Southern Pacific Hospital/Sunset Hospital/Thomas Street Health Center At 2015 Thomas St.

isuredid

• 2 years later...

Anyone know where the Southern Pacific Hospital mentioned in article was located?

SPhospital.jpg

Edit: Never mind I did a little research and apparently it was also called the Sunset Hospital and is now the Thomas Street Health Center on Thomas St. just North of downtown. It was the first I had heard of a Southern Pacific Hospital in Houston. 

Edited by LunaticFringe

Anyone know where the Southern Pacific Hospital mentioned in article was located?

SPhospital.jpg

Edit: Never mind I did a little research and apparently it was also called the Sunset Hospital and is now the Thomas Street Health Center on Thomas St. just North of downtown. It was the first I had heard of a Southern Pacific Hospital in Houston.

Thomas Street Health Center now.

post-8551-12560681377945_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12560681620219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

For reference, it is that large Italianate red-tile-roofed building that looks almost like it's on a hill, on your right as you're heading north on I-45 or west on I-10 coming from downtown. I've attached both a nice picture of the front of the building, and a picture of what the building looks like as seen from I-45. It is currently owed by Harris Health System, which says:

Harris Health System's Thomas Street Health Center is a freestanding HIV/AIDS clinic, which provides medical care and psychological and social services to those who have been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. Physicians from Baylor College of Medicine and UTHealth provide primary and specialty care services, including: oncology, endocrinology, pain management, dermatology, rheumatology, women's health, adolescent health, ENT, neurology, and treatment and management of hepatitis C. Thomas Street also has on-site case management, pharmacy, physical therapy, psychiatry and counseling services. Thomas Street Health Center offers an extensive HIV health education curriculum and a variety of HIV/AIDS research initiatives. Renowned for its innovative and advanced clinical care, Thomas Street Health Center continues to significantly improve the lives and health of those living with HIV/AIDS.

Anyone know the full history of this building?

Thomas Street Health Center.jpg

www.google.com_maps_@29.775704,-95.367507,3a,30y,57.13h,89.64t_data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJGVN7ujsnOsRyJLPnqyvcw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192.png

• Like 1

All I've found so far is that it was once a former hospital for Southern Pacific Railroad employees.

PS: I tried editing my OP to add that info, but this forum is acting wonky in both Chrome and Edge. Initially when I wrote the OP, Chrome wouldn't let me do anything other than post a poll, and now it won't let me edit. It also initially gave me trouble replying to the thread.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Thomas Street Health Center At 2015 Thomas St.
  • The title was changed to Southern Pacific Hospital/Sunset Hospital/Thomas Street Health Center At 2015 Thomas St.