Houston's Own Beyonce - House Of Dereon

citykid09

Houston's own Beyonce - House of Dereon Clothing Line.

Why isn't it based in Houston? Or is it?

I really hate it when house talent take there business else where and forget about there home (One being Kenny Rogers).

dereon_splash02.jpg

^^^^ OOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD ! ! ! ^^^^

First of all, I will have to agree with you TJones on being overrated. And I mean in every way.

Citykid, IMO if the line is based in another city, which more than likely it is, it is due to business reasons. The line would probably have more of a chance of being a success in a place like New York or Los Angles. Also considering Beyonce' no longer lives in Houston (actually none of the members reside here any longer) would make it easier for her to run it from New York.

From what I understand her mother plays a large roll in the line, and I know she still lives here, so I'm sure some of the operations may be based here. But since Houston is not a "fashion" or "entertainment" city, the bulk of it may be in New York.

With regard to local talent taking their business elsewhere, I think they go where the money is. Like I said, Houston is not a Entertainment type city, so people that have strong interest in that go where it is and in many cases that means New York, Los Angeles, Miami or Atlanta. Matthew Knowles is trying to change that a little and the success of the current crop of rappers from Houston have definitely gotten some people's attention, but Houston will never be like New York or L.A., and we are really many years from even being what Atlanta is. So until then, I think you will see local talent that reach a certain level of success bypass Houston.

But some successful Houstonians keep their base in Houston. Matthew Knowles' Music World is based here. Two of the Gospel Worlds biggest names are still based in Houston ( Yolanda Adams and Israel and New Breed), and Scarface, who spent a time in Atlanta, is back permanently in Houston. Plus Frankie J lives here, and don't forget Lyle Lovett. So all hope isn't lost. :)

Beyonce is overrated? I would have thought she was neither over or under, compared to who she is up against these days. I mean she is one of the few that actually refuses to lip sync in performances and has anyone seen her without make up? Still better than average. OK, that's another thread.

As far as the clothing line, she went a little far and is using her success to make a living. I remember when she announced the stuff, she claimed it would be affordable. I guess millionaires forget what is affordable after they have been up there for so long. I actually visited the website, and the stuff is anything but affordable. I will say the clothing line is overrated. :)

Beyonce is overrated? I would have thought she was neither over or under, compared to who she is up against these days. I mean she is one of the few that actually refuses to lip sync in performances and has anyone seen her without make up? Still better than average. OK, that's another thread.

As far as the clothing line, she went a little far and is using her success to make a living. I remember when she announced the stuff, she claimed it would be affordable. I guess millionaires forget what is affordable after they have been up there for so long. I actually visited the website, and the stuff is anything but affordable. I will say the clothing line is overrated. :)

I think she should use what made her famous to sell those clothes, make that money. I am not gonna fault her for that. She is a bonafide mean woman, I won;t use the B-word, she is spoiled rotten, and I don;t think she is that good a singer, sound studio is an amazing thing. I guarantee she has lipped-sank though, it is no big deal, all the best singers that have to dance at the same time do it. So no biggie, but everybody talks her up like they have never seen anyone like her before. There have been many before her, she'll be gone in 5 years or less.

She's already been here for well beyond 5 years. Part of the biggest selling female group in the history of the world. Can dance and sing. Has acted.

40 million+ albums sold doesn't lie. It's hard to overrate that.

Well, I just posted that yesterday, so let's see where she is in 5 years, and if we are still here on this forum, I will type a full apology. :D BTW, I've seen her acting, "Gigli" comes to mind.

This is sort of off topic, but when I read this thread, I was reminded of an article I came across the other day. Here's an excerpt:

So I went digging around and found why Beyonce wasn't at the American Music Awards. Apparently she was here in New York filming a video for the single "Check On It" which will feature Slim Thug and Bun B. Alright for keeping it in Houston.

Full article: http://blogs.sohh.com/soul/archives/2005/1...ing_up_w_u.html

:rolleyes:

Well, it's all about opinion but I stand by my statement about Beyonce' being overrated. IMO, she couldn't even survive American Idol, and Kelly and Michelle definitely couldn't. And record sales really mean nothing to me. IMO Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, and Ashanti all have weak vocal ability, yet they have all sold millions.

With regard to acting, Beyonce is not THAT great of an actress either IMO. I have seen worse but for her to be cast in Austin Powers, and the upcoming Pink Panther? Please, what happened to classically trained actresses being cast in those types of roles. I obviously have not seen the new Pink Panther but I'll bet Bernadette Peters would have been great in it (I know I'm being presumptuous).

And let's face one last thing, Beyonce is a nice looking woman but she isn't one the makes my jaw drop. I have never understood why so many people "die" over her and rave about her beauty ( I feel the same way about Dominique Sasche of channel 2). This may be a little strange for some here to understand but I think Beyonce' has gotten a unfair advantage soley based upon her skin color. Let's be honest about something, Beyonce' would have been successful regardless because she does indeed have some talent, but would she be AS successful if she had the same skin coloring as Kelly Roland? I personally do not think so? I don't think she would have been approached by all of those advertisers if she shared a skin tone with Kelly or say like Rozonda "Chili" Thomas of TLC. It's amazing how light skin and a blonde wig can change people's perceptions. I digress.

I have also heard the clothing line would be reasonable but those prices aren't what I call reasonable. But then again, I find $60.00 for a pair of jeans to be expensive as well ;). Anyway, paying a lot of money for basic things is not my thing anyway, nor is fashion so I suppose should have just kept my mouth shut.

*By the way, I do not hate Beyonce', so before anyone accuse me of being a "hater", it was all just my opinion. I actually enjoy some of their music. I even own the second and third albums. So just because I state my opinion doesn't mean it's truth for everyone else.

One last thing. Beyonce' is jumping on the Houston gravy train NOW because of the success of local rap scene. Was she breaking down the door to use Houston talent before it exploded......no. Bun B has been established forever in Houston, why use him now? So was Slim Thug and Paul Wall. Now all of a sudden, they want to jump on the Houston bandwagon. Why don't she stick to the "boys up top from the BK" that she seem to like so much.

Beyonce and Destiny's Child never talk about Houston like those in Atlanta always prop up Atlanta. Usher, Bow Wow, Monica, Ciarra, TLC, Bobby and Whitney, Jermaine Dupri, Ludacris, etc., all have had tremendous success yet they keep the word 'Atlanta' on their mouths.

Now that the Houston scene is exploding the way it is, I'll bet the ladies will start to jump on the Houston tip once again.

I will admit their may be a little "hateration" on this post but to be honest, I am a little bitter from a few little situations when Destiny's Child was in town for their last and final tour as a group. I'm not going to go into detail but I have a semi-bitter taste in my mouth after their last visit to Houston. This city seems to be a far off place in the distant past for them now (Or at least until they claim Houston once again because the hottest rappers in the nation happen to be from and still reside in Houston).

I will admit their may be a little "hateration" on this post but to be honest, I am a little bitter from a few little situations when Destiny's Child was in town for their last and final tour as a group. I'm not going to go into detail but I have a semi-bitter taste in my mouth after their last visit to Houston. This city seems to be a far off place in the distant past for them now (Or at least until they claim Houston once again because the hottest rappers in the nation happen to be from and still reside in Houston).

Please, when you get the chance, go into detail. I'm very curious now. :)

I like Destiny's Child a lot. In fact, I think Kelly is prettier than Beyonce. In my book, they're all beautiful, and they all can sing a helluva lot better than me, that's for sure!

Classically trained actresses for Austin Powers? Come on! :D

I like Destiny's Child a lot. In fact, I think Kelly is prettier than Beyonce. In my book, they're all beautiful, and they all can sing a helluva lot better than me, that's for sure!

Classically trained actresses for Austin Powers? Come on! :D

Well maybe I shouldn't have said classically trained. But my point is, there are people who have acted all of their lives and go to school for years and pay tons of money to learn to be actors and actresses. Those roles should go to them IMO. That is what I was really trying to say.

With regard to going into details of my semi-bitterness, there is no point in me doing so. What happened was something that I myself took personal, and there is no reason to make it a public issue. But the only thing I will say is since it was their last tour performing as a group, a group that was started and supported by Houston, I expected a little more from them.

*Hint*-Did you guys hear the ladies talk to ANY local radio stations on this monumental last tour? No you didn't. There is a reason for that.

I kind of knew what you were saying but I just wanted to here a litlle more details. ;) Basically, for it to be their last concert in the hometown that has supported them for all these years, it did not feel like it would be any different from a concert in say Cleveland. Pretty much a case of someone forgetting where they come from and shows little pride in their hometown. Would I be correct?

One last thing. Beyonce' is jumping on the Houston gravy train NOW because of the success of local rap scene. Was she breaking down the door to use Houston talent before it exploded......no. Bun B has been established forever in Houston, why use him now? So was Slim Thug and Paul Wall. Now all of a sudden, they want to jump on the Houston bandwagon. Why don't she stick to the "boys up top from the BK" that she seem to like so much.

Beyonce and Destiny's Child never talk about Houston like those in Atlanta always prop up Atlanta. Usher, Bow Wow, Monica, Ciarra, TLC, Bobby and Whitney, Jermaine Dupri, Ludacris, etc., all have had tremendous success yet they keep the word 'Atlanta' on their mouths.

Now that the Houston scene is exploding the way it is, I'll bet the ladies will start to jump on the Houston tip once again.

I am with you 100%. Atlanta's famous residence are proud of there city, so much that it makes me sick when they say the name of there city. Everytime I see a famous person that lives in Atlanta I just wait for them to say there cities name, because I just know its going to happen (I even count how many times they say it). As for Houston's famous its very rare for them to say the name of there city. Also Atlanta's famous do stuff for there city that draws tourist like opening resturants and shops. In Houston many celebrities do that to like T-Boz from TLC opened up her rich kids store (Chase's Closet) in Houston instead of her hometown of Atlanta, and Manie Fresh opened up his "Pimp my ride" business in Houston, But they aren't Houston natives. I want to see Beyonce open a 5 star resturant in Houston and rep for her city. And I want her (and other famous Houstonians) to encourage other famous people and regular people that Houston is the place to be and do business. She should make Jay-Z put a 40/40 club in Houston. Here are a few famous Houstoinas doing a good job repein there city:

Letoya (former Destiny's Child Member) Owns a Boutique in Uptown

Mannie Fresh- I here on allhiphop.com that he just moved to Houston a few months before Katrina happened and oped up Fresh Ridez about a year ago.

Well, I guess that just the way it is.

Jessica Simpson's not exactly a spokeswoman for Dallas either. Come to think of it, you pretty much only hear pride for N.Y., L.A., Atlanta or Miami.

I have noticed that the Houston rappers are now repin there city even more though. The only problem I have is that sometimes they say H-town really softly and it can sometimes sound like A-town. Thats why they need a video that has a big sign that says Houston and on that says H-town.

Oh, and one other thing, I have cousins in the North East and in Califorina, and when some of them came to visit this summer they told me (the ones from California) how much Houston rap is admired and how its the most popular thing there now. I couldn't believe it! Also when I went to NYC this summer there were Mike Jones Billboards and signs everywhere. There was even this young italian dude in a range rover with Mike Jones blasting. Also on the plane ride there I meet a girl who was in Houston visiting from Conneticut and she said she loves Houston and did not want to go back to Conneticut. And there was this young guy from Long Island, NY that had moved to Houston on his own because of all of the good stuff he had heard about it (he was going back to Long Island for a funeral).

Also my uncle in Boston told me that one of his bussiness partners said that Houston booming and that thats where he wanted to move.

100% TRUTH

DC showed no love to any other Houston acts in the past, but oh how times have changed. You can also throw Scarface in the same bunch as DC. When the artists and Houston scene really needed them, they were off in ATL, NY, and where ever else.

100% TRUTH

DC showed no love to any other Houston acts in the past, but oh how times have changed. You can also throw Scarface in the same bunch as DC. When the artists and Houston scene really needed them, they were off in ATL, NY, and where ever else.

Lil flip too.

The difference with Flip is that, he is part of or the start of this new movement of Houston artist going major. Face and DC have been in the business for a while now. Flip reached back and got Botnay, Feat. SUC on all his major albums and so on...

The thing is that, there are always going to be those that represent your city, and then there are those that happen to be from your city.

Houston's own Beyonce - House of Dereon Clothing Line.

Why isn't it based in Houston? Or is it?

I really hate it when house talent take there business else where and forget about there home (One being Kenny Rogers).

I don't know much about Beyonce-she's a very beautiful woman but when I've heard her sing with the other two young women-it just doesn't do it for me.

Her clothing line? I consulted my 2 neices in NYC-they said "what for?".

As for Kenny Rogers-do we really want people to know he was from here?

B)

Oh no. No offense Velvetj, but as an extremely light skinned black person myself, that whole thing get's on my nerves. But anyway, I agree that the acting is not that great, but for the most part the girl is talented and yes it sounds like a personal issue, but we all have our opinions. As far as the joining Houston rappers that are starting to get noticed on a national level, I don't mean to try to defend the person, but just to be open minded, that is with every artist it seems and not just DC3. Is it the fact that the group is at a cerain status and they are not reppin'? What if it was someone like Brooke Valentine who has left Houston in the same fashion as evryone else.

Apparently she was here in New York filming a video for the single "Check On It" which will feature Slim Thug and Bun B. Alright for keeping it in Houston.

Full article: http://blogs.sohh.com/soul/archives/2005/1...ing_up_w_u.html

:rolleyes:

Beyonce, Slim Thug, Bun B. Three artists that worked hard in Houston, and FINALLY made it into the bigtime radio base. So exactly when will the three be able to make a famous VMA-worthy video IN Houston? Yes, it can be done. No, I don't think these three have all the say in their video locations.

Houston talent is obviously definately there. When will the media respect Houston. When will our fashion designers get to host major shows in Houston?

I think hip-hop wise, we got the talents. Our rock bands have been underrated for a while. Electronic music and our clubs need serious help and the scene has gone somewhat downhill since last year. But the talents are already here. What does the city of Houston have to do to support them, and get the worldwide recognition that Houston deserves?

Beyonce, Slim Thug, Bun B. Three artists that worked hard in Houston, and FINALLY made it into the bigtime radio base. So exactly when will the three be able to make a famous VMA-worthy video IN Houston? Yes, it can be done. No, I don't think these three have all the say in their video locations.

Houston talent is obviously definately there. When will the media respect Houston. When will our fashion designers get to host major shows in Houston?

I think hip-hop wise, we got the talents. Our rock bands have been underrated for a while. Electronic music and our clubs need serious help and the scene has gone somewhat downhill since last year. But the talents are already here. What does the city of Houston have to do to support them, and get the worldwide recognition that Houston deserves?

When artists adopt hangouts and local curcuits, then a "scene" is developed. This was true for Seattle and Grunge, Harlem and Swing, Philly and R&B, New Orleans and Jazz, Memphis and Blues, the list goes on. If Houston's "big time" artists were to make a conscious effort to collaborate, play at the same local venues, and be more in the public eye, then will people began to talk about Houston or the "Houston sound". As a byproduct, talent will began to come out of bars, lounges, clubs, etc...

The problem is that none of our artists are too concerned about Houston's image, but rather their own.

Archived