The New 290/I-10 Ramps?

I'm going to Houston again for an interview. The other interview did not work out, sadly :( but I'm going to be back in town, this time in the East End. I'm going to stay on I-10 east until my exit, where it is isn't important, but I'm curious about the new I-10/US-290 ramps since I've never used 'em. Do I just exit just past 34th to get on the ramp that will eventually split between EB and WB I-10, or is it more complicated than that, and on the way back, is there a similar way or do I have to jump over 4 lanes to be able to exit at 290?

As everyone has said, it's not to bad on the way in. The way out is as bad as ever. The worst part for you will probably be traffic though, particularly if they decide to have lane closures on 290, which has been going on both at 610 and around Beltway 8. You'll probably also have some fun traffic once you get to downtown. Just make sure you're not in the two left lanes as those exit onto 45.

As everyone has said, it's not to bad on the way in. The way out is as bad as ever. The worst part for you will probably be traffic though, particularly if they decide to have lane closures on 290, which has been going on both at 610 and around Beltway 8. You'll probably also have some fun traffic once you get to downtown. Just make sure you're not in the two left lanes as those exit onto 45.

Actually, I originally considered going through 45 to my destination, but decided against it since I would be likely hitting morning rush hour traffic, and the Pierce already has enough cars on it as it is. 

Actually, I originally considered going through 45 to my destination, but decided against it since I would be likely hitting morning rush hour traffic, and the Pierce already has enough cars on it as it is. 

Yes, save yourself the inconvenience. That interchange will be bad enough. Don't make your life more miserable.

If you're looking to avoid 290 construction hassle and have a TxTag (or EZ Tag), just take Grand Parkway from Cypress down to I-10 on into the city. A few more miles, but at least you're moving. Once you're in town try getting off the highways and use surface streets. If you're from out of town you get to actually see a lot more of the city at a (slightly) slower pace. Consider taking Memorial from 610 straight into Downtown--can't beat the views.

I say whenever you're traveling without hard time constraints, get a little lost and see what you find. I still do that around Houston every once in a while for an adventure. You may think you've seen it all, but Houston is big and has many surprises. And it's Houston--how far can you really travel without coming across a major roadway to get you back on track? It's hard to get lost in Houston.

If you're looking to avoid 290 construction hassle and have a TxTag (or EZ Tag), just take Grand Parkway from Cypress down to I-10 on into the city. A few more miles, but at least you're moving. Once you're in town try getting off the highways and use surface streets. If you're from out of town you get to actually see a lot more of the city at a (slightly) slower pace. Consider taking Memorial from 610 straight into Downtown--can't beat the views.

I say whenever you're traveling without hard time constraints, get a little lost and see what you find. I still do that around Houston every once in a while for an adventure. You may think you've seen it all, but Houston is big and has many surprises. And it's Houston--how far can you really travel without coming across a major roadway to get you back on track? It's hard to get lost in Houston.

First comes an appointment in the East End (I'll be taking Lockwood down there) and I do hope to see parts of Washington before high-tailing it back to Interstate 10 and home. Unfortunately, because of that prior appointment, I can't take too long, though I did enjoy taking a Friday off about a month ago and visiting the Heights, where BANG, suddenly in I'm on a street with buildings coming up to the side of the road like someone plopped a small Texas town right into Houston.

TxTag/EZ Tags are out of the question, since I don't have a full-time job (of course, with this interview I plan to change that) that can justify either (like if I'm going to move to Houston or Dallas or somewhere else, or if I'm going to sell my car), nor am I going to do anything where a tollway would be especially conducive to my transportation (gotta say--Bellaire to 290 on the BW8 frontage roads in rush hour--NEVER AGAIN)

I acknowledge being more than a bit ticked at the idea of toll roads being our current way of expanding the highway system, and even greater aggravation that some roads are only accessible to those with the RFID sticker.  (Lexus Lanes, anyone?)  I spend most (but not all) of my life away from places where the toll roads go.  Regardless, it is what it is.  When I take my place at the top of the kleptocracy I promise to fix it.  Until then...

Getting an EZ Tag costs $15, plus loading the account with $40 and a credit card number to eat from when that $40 gets low.  I remember being a student, and I paid my own way through school.  Ramen wasn't invented yet, but I became quite familiar with other equally gross and cheap alternatives.*  Tige, Uncle Mollusk says that unless you're pretty certain that someplace like Patagonia or China or the EU is in your very immediate future, go ahead and bite that particular bullet since the EZ/TX/whatever tag is not only statewide, but also generally (but not universally) active elsewhere (like West Virginia, where much to my surprise the gate just popped open).

* I drove an exceptionally unreliable VW Variant at the time, then a Pinto wagon, followed by a Chevette.  Life does get better.

Archived