Dallas "leisure " Packages

"Uh, oh! Now you've done it! You're in Deep Ellum now, Mister!"

I didnt feel unsafe in deep elum when I was there this past month to be honest with you. I did feel unsafe under the freeway parking areas - there was evidence of car break-ins. But then again that happens here too in any place that has little people walking around and at night. So not much difference in safety I would guess.

But back to the weekend getaways, I guess what I really enjoyed was their smugness in assuming Houston is so void of nightlife and culture that we should be included in their initial marketing strategy, along with Midland for crying out loud

LoMac?

Pardon me while I hurl my foie gras.

Well, I respect the guy who came up with that. I just wish non of us would do any of that, including whatever Houstonian who came up with NoDo (North Downtown), which of course no one ever refers to. I hate that term. L.A. did it also, Seatle did it with SoDo, and so did Austin with SoCo (South Congress). Enough with the copying of NY terms allready, it makes all of us look like, well, copy cats. None of us are New York. Yet New York is not any of us either, and we should trumpet what is real about us. Nothing works as well as organically grown terms that have meaning through history, like The Montrose, or Deep Elum, WestU, The Rice Village. All of those are real and wholesome, and they don't smell of copy cats.

Well, I respect the guy who came up with that.  I just wish non of us would do any of that, including whatever Houstonian who came up with NoDo (North Downtown), which of course no one ever refers to.  I hate that term.  L.A. did it also, Seatle did it with SoDo, and so did Austin with SoCo (South Congress).  Enough with the copying of NY terms allready, it makes all of us look like, well, copy cats.  None of us are New York.  Yet New York is not any of us either, and we should trumpet what is real about us.  Nothing works as well as organically grown terms that have meaning through history, like The Montrose, or Deep Elum, WestU, The Rice Village.  All of those are real and wholesome, and they don't smell of copy cats.

That's a damn fine point, 2112, and I couldn't agree more. Lame NY inspired nicknames are just that...lame. They have no history behind them, and are no better than the faux "town centers" surrounded by parking lots that someone referred to on another post.

How could a SoHo knockoff ever compete with Deep Ellum, which came into existence when the old blues men described Elm Street in their southern soulful dialect? Or, Offats Bayou, named for the poor, uneducated men who would ask the train conductor to drop them "off ats the bayou" in Galveston? Or Lower Westheimer, as opposed to upper Westheimer, home of Uptown (one of the few recently coined terms to stick)? Or any of our wards, 1st through 6th, or West End or Rice Military? The names work because they represent thepast history of the area.

Hipsters, constantly in search of the new "in" thing, try to hip up a place with a new urban name. I can think of nothing less hip than that.

It's hip to be square.

Report: Trying to be hip is losing its appeal

"The whole point of being hip in the pure sense of the word is to essentially be

oblivious to it," says pop culture observer Robert Thompson. "Now the only thing you can describe a hipster as being is a 'hipster' in quotation marks. Almost by definition a hipster is a wannabe." (Los Angeles Times)

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcas...ip20jul20.story

um... yeah... i lived in dallas for a long... long time and served on the Uptown Association board... no one, and i do mean NO ONE calls that area LoMac.

kinda makes me chuckle thinking about those people who live in sherman/denison/durant and call it Far North Dallas..... lmao

Trollygirl needs to get back on the short bus.

"Trollygirl needs to get back on the short bus." :lol:

Chances are, she lives in 'Far North Dallas' and was trying to sound (tragically) 'hip'.

At any rate, these weekend getaway promotions are not unusual. And marketing to Houston is not a slap either, even if the quote was insulting. Houston's CVB markets Houston weekend getaways to Dallas, and has ever since downtown was redone. It is merely an attempt to fill up hotel rooms on slow weekends, and short trips are easier to plan. Galveston markets Houston and Dallas as well.

Archived