An NHL team for Houston?

mattyt36

I surprisingly can't find an article in the general press but the Bond Buyer is reporting the City of Glendale (which built the arena) kicked the Coyotes to the curb and a potential deal with Tempe is on the rocks.

Glendale, Arizona, unties its future from professional hockey | Bond Buyer

In August, the city announced that it would not renew the Coyotes’ lease after the current season, leaving the team without a home arena or even office space lined up for the 2022-2023 season.

Coyotes ownership in September was the only respondent to a request for proposals the city of Tempe set out to develop a city owned 46-acre brownfield site. The
team says it will build an arena and entertainment district there in time for the 2025-26 season. “While the submittal is evaluated, and the city engages in intensive due diligence, Tempe representatives cannot discuss the matter,” the city says on its website. According to a recent report by the website PHNX Sports, the proposal is in trouble at the Tempe City Council level.

(Should this be a separate thread?)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wondering if we did end up with a new (relocated) NHL franchise if the Toyota Center’s days would be numbered?  It’s 20 years old next year, and while I am not advocating its replacement I do understand that with 2 major league teams using it that in the next ~5-10 years I couldn’t imagine the team owners not pushing for a brand new facility.

*assuming we land an NHL franchise*

On 3/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, arche_757 said:

Wondering if we did end up with a new (relocated) NHL franchise if the Toyota Center’s days would be numbered?  It’s 20 years old next year, and while I am not advocating its replacement I do understand that with 2 major league teams using it that in the next ~5-10 years I couldn’t imagine the team owners not pushing for a brand new facility.

I sure would endorse such a plan, as long as it stayed downtown.  The Toyota Center is certainly underwhelming.

On 3/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, arche_757 said:

6 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

I sure would endorse such a plan, as long as it stayed downtown.  The Toyota Center is certainly underwhelming.

Toyota Center isn't going anywhere if anything it will get renovated like they have plans to do already and like other arenas that are about the same age has done.

4 hours ago, arche_757 said:

Anyone know the end date for the Toyota brand that adorns the roof (and name)?

I’d be happy with an update, but is it NHL caliber?  Was it built with that intention in mind?

Hey great question.

Google says 20 year deal beginning 2003.

That would mean it’s up next year.

Rockets get the money, so I guess good chance it’ll be a Tilman brand?

Golden Nugget Arena? Yikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, arche_757 said:

Anyone know the end date for the Toyota brand that adorns the roof (and name)?

I’d be happy with an update, but is it NHL caliber?  Was it built with that intention in mind?

Yes, it was specifically built to be used for both hockey and basketball. The fact that the NHL hasn't awarded Houston an expansion team is honestly baffling to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Big E said:

Yes, it was specifically built to be used for both hockey and basketball. The fact that the NHL hasn't awarded Houston an expansion team is honestly baffling to me.

The Aeros played in the Toyota Center for almost a decade after they lost the Calder Cup to Chicago in 03 (Compaq Center).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2022 at 2:29 AM, Big E said:

Well, the hockey leagues are probably about as expanded as they need to be for the fanbase that exists.  If it became exciting to a whole new audience then maybe they could add more teams and games without adding empty seats.

hindesky posted this recent Bisnow article from Phoenix in the Toyota Center thread but I'll just put the link here for reference:

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/construction-development/developer-could-call-off-46-acre-tempe-entertainment-district-in-exchange-for-23b-118448

• 5 weeks later...

The Tempe vote for the Arizona Coyotes failed and the league is trying to decide the future of the team. There's speculation that the Coyotes have already played their last game in Arizona.

I have to imagine Janis Burke and the Harris County Sports Authority are scrambling the jets today (since this vote failure was a slight surprise) and trying to finalize their big pitch to the league.

Does anyone have concrete information on if a team not owned by Tilman can play in the Toyota Center? If that's the case, I don't think Houston will win, since we can't get them into the arena before next season. I also don't think the current owner has any interest in selling the team, so they'd have to build a new arena in Houston, if that rumor is true.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Tilman Fertitta is making half hearted attempt to bring an NHL team here but won't happen unless the NHL decides to expand. I think he wants the city of Houston to give him money or tax breaks to make it happen.

35 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Tilman Fertitta is making half hearted attempt to bring an NHL team here but won't happen unless the NHL decides to expand. I think he wants the city of Houston to give him money or tax breaks to make it happen.

Half-hearted?  Why do you allege this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2024 at 8:18 PM, hbg.50 said:

Half-hearted?  Why do you allege this? 

I guess this article implies the same sentiment towards Fertitta.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/general/article/houston-nhl-shut-out-arena-ownership-issues-19401721.php

“Tilman Fertitta being interested in a hockey team, it’s almost passive aggressive, because does he really want a hockey team?” said John Shannon, a veteran Canadian analyst and sports television producer who also worked four seasons in the NHL office. “Maybe he does. He doesn’t want to pay what (commissioner Gary Bettman) wants him to pay, I’m sure, if it came to fruition. But he doesn’t want the competition for an arena, for sure.

“If Ryan Smith in Salt Lake City owned the Rockets, this might be a different discussion because he’s a huge hockey fan and wants a hockey team. … I don’t think there’s a huge advocate in Houston at this point other than Fertitta, who’s trying to probably make the best business move, as opposed to being a passionate hockey fan.”

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.