Which to choose: EZ-TAG, TxTag, NationalPass, something else?

editor

Since Texas now has a brazillion toll roads, which is the best electronic payment system?

I will primarily drive in Harris County, so EZ-TAG seems to make sense.  But I will also drive to San Antonio, Austin, and Louisiana occasionally.  Dallas rarely, but it would be nice to have.

Does EZ-TAG work with the other systems, or should I go for the full TxTag.  I like the idea of NationalPass, but I'm not all that interested in paying a monthly fee.

1 vote for TxTag. Whereas the EzTag costs $15 and requires you to load $40 to start using it and automatically reloads a minimum of $40 when your balance dips below $10, the TxTag is free. You have to load $40 to start using it, but there's no minimum reload amount as long as you enroll in the automatic reload program. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm not sure the TxTag is working for me because when I got home, I had 4 toll violations waiting for me from Oklahoma.  Before going through, I made sure I saw the TxTag logo. Anyone know why this would happen? I know the tag works in TX, but why it doesn't work in OK doesn't make sense and I really don't want to pay $140.00.

2 hours ago, LrgMrg said:

I'm not sure the TxTag is working for me because when I got home, I had 4 toll violations waiting for me from Oklahoma.  Before going through, I made sure I saw the TxTag logo. Anyone know why this would happen? I know the tag works in TX, but why it doesn't work in OK doesn't make sense and I really don't want to pay $140.00.

You're probably better off calling TxTag Customer Service department than posting on an internet forum.  It exists exist to help you: 888-468-9824.

I once sold a car to a dealership in town, and the employees took it on a very fast and very expensive joyride around the toll roads.  When I got the bill, I called and it was taken care of immediately.  The lady on the phone said it happens all the time.  This was with HCTRA.  Hopefully TxTag is similarly equipped.

• Like 1

I went with the TxTag because it was free and didn't require as big a reload amount. This was at a time when HCTRA had stupid policies. If you used a toll road without a tag. In Austin, they sent you an invoice with a 50 cent admin fee. HCTRA sent a Constable with a warrant for your arrest. If you called HCTRA and said you used a toll road without a tag, they would let you pay, but charged you $35 extra. We were on a trip to Austin, and I happened to see the TxTag store, so pulled in and had a tag in a few minutes.

• Like 1