Employment Background Checks

LTAWACS

Does anyone here know the extent and depth of employment background checks go? I think it's 7 years. Will misdemeanors show up? I was in an auto accident around 7 years ago and the other guy took off. I assumed he had no papers or insurance so I wobbled my car home. Turns out he reported this to the police and I got slapped with a "Leaving the Scene of an accident" ticket and fine. I think it's class C or B. Im not sure.

Does anyone here know? Thanks.

Depends on the employer. Some do 5, some do 10. I've even applied for a job where it was only 6 months.

If you're applying for a job, don't they have to share with you the criteria? Does that fall under the fair hiring practices laws?

I'm not sure. They said it was for 7 years. The biggest question I'm worried about is:

"Within the past SEVEN (7) years, have you ever been convicted of a crime or are you currently under indictment for any offense other than a minor traffic violation?"

Is getting a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident a conviction? I didnt go to court, I just paid the ticket. It was only for $200 I think. Would that be considered a non-minor traffic violation?

Depending on whether there was damage, it could be a Class C or B. If you paid the fine at Houston Municipal Court or a JP court, it was Class C. If you had to go to the Harris County Couthouse, it was probably A.

If it was municipal court, it may not even be on your record. If it was a Class B, it probably is on your record. You can go to www.publicdata.com to see if you have a criminal record. It costs $25 for a one year subscription, but you can look up all your friends as well. :P

BTW, a criminal record is permanent. It never drops off.

Depending on whether there was damage, it could be a Class C or B.  If you paid the fine at Houston Municipal Court or a JP court, it was Class C.  If you had to go to the Harris County Couthouse, it was probably A.

If it was municipal court, it may not even be on your record.  If it was a Class B, it probably is on your record.  You can go to www.publicdata.com to see if you have a criminal record.  It costs $25 for a one year subscription, but you can look up all your friends as well.  :P

BTW, a criminal record is permanent.  It never drops off.

I just went to the cashiers desk at the court building on Lubbock in downtown and paid there. Never set foot inside an actual courtoom.

So is "Leaving The Scene Of An Accident" a C or B? I'm a nervous wreck. :(

On a side note, I thought "Deferred Adjudication" was sorta hidden from your record?

Isn't there some HAIF rule that prohibits criminals from posting? :lol:

Relax, AWAC. If you paid at Lubbock, then it was a traffic ticket (Class C). At most, this would have gone on your driving record. Traffic convictions fall off of your driving record after 5 years. If you have doubts, you can order a driving record from DPS, but I wouldn't waste my time.

I believe you will be safe by stating you have no criminal convictions. The ticket you got would be Failure To Stop and Give Information where the damage involved is less than $200.

TAKE IT from a guy who's been in more trouble with the law from DUI to drug posession to driving with no insurance. Like someone stated, it really depends on the employer, alot of employers look at 3-5 years but the more stringent ones sometimes look at 7 years.

TAKE IT from  a guy who's been in more trouble with the law from DUI to drug posession to driving with no insurance. Like someone stated, it really depends on the employer, alot of employers look at 3-5 years but the more stringent ones sometimes look at 7 years.

Naw. It's for a big company with its worldwide HQ here in Houston. I'm still sweatin all this. What about "deferred adjudication" cases?

Isn't there some HAIF rule that prohibits criminals from posting?  :lol:

Relax, AWAC.  If you paid at Lubbock, then it was a traffic ticket (Class C).  At most, this would have gone on your driving record.  Traffic convictions fall off of your driving record after 5 years.  If you have doubts, you can order a driving record from DPS, but I wouldn't waste my time.

I believe you will be safe by stating you have no criminal convictions.  The ticket you got would be Failure To Stop and Give Information where the damage involved is less than $200.

Why would they take a pic of me then? I remember they took a pic of me at the police station. I was never arrested I think.

I am guessing the detectives sent you a letter saying you were involved in an accident, and asked you to come to their offices to discuss it. That is where they took your picture. The reason for that would be for identification by witnesses in case you contested the citation.

If you are still freaked out, then go get a copy of your driving record. It is not a big deal to do.

I am guessing the detectives sent you a letter saying you were involved in an accident, and asked you to come to their offices to discuss it.  That is where they took your picture.  The reason for that would be for identification by witnesses in case you contested the citation.

If you are still freaked out, then go get a copy of your driving record.  It is not a big deal to do.

You're right. They came to my house a few days later and wanted me to come to their offices. So is that a B or C? I think by looking at the mess of the other guy's car it was more than $200 in damage. ugh. Do you know? Are you an attorney?

If you paid at Lubbock, it is a C. And yes, I am a criminal defense attorney, so I'm not feeding you a line of sh_t. B)

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can go to the Municipal courthouse on Lubbock and get a copy of your record. You can also go to the Harris County courthouse at 1201 Franklin, 3rd floor, to check on your criminal record. That's what a background check would do.

I hope to God you're not bragging about this - because if you are, I'm prepared to flame you so bad I'll get banned permantly here.

No sir! Not bragging. I don't see the point of bragging to a bunch of people on a forum board where none of us know eachother anyway.

Just using that as somewhat comparitive analysis to show the severity of the crime and how even that can go off the record after time.

But if you wanna flame me, go right ahead. Just don't say something too harsh cuz i might have jump back to my old ways and say something nasty to you that would get me banned from here myself. But lately, I've been trying to change my ways and be a little more civil by the request of several PMs i've received.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone here know the extent and depth of employment background checks go? I think it's 7 years. Will misdemeanors show up? I was in an auto accident around 7 years ago and the other guy took off. I assumed he had no papers or insurance so I wobbled my car home. Turns out he reported this to the police and I got slapped with a "Leaving the Scene of an accident" ticket and fine. I think it's class C or B. Im not sure.

Does anyone here know? Thanks.

From my personal experience, you have to petition the judge of the court for expungement after at least seven years have passed. I did that seven years after I was arrested for public intoxication (a Class C misdeamenor). I was lucky. The judge expunged that from my record.

Archived