Mod kitchen remodel advice needed

stolitx

I'm finally doing some minor remoldeling to my kitchen. Currently there is laminate/formica countertops and laminate backsplash. There is the small piece of metal "molding" where the countertop and backsplash meet. It appears to be aluminum, but not sure.

I'm getting new laminated countertops in solid black and changing the backsplash to a mosaic tile (in white, lime green and black). Here are my 2 questions:

Does anyone know where you can find the metal "molding" piece? Or even what it's officially called? I'm not sure in removing the original if I will be able to save it all. But I'd like to keep the look of that piece.

Also, would black matte or black gloss (semi or otherwise) laminate be best in keeping with the mod kitchen? The original laminate is so dull I'm not sure what it looked like in it's original state.

Your countertop and backsplash remodel sound like a great idea. I love your color choices.

I found an article on diynet.com that referenced the (yes, it is aluminum) trim. Apparently the company does not have a web site. Here's the info they listed...

Eagle Mouldings

Maple Grove, MN 55369

Phone: 763-493-2995

and here is a link to the article mentioned above, scroll down to "References"...

http://www.diynet.com/diy/home_improvement...2278814,00.html

One problem I can see is that the aluminum cove molding is made to butt together two pieces of laminate. But they might have something for your tile backsplash. Unfortunately it doesn't give you the same detail but you could caulk the corner as another option.

As for your second question, I don't know if the gloss black would be more in keeping with the mod look. It's not exactly the same application but I painted the concrete floors in my laundry room a gloss black. I love the look but it shows every spec of dirt! IMG_0115_1.jpg Sorry about the pic, I was more interested in photographing the cabinets (the paint also needs some touch-up work).

What about your mosaic tile? Is it glossy or matte? Why not get samples of your laminate options and hold it up to the mosaic tile? This would give you a better idea of how the colors might look in the kitchen.

Anywho...I hope this helps.

Also, would black matte or black gloss (semi or otherwise) laminate be best in keeping with the mod kitchen? The original laminate is so dull I'm not sure what it looked like in it's original state.

I can not remember seeing any laminate finish other than gloss before 1967 or so. You can contact Wilsonart. They have much information about historically appropriate laminates. They can even reproduce any pattern, for a small set-up fee, if you provide them with a picture of what pattern you want in the laminate.

2b.jpg

Wilson House- Kitchen...Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

I'm finally doing some minor remoldeling to my kitchen. Currently there is laminate/formica countertops and laminate backsplash. There is the small piece of metal "molding" where the countertop and backsplash meet. It appears to be aluminum, but not sure.

I'm getting new laminated countertops in solid black and changing the backsplash to a mosaic tile (in white, lime green and black). Here are my 2 questions:

Does anyone know where you can find the metal "molding" piece? Or even what it's officially called? I'm not sure in removing the original if I will be able to save it all. But I'd like to keep the look of that piece.

I you want a real 50's look, check out the recently re-introduced Formica 'Boomerang' pattern in laminate - see the detail in previous thread http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=4745

They have a dark charcoal that might have the look you want - and you can request large 4x5 sample chips for free from the formica.com site.

Thanks for all the tips and links.

I love the Boomerang, and have some samples. But once I choose my mosaic tile, I had to go with a solid laminate. The Boomerang clashed too much.

I'll post some pics once I get the project going.

I loved our contractors and spread their names everywhere I can...

Champion Contractors - Brent Mikeska - 713-898-9817

Reasonable and Reliable!

We didn't do a kitchen, but we did the bathroom tile.

Jason

I'd love to see befores and afters. Also, if you like the contractors you use (if any), please share. My kitchen needs a remodel too.

I'd love to see befores and afters. Also, if you like the contractors you use (if any), please share. My kitchen needs a remodel too.

I won't really be using a contractor for this. Just a DIY project with the counters and backsplash. My brother is a small contractor in Clear Lake area. He'll be helping me. Or in reality I'll be helping him. We've both done tile projects before.

Luckily my cabinets are original so I only re-painted them and put original chevron handles back up. I found them in a bag in the garage.

Jason's house is gorgeous so I would second his recomendation on his contractor.

I loved our contractors and spread their names everywhere I can...

Champion Contractors - Brent Mikeska - 713-898-9817

Reasonable and Reliable!

We didn't do a kitchen, but we did the bathroom tile.

Jason

I'll "third" Jason's recommendation. We used Champion Contractors for our mcm remodel.

Archived