Houston: The New River City?

bkjones98

Thank you for the pictures Houstonian in Iraq. I see that you'are you back from Iraq.

yeah for now.... It's great to be back, been back for about 2 weeks now.

will have to leave Houston soon though :(

While I'm away y'all will help me keep my sanity by posting, so thanks ahead of time ;) .

In the mean time I will be ejoying Houston :D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah for now.... It's great to be back, been back for about 2 weeks now.

will have to leave Houston soon though :(

While I'm away y'all will help me keep my sanity by posting, so thanks ahead of time ;) .

In the mean time I will be ejoying Houston :D

Good to see you're enjoying your time off. Where are you going? Back to Hell on Earth, or just to your base?

Good to see you're enjoying your time off. Where are you going? Back to Hell on Earth, or just to your base?

No, I'm not heading back to the sandbox anytime soon. Although last time I said that "they" were trying to send me back for a second time after being back in the states for a month so hope I haven't spoken too soon. <_<

I will be in Manchester(UK) until July or Aug........dagon nutty Brits ;)

You mean metal sculpters? Like Dallas has had between Deep Ellum and Downtown for a couple of years now? :-P j/k

If I'm not mistaken, one of the primary reasons the San Antonio Riverwalk was built was to control flooding. Could this not be done to BB? I think not offering any type of business along the river is a bad idea. People aren't going to want to walk up and down 500 flights of stairs in the middle of August every time their kids want something to drink or need to pee.

Whatever the solution, I think the SA Riverwalk, using horses and packmules for construction, took less time.

• 2 weeks later...

My office looks down on Allen's Landing from about 600 feet above, and it is absolutely true that the water in both BB and White Oak Bayou reaches an attractive, deep green within a couple days of the end of rain. They turn muddy brown very quickly with an precipitation, though.

I believe the Sunset Coffee building won't be turned into anything useful anytime soon, but I have seen predestrian activity increase in the area greatly with the new UHDT building. I see canoes down there rarely but the fact that I have seen them at all has to mean something.

It is certainly ambitious to build all of this infrastructure around BB underneath the freeway, but the freeway is clearly the issue... gee, really surprising that it is tough to make an area attractive when you put about 20 lanes of concrete over 4-5 assymmetrical bridges with columns randomly penetrating the waterway below... <_< This is all clearly a long-term process and will continue as long as we are alive.

Nice pics, soldier! And a pretty cool little bridge too, I might add. Is it open, or were you just doing a little recon? :P

Just a little recon. Had to dodge the high speed danger sign put there

to keep people out.

P1010220.jpg

I'm sure they're still going to spruce up the bridge and that segment of the bayou.

Here are a few more pictures of the area further down from the bridge right in front of Sabine lofts.

P1010216.jpg

P1010210.jpg

P1010218.jpg

P1010219.jpg

P1010222.jpg

They have even installed some of the lighting described in the buffalo bayou plan.

P1010208.jpg

P1010213.jpg

P1010224.jpg

Just a little recon. Had to dodge the high speed danger sign put there

to keep people out.

P1010220.jpg

Way to put that Ranger training to good use. :P

Man, those are some nice pics. I wish I could get my lawn to look like that. I know you can't really make a freeway overpass disappear, but I wish they would paint them forest green to make them blend in a bit.

I went down there yesterday with my son. We came in from the Eleanor Tinsley side as parking elsewhere was difficult. The stairs leading down to the western end of the walkway, southern side of the bayou (walkways are being built on the other side as well, just not opened yet) drop down to a cool old concrete storm drain, that must date to the 20s or so, with a stepped waterfall effect. Unfortunately, the street litter comes down through there so that will be another reminder of being in the city, along with the roar of the freeway overhead.

I saw a guy flyfishing and a sign read "Alligator habitat, keep all pets leashed" :lol: . There were workers near the bridge so we weren't as bold as HiI. The landscaping was nice and, once completed and extended, will be a great low-key addition to Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a book that showed the original parks plan for all the Houston area bayous. It showed how they were all lined with boulevards like White Oak is with the Jesters, etc...with no development in the flood plains and no concrete channeling. When we were kids, White Oak was natural and it was a great place to be a kid-plenty of wildlfe, trees, vines, fireflys, horned toads, etc...then the concrete came and it was all gone.

Anyway-back to the book. It's ironic but it was in my parent's then-new home in Arbor Oaks-built in a flood plain...guess where the book is now :angry:

If anyone knows of this book, I'd appreciate any info.

B)

[as an aside, Arbor Oaks is between W. Little York and Inwood Forest, off of Antoine. It is an excellent example of how our tax dollars are spent due to the unbridled development of lands located in flood plains. There are abhout 10 homes left due to Allison. FEMA finally bought them out. You and I paid for it.]

Metal sounds nice, maybe some copper bands, but a potential hazard..? Or maybe some concrete stain, variations of green? I suppose TXDOT wouldn't go for climbing vines. Or, it could be said that the gray adds a stark juxtaposition to the scene.

Have the homeless discovered this place yet?...shhhhhhhh

You put copper up and it will be stolen in no time.

I went down there yesterday with my son. We came in from the Eleanor Tinsley side as parking elsewhere was difficult. The stairs leading down to the western end of the walkway, southern side of the bayou (walkways are being built on the other side as well, just not opened yet) drop down to a cool old concrete storm drain, that must date to the 20s or so, with a stepped waterfall effect. Unfortunately, the street litter comes down through there so that will be another reminder of being in the city, along with the roar of the freeway overhead.

I saw a guy flyfishing and a sign read "Alligator habitat, keep all pets leashed" :lol: . There were workers near the bridge so we weren't as bold as HiI. The landscaping was nice and, once completed and extended, will be a great low-key addition to Houston.

Well I always keep my alligator on a leash when down there.

Nope, it's permanent. There's an article about it in today's Chronicle.

Pedestrian bridge to access hike, bike trails

Pathway over Buffalo Bayou to link downtown destinations

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

Construction is under way on a pedestrian bridge that crosses Buffalo Bayou and links the Hobby Center and other downtown locations with new walking and biking trails along the bayou.

The 189-foot bridge, which is expected to be completed by the end of the year, is a key component of the Sabine-to-Bagby Promenade, a project undertaken by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership and the city of Houston that will open up a 23-acre segment of the Bayou Walk to more biking and jogging.

With new walking and biking trails being installed along the bayou downtown, the pedestrian bridge will allow people easier access from downtown to the new trails, and to parking and residential areas near the bayou.

Construction on the bridge, which was designed by SWA Group, began last month.

Link to full article

I like what they are doing to Buffalo Bayou thusfar. I hope they keep up the good work and end up completing the whole 2025 plan. I think although SA river walk will always be the SA river walk, I think that Houston has the chance to create something grand. I really really want them to complete this propossed project. If what the say is correct it will releive some of the flooding problems they have downtown.(I.E yesterdays flash floods) If any one has any updated info on any of the projects they propossed I would like to know.

hmmm.... well i'm glad they put such great attention to asthetics and detail into the bridge. :-\ looks like a train trestle

For those who thought that "that's it", in the article it further mentions:

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

The bridge is supported by two sets of steel columns on each side of the bayou, and will be lit along the handrail and from above, making the entire structure glow in the evening and provide a safer environment for those who walk it at night.

"What's there right now is the basic structural truss, and the handrails that are going to be used are being built now," Shanley said. "So the raw structure is up, but the lighting and some of the other aspects of it won't be done until the end of the year."

.......so let's wait and see :ph34r:

Archived