Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

I am not an engineer, but it seems to me there would have been a way to add a small strip to the side of the existing bridge on 11th. Maybe it would have been wide enough to only allow for one-way traffic at a time. But I was at or by the bridge site enough to know that bike traffic across that monster bridge was very sparse. Many people used the hike and bike trail that ran along the bayou, but very few ever used that bridge.

The worst case of bike lanes on streets that I know of is at 43rd and 290. There were three eastbound lanes at that intersection, and creating the bike lane cut that down to two lanes. You now have people jockeying for position to get ahead of the traffic and still be able to cut over to the right lane to turn. It also

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The obstacle to the 11th street bridge has to deal with floodplains.

If you've noticed, the bike bridge is higher. If they were to add the bike lane to the 11th street bridge, they would have to build a completely new bridge and the extra height would requiring rebuilding the intersection of TC Jester and 11th street.

It is not a matter of whether the bike bridge floods. It is the blocking of flood waters under the bridge that is the problem. The old bridge is too low, but grandfathered. If they do work on it, they would have to raise it. So, it is cheaper to not touch the street bridge, but build the bike bridge to proper specs.

Heights2Bastrop, you can't have it both ways. If you're going to build something, it has to be done right, and we can't start blaming the government when they do things right. It was not overkill, it's what some engineering firm said was appropriate. Like KJB434 said, the bike bridge looks too tall only because 11th was not built to today's standards. We talk about these being bike trails in a recreation sense, but to the Federal Government who is doling out grants for these projects, bike paths part of a city's overall transportation schema. Look on the City of Houston website, the Bikeway Program is part of the Public Works department, not the Parks and Recreation department.

The whole 5 mile long trail from 11th to Pinemont cost $4.2 million to build. Do you know how much 5 miles of basic 4 lane road is to build? Do you realize how much it would cost to rebuild 11th? In the grand scheme $4.2 million is pocket change.

The whole 5 mile long trail from 11th to Pinemont cost $4.2 million to build. Do you know how much 5 miles of basic 4 lane road is to build? Do you realize how much it would cost to rebuild 11th? In the grand scheme $4.2 million is pocket change.
I

Heights2Bastrop. You are completely lost on the bike path concept. The bikeways are not meant purely for recreational as mentioned before. They are mean as alternate transportation modes.

I'm working on three Bike trail project right now. The bridge by 11th street is hardly overkill. It just meets MINIMUM standards. The 11th street bridge is substandard for flood protection. They could not build anything lower on the bike bridge without being held liable for flooding someone. The 11th street bridge is old and grandfathered. Also, there is not enough room on the 11th street bridge for a bikepath that is required by the bikeways program.

Also, if anyone is interested, if you measure 1.5 ft bellow the lowest point in the center of the bridge crossing you'll be at the 100-year flood elevation. The distance is probably less now because of TSARP. All bridges that cross a stream with over 5 sqare miles of drainage area upstream have to be at least 1.5 feet above the mapped 100-year floodplain elevation.

You are completely lost on the bike path concept.
And you are completely lost on the concept of Common Sense! What does the flood plain have to do with anything? Who in the hell is gonna be out riding their bike in a flood? And if there is a concern that the bike bridge will be flooded, then why is the bike path over halfway down the bayou embankment in many places?

I don

"What does the flood plain have to do with anything?"

H2B, all of your other arguments about whether the bike path is even worth building aside (You think they are worthless. I think they are worth it), what matters about the flood plain is that if the new bridge is too low, it will cause homes to flood. No one cares about the bridge. It is allowing water to flow under it that is important.

I won't even try to debate the merits of bike paths or bike lanes on 11th Street.

It's not about the riders happening to use the bridge in the flood, it's about not causing increased flooding to the surrounding neighborhood. Imagine if the city came in an built this bridge much lower and the flooding got worse upstream and you flooded, but before the bridge was built you never flooded before.

A lawsuit can easily develop because of this. $4million for this bike path including a bridge built at the current height is well worth it instead of a lawsuit on top of the $4million dollar bike path .

Bridges similar to this have been build across Greens bayou in the Greenspoint where about 3 more miles of trails will be built.

Heights2Bastrop, don't get me wrong, I fully understand what you are saying, especially the part where the trail just dies at the West side of 11th with no plans online showing further extension of the trail. I FULLY realize that the whole thing is over-engineered compared to what could be built. The bicycle enthusiast in me would love to see them save money by putting a simple ashphalt trail along every bayou in Houston and share bridges with cars at every overpass. With the money spent to date on the system, we could have a thousand of miles of that compared to a few hundred.

But, once again, you have to understand these trails aren't being built specifically as recreation trails, they are being built as part of an overall transportation mobility plan for the City. The federal government mandates that the money spent using the grants go to helping air quaility, and is a part of the equation in Houston's air quaility compliance efforts.

Here is a link to the ISTEA act signed by Bush I in 1991 that gives Houston the grants for the bike trail. Take a quick read and tell me if you think we would get Federal Government grants with ashphalt green belts:

Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991

I agree with you on the bang for the buck theory. Chalk it up to federal grant regulations, although I imagine that trail won't fall apart for awhile.

Didn't mean to suggest you didn't like the trail. I thought you were saying the trails were a waste, not just the design. mea culpa.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get the name, but I've met the man at TxDOT who is the project manager for all the bike trail projects in the region. I'm working on the Greens Bayou trail through Greenspoint.

From what I do know of him, he is somewhat of a perfectionists and you couldn't get him to relax a rule if you tried. As long as he is running the ship the new bikeways will be exceptional.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The following response was received from the City of Houston's "Bicycle-Pedestrian Coordinator":

"We don't know where it will begin yet. The contractor will tell us that when they're onboard with TxDOT and have had a chance to review the project. The projected letting for construction is currently April 2007. This date will be fine-tuned once the design is finalized by TxDOT in Houston and Austin. We are addressing what I believe is no final comments. We can then start the timeline to construction letting".

It looks like the promised start date of March 2006 is slipping at least a year.

Adrian Garcia is our city councilman. Please contact his office to let him know the importance of this trail to our neighborhood. Let's get it started!

• 2 weeks later...
The following response was received from the City of Houston's "Bicycle-Pedestrian Coordinator":

"We don't know where it will begin yet. The contractor will tell us that when they're onboard with TxDOT and have had a chance to review the project. The projected letting for construction is currently April 2007. This date will be fine-tuned once the design is finalized by TxDOT in Houston and Austin. We are addressing what I believe is no final comments. We can then start the timeline to construction letting".

It looks like the promised start date of March 2006 is slipping at least a year.

Adrian Garcia is our city councilman. Please contact his office to let him know the importance of this trail to our neighborhood. Let's get it started!

Bike trail update from Councilman Garcia's office:

I'm writing on behalf of Council Member Garcia. The original date of 2006 was quoted at the initial meeting with had with the community, but due to several issues that were brought up at that meeting, a revised set of plans had to be redrawn.

The Council Member wants this project to occur and as soon as possible, but it is very important to him that it is done correctly. While on the walk-through, it became evident especially on 16th street through 19th that there were some issues that had to be resolved. The issues were resolved and the plans were revised. The new plans are available for viewing at the Heights Library.

Currently, the project is 95% complete, and is currently waiting final approval from TX DOT before being sent to Austin. Once it goes to Austin, the contract will be let. They have 5 months after contract is let (for bidding, etc...). Lilibeth is setting the 2007 date, but is hoping it is sooner.

Again, the Council Member wants this project, but did insist on the revisions due to the community feedback, he wants the best trail as possible.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Rebecca C. Reyna

Policy/Agenda Director

Council Member Adrian Garcia - District H

713-437-6480 - direct line

That's just great. Aren't the "issues" between 16th and 19th coming from rich yuppies who built new homes with garages that exit onto the city ROW thinking it's some kind of private alley that the city shouldn't touch with a stinky bike trail that will attract vagrants?

That's just great. Aren't the "issues" between 16th and 19th coming from rich yuppies who built new homes with garages that exit onto the city ROW thinking it's some kind of private alley that the city shouldn't touch with a stinky bike trail that will attract vagrants?

Yep. that about sums it up. They don't want a bike trail going through "their" side yard.

The hold up has been TXDot and the City. It sounds like their problems have now been solved. The residents are disappointed it has been delayed another year.

If you live in the Heights, all of those rich yuppies are helping your property value.

The hold up has been TXDot and the City. It sounds like their problems have now been solved. The residents are disappointed it has been delayed another year.

If you live in the Heights, all of those rich yuppies are helping your property value.

I live on Nicholson Street.

I'm not sure if I'm a yuppie, and I'm certainly not rich, but I'm looking forward to the trail and most certainly do not believe that it will attract vagrants. On the contrary, the new trail + additional lighting should assist in putting an end to some of the incessantly annoying dumping that goes on on the city ROW.

It is possible that the folks with a house backing up to the ROW did not know much about it when moving into the Heights. We didn't learn much about the ROW from our builder. If they had questions, i'm glad that they got them answered. And if the plan can be modified to be a better solution for all, why not take it?

I don't post here often, I'm just sad that the new home owners get such a bad rap from time to time. Please don't lump us all together. If you saw some of the homes that were cleared on Nicholson recently for new construction, you would see that what they are building, even if not the most unique homes or best use of large lots, is an enormous improvement to what was there. I am very happy to see it.

-Denise

I'm not sure if I'm a yuppie, and I'm certainly not rich, but I'm looking forward to the trail and most certainly do not believe that it will attract vagrants. On the contrary, the new trail + additional lighting should assist in putting an end to some of the incessantly annoying dumping that goes on on the city ROW.

It is possible that the folks with a house backing up to the ROW did not know much about it when moving into the Heights. We didn't learn much about the ROW from our builder. If they had questions, i'm glad that they got them answered. And if the plan can be modified to be a better solution for all, why not take it?

I don't post here often, I'm just sad that the new home owners get such a bad rap from time to time. Please don't lump us all together. If you saw some of the homes that were cleared on Nicholson recently for new construction, you would see that what they are building, even if not the most unique homes or best use of large lots, is an enormous improvement to what was there. I am very happy to see it.

-Denise

Well stated.

When I moved to Nicholson there were two crack houses within throwing distance of me. People were on the street at all hours and it was not an especially good place to be after dark.

The City has said it will be up to those homes adjacent to the trail to keep it up and looking good. Myself and my neighbors look forward to doing our part to help the neighborhood. We were disappointed that the project has been delayed another year.

If your city councilman is Adrian Garcia please contact his office to let him know that we want the project to stay on track.

-Denise

Well stated.

When I moved to Nicholson there were two crack houses within throwing distance of me. People were on the street at all hours and it was not an especially good place to be after dark.

The City has said it will be up to those homes adjacent to the trail to keep it up and looking good. Myself and my neighbors look forward to doing our part to help the neighborhood. We were disappointed that the project has been delayed another year.

If your city councilman is Adrian Garcia please contact his office to let him know that we want the project to stay on track.

I have to agree that section of new houses on 18th between Nicholson and Ashland are a fine addition to the area. Who was the builder for those? They did a great job.

I'm sorry if my use of "yuppie" offends you. I myself am 1/2 of a yuppie sub-group called DINK.

This topic was extensively discussed last summer after an article regarding the trail was in the Chron:

Bike Trail

If memory serves, there were some comments in the paper from people who lived on Nicholson who opposed this. They were quoted as saying there would be a danger of bike riders being run over while they backed up out of their driveway. The astute chronicle writer neglected to ask them why they built a driveway over someone else's ROW instead of on Herkimer where they belong, but that's another story. Another comment was regarding the beautiful trees that would be cut down. Once again the astute chron writer neglected to ask what type of tree, of which the answer would be chinese tallow, which are nothing more than very large weeds.

So yes, I am still a little angry over the delay. Construction should have already started.

Archived