New Art Area?

Are these buildings some new "art colony" or something?

According to their website, DiverseWorks is preparing to celebrate its 20th anniversary. So far as I know, they've always been located at the Vine St. location.

From their website:

DiverseWorks is one of the leading contemporary art centers in the United States. Known for its groundbreaking artistic education programs and distinguished by its financial stability, DiverseWorks serves as an open venue for artists, a training ground for future arts administrators and a model for arts centers across the country. DiverseWorks remains notable for its commitment to artists who are exploring inventive and successful earned-income ventures. DiverseWorks serves as a crucible for artistic exploration and audience development. DiverseWorks' activities are supported by an active Board of Directors and Artist Board and an involved corps of members, audience supporters, students and volunteers.

That's what's so great about Houston - just when you think you know the place, another facet reveals itself.

Diverseworks has been at that location for a long long time. They're actually one of the leading arts organizations in the city and responsible for helping put together some major events that draw people from around the country like Photofest.

Diverseworks first location was located in Market Square. There was once a really cool bookstore located on the current property. Unfortunately, it closed several years ago. When I was a student at the University of Houston-Downtown I would walk to the bookstore after my classes had finished.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived