Ride METRO

nativehoustonion

I went to Rudyards last Thursday and the speaker was Christof Spieler.  He is the only board member that rides the bus system.  Next year they are going to revamp the bus routes which seems a very good idea.  So yesterday I thought I would try it.  I got to IAH at 0730 and the METRO 102 arrived at 0811 on time.  I did not know it had stops in Greens St and Imperial Valley.  I have never seen Houston so dirty and trashy.  As they pick up people along the way.  I was the only white person on the bus.  Then the bus went down I-45 and got on the HOV.  Then again Houston look so trashy I-45 between the beltway and 610 is awful!  Gross hotels, tattoo places, broken down cars on the grass between the freeway and the frontage road.  It was so ugly, I wish there is a way to clean all that up.  Then the METRO representative told me to connect downtown on Milam to catch the 81 or 82 Westheimer.  Well after 20 minutes I found out you catch it on Smith street.  I live in the upper Kirby District and I took me longer to get home then my flight on United Airlines.  I don't care what race rides the bus.  I had no idea Greens road and Imperial Valley was so trashy.  Till next year I will just use the light rail! :unsure:     

102 is an ok bus because it's so cheap and if you're not in a hurry. Also it's good for airport employees. However I agree that the transfer in downtown is what's terrible that adds another half hour at least.

I wish the airport express bus would've stuck around but it was losing money to due a ban on advertising because of a lawsuit by super shuttle who said metro was infringing on its territorial rights, which makes no sense. But that's the type of uphill battle metro has to fight here.

Also agreed that 45 and many other freeways here are urban wastelands from a birds eye view. 45 south, 59 north, 290, 59 south, they're all terrible. Strip mall after strip mall and motels, it's ugly. But hey that's Houston's commerce right?

Christof is very nice and smart he said the other rail lines should open early December.  I said the Purple line looks done, but he said the light bulbs on the top keep popping.  It's not METRO fault but the contractors are behind.  He said it is a mess downtown.  METRO is very please with ridership on The north Red line.  More than they projected.  Next year the bus system will be entirely different.  He said give METRO feedback on the new bus system proposal.    

I've never met Christof, but I've appreciated reading his posts online and would enjoy hearing him speak on Metro's progress (or lack thereof) sometime.  

Does he do that sort of thing regularly, how could one be alerted in advance?

No big deal. I was more disheartened than insulted as I honestly wanted to hear your experience of riding the actual bus. You know, efficiency, how courteous was your driver, was the bus clean, was it a comfortable ride, etc.

Could you elaborate on this aspect of your ride for me? I'm honestly interested in hearing your experiences with the new changes that Metro has implemented recently. I've given much consideration to jumping on the 85 to run errands and such, in an attempt to cut down on my gasoline expenses that seem to increase every month. Thanks, and no hard feelings. :-)

• The title was changed to Ride METRO

Archived