The Ready Room At 2626 White Oak Dr.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created August 22, 2018. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link to this thread is here.

2626 White Oak Dr in the Heights, a block from Studemont.

OFgo2F2.jpg

From Google Maps

Ro3vklI.jpg

e6M09Ud.jpg

MY0Ysu4.jpg

Last two businesses here were a music dive bar, The Ready Room and a sports bar, Heights Sports and Social Lounge .

This was originally posted April 22, 2018 in the previous thread for 2626 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. Archive link is here.

From the Lack of Restaurant Diversity In the Heights forum on 2626 White Oak Dr:

On 12/14/2016 at 10:00 AM, andre154 said:

Noticed that the spot at 2626 White Oak has filed for a TABC permit. The name on the application is "The Ready Room", under the ownership of 2626 White Oak LLC, which is shown to be owned by Ken Bridge, of Delicious Concepts.

Apparently this spot used to be Roeder's Pub... 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=545284

On 12/14/2016 at 10:26 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The tentatively named "The Ready Room" has had a TABC permit for 2626 White Oak Drive for at least two or three years.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=545286

On 12/19/2016 at 5:55 PM, mollusk said:

Back in my young and skinny days, it was The Ready Room (or perhaps Reddy Room), with Milton Hopkins as the house band on Fridays (or maybe Saturdays, or both) (back then we were not as... shall we say... restrained in our habits, so particulars get a little vague).  Good ol' roots Houston R & B, and his backup singers could really belt it out.  

Since the previous incarnation had a level of cleanliness that rivaled Lola's (the bar on Fairview, not the restaurant on 11th), eating wasn't something you did there.  It'll be interesting to see what turns out this time.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=545583

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted April 22, 2018 in the previous thread for 2626 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. Archive link is here.

More on the rebirth of The Ready Room in Houston at 2626 White Oak Dr.

From Houston Press last year:

The Ready Room,  2626 White Oak

Ritual bartender Chris Morris, who is currently in London competing in the USBG and Bombay Sapphire world finals for the Most Imaginative Bartender competition, tells the Press that his new bar, which is taking over a former gas station in the Heights will have a focus on quality cocktails along with blues and jazz. "The goal is to create a relaxed atmosphere with an elevated level of drink," Morris says. "People can expect a good amount of housemade ingredients, a small curation of local beer, friendly and bar staff, and a menu of 20 to 30 original drinks."  Opening date is still unknown, but planned for sometime this fall.

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/houstons-best-bars-and-breweries-fall-2017-9724479

Remodeling and construction progress inside The Ready Room, 2626 White Oak Dr.

Last year:

etr20mH.jpg

ADXxbwp.jpg

From earlier this year:

OnOnLkp.jpg

This was originally posted May 15, 2018 in the previous thread for 2626 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. Archive link is here.

Progress picture of The Ready Room at 2626 White Oak Dr in Houston.

This was posted last week

x7IEaO3.jpg

• Like 1

This was in the previous thread for 2626 White Oak Dr. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. Archive link is here.

Originally posted by s3mh, June 25, 2018 in the thread for 2626 White Oak.

The Ready Room is Ready.  It will be interesting to see whether they can get the live jazz on Fri/Sat to take off.  The Houston jazz scene has always been pretty dismal.  

From CultureMap

One of the Heights’ most prolific restaurateurs has quietly opened the neighborhood’s newest cocktail bar. Delicious Concepts owner Ken Bridge (Ritual, Lola, Republic Diner + Noodle Bar) has partnered with veteran Houston bartender Peter Clifton on the Ready Room, a new bar located next to Ritual.

Named for a Houston dive bar where Bridge went to see live blues and jazz as a teenager (he met B.B. King there once), the Ready Room has a decidedly retro vibe with a decor that features wood-paneled walls, ceiling tiles that look like pressed tin, and vintage chandeliers.

Clifton and general manager Cody Northcutt collaborated on the cocktail menu, which features different sections named in honor of Houston’s six historic wards. Drink names from each section are taken from a historic person or place associated with that ward.

“We investigated the demographics, culture, and history of all the wards. We figured out it’d be a really cool idea to break the menu up into six wards, depending on what style of drink you got,” Clifton says. “It came with a story of you understanding what Ready Room was. It’s not really about us, but it’s also about the city.”

...True to its namesake, Ready Room will host musical performances on Fridays and Saturdays. A vintage piano sits in one corner, and Bridge says he wants to see jazz and blues performed in the space. The bar will start hosting performers in the next couple of weeks. 

“It was a big part of the concept for the Ready Room for me,” Bridge says. “Some of my favorite clubs and bars throughout the country have soloists or vocalists, some sultty jazz stuff, maybe a two piece with an upright bass. I love that.”

More: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-22-18-ready-room-heights-cocktail-bar-peter-clifton-ken-bridge/

• The title was changed to 2626 White Oak Dr
  • 1 year later...

Goodbye Ritual, Hello Korean Barbecue

DELICIOUS CONCEPTS ON TUESDAY ANNOUNCED that Ritual will end its run at 602 Studewood after Sunday service. But the space won’t be dormant for long—the company will unveil a new concept, Mapojeong Galbijib, in its place around the end of May.

Mapojeong Galbijib is a Korean barbecue concept with table-side grilling service. It aims to feature only Prime proteins with an in-house dry aging program, along with house-made kimchi and banchan.

“We wanted to create a guest experience that blends the best of my travels to Seoul and my time growing up in L.A.’s Koreatown with a modern attitude and approach,” said Bridge in a press release.

Since 2016, Ritual has deftly produced Southern comfort fare inside very trendy environs.

2b1Dfcr.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 2626 White Oak Dr.
  • 1 year later...

Permission, the whiskey-forward cocktail bar at 2920 White Oak Dr, is expanding its portfolio. The cocktail bar's proprietor announced the news on Instagram yesterday.

I'm unsure if Permission is relocating or taking over management of The Ready Room at 2626 White Oak Dr. The language in the post does not make it clear, at least to me. My assumption is Permission stays put. But I think it will take the reins at The Ready Room and keep the name as is. Maybe CultureMap or Houston Chronicle will have further details soon.

co6SJ9Z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Ready Room At 2626 White Oak Dr.