in the picture, aside from ignorance. The sad part is that this 'remuddling' is so difficult to undo that it might doom the house from being brought back to its original condition by a subsequent owner.

What's "wrong" in this case would be it's "improper" use and the resulting destruction of the original architectural statement. I've been on both sides of this. Most people have no deep interest in architecture so they will do things that will grate upon those that do. With interest comes study, with study comes knowledge, with knowledge comes refined sensitivity and appreciation for the smaller details and, with that, comes the same degree of sensitivity to changes that "destroy" all of that.

for what reasons do they do that? i mean people specify plaster or stucco over brick (not veneered) or cmu to achieve smooth surface for whatever aesthetic or structural reasons that dicourage the use of stucco on lath. but for existing house, to cover up the mess? i'm still learning human psychology.

In addition to the reasons listed by danax, stucco has rightfully earned a reputation as the material of choice for extremely low-end construction and renovation. Like pancake makeup, it can cover a multitude of sins - temporarily. Because it's cheap and easy to apply, stucco is used to conceal shoddy workmanship, termite damage, and cracks resulting from failed foundations. Not only does the original problem remain, it often is exacerbated because the stucco interferes with water drainage and the ability of a structure to 'breathe'.

Remember those 'popcorn ceilings' which were popular a few years ago (and perhaps stiil are, in the more economically disadvantaged areas)? The whole point of them was that a contractor didn't have to do any prep work - just spray the crap over existing loose plaster, grime, spider webs and Gawd knows what all. The fact that they were impossible to paint and clean may have lead to their diminished popularity.

I cannot imagine why anyone would purposely request this stuff to be sprayed on the beautiful stone facade shown in the picture, aside from ignorance. The sad part is that this 'remuddling' is so difficult to undo that it might doom the house from being brought back to its original condition by a subsequent owner.

"Pancake makeup" is a good analogy. The surprising thing to me is how ubiquitous that stucco has become, especially as used to "update" or "modernize" older buildings. Particularly with respect to commercial architecture, I think it will be remembered as the signature style of this decade, especially when painted beige. Is a scary thought, but perhaps future generations will treasure examples of beige stucco from the 2000s, and fight to preserve them. :ph34r:

i'm still learning human psychology.

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm still learning human psychology, too.

From what I've learned to this point, people tend to follow the crowd - unless they have sufficient knowlege and courage not to. An architectural example: I grew up in upstate New York, which is loaded with 19th century farmhouses, many of which were well-constructed of superior materials. In the 50s and 60s tract and manufactured housing (mobile homes) arrived on the scene. Because many were built on the cheap, they introduced such materials as aluminum and vinyl siding, textured ceilings, fake-wood paneling and artificial brick. Many owners of existing houses assumed that "new is better", and also bought into the dubious claims of zero maintenance made by the manufacturers of these products.

So original hand-plastered walls were covered with Masonite fake paneling, hand-hewn clapboards covered with fake woodgrain vinyl, true divided light wood frame windows with flimsy, badly proportioned aluminum ones, high ceilings obscured by suspended ones. In some cases there were practical concerns; often it was done just to give the ol' place a facelift.

Rather ironic that people seem to prefer the cheap and fake imitations to the genuine and irreplaceable originals.It's new, it cost money, it's different, it's the current style, so it has to be better...doesn't it? <_<

edit:

The point (and I do have one) that I'm trying to make: this house has a stone facade. To replicate it would requre the use of expensive materials and skilled workmen. Instead the prospective buyers have asked for a material which is currently popular because it's cheap and any undocumented worker can slap it up in a day. Further, because the house wasn't built with this material in mind the stucco may cause future problems with the masonry. As I said earlier...AGGGH!

Archived