Thinking About Participating In Section 8 For My Midtown Rental Property

SteveW

Just curious if anyone here has signed up their property to allow for section 8 renters. I know I've heard bad things but I'm at a point where I want to help the greater good and this makes sense given that there are so many needy people in Midtown. I am also a recipient of a grant for a NGO that I'm involved in and I'm thinking about establishing an outreach location in Midtown where the community can safely engage those of a different socio-economic status for the purpose of mutual enlightenment and shared understanding. I've been looking at several spaces on Crawford, Jackson, Main, Anita, San Jacinto, and Caroline, but am still exploring other options. The reason I'm posting this is because I know Midtowners are an open-minded bunch based on my experiences volunteering with the Midtown Management Association. I want to get others opinions (for or against) and see if we can find a common ground that my Asian brothers refer to as the 3rd way.

May your day bring peace, enlightenment, and Hope.

-Steve

Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. ยง 1437f), often simply known as Section 8, as repeatedly amended, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of approximately 3.1 million low-income households. It operates through several programs, the largest of which, the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large portion of the rents and utilities of about 2.1 million households. The US Department of Housing and Urban Development manages the Section 8 programs.[1]

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides "tenant-based" rental assistance, so an assisted tenant can move with assistance from one unit of at least minimum housing quality to another. It also allows individuals to apply their monthly voucher towards the purchase of a home, with over $17 billion going towards such purchases each year (from ncsha.org analysis). The maximum allowed voucher is $2200 a month.

Section 8 also authorizes a variety of "project-based" rental assistance programs, under which the owner reserves some or all of the units in a building for low-income tenants, in return for a Federal government guarantee to make up the difference between the tenant's contribution and the rent specified in the owner's contract with the government. A tenant who leaves a subsidized project will lose access to the project-based subsidy.

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development and United States Department of Veterans Affairs have a special Section 8 program called VASH (Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing), or HUD-VASH, which gives out a certain number of Section 8 vouchers to eligible homeless and otherwise vulnerable US armed forces veterans.[2]

SteveW, do you just own property in midtown or live in midtown as well? Please explain section 8 for me. I can't see how anyone who owns a townhome or house would view it favorably, but I need to learn more about it.

I was living in my townhouse up until late last year. I had to go back home for some time to take care of some family estate matters and that ended up taking more time than I anticipated. I let a friend live there while her house was being repaired and now am considering my options given a new sense of what matters most.

-Steve

Please do NOT do section 8. The damages would be unbelievable and there is NO recouping them from the housing authority. Section 8 may have been a viable option at one time, but now people can get away with almost totally destroying the property and they are not held responsible for it. Recouping any damage to your property is impossible and unfortunately it greatly lowers the property value of your home and well as the surrounding area when you have Section 8 mixed in. I've been there, done that, and learned an expensive lesson.

As someone who owns rental property in midtown/montrose do yourself a favor and put your good nature to something else trust me.....There are tons of good people who need help with housing in this city and for every one of those good people there are 50 right behind them who take advantage of the housing system and make things like Section 8 get a horrible reputation and those unfortunately are who you will have to deal with....Just educate youself and heed the warnings you read about horror stories....Sure the government will make sure your get the rent checks direct deposited every month, but they turn a blind eye to anything regarding the actual tenants so for the landlord the pain happens at the end. And by pain I mean turnover costs that exceed the net cash flow that you made during the entire term of the Section 8 tenancy...Section 8 is like every other program offered by the government where it's always someone else's issue if you have a problem with a tenant in regards to damage to the property or past due light/water/electric bills of which the section 8 voucher doesn't cover any of these expenses....Basically, while it's admirable good luck and educate yourself before you dive into this!

I can only offer you advice based on my experience....You should go visit some of the rentals that allow Sec 8 to get a feel for what kind of tenants you can expect and go from there that's the best real world advice is to see it for yourself what you may be in for!

Please do NOT do section 8. The damages would be unbelievable and there is NO recouping them from the housing authority. Section 8 may have been a viable option at one time, but now people can get away with almost totally destroying the property and they are not held responsible for it.

You raise a good point as I was not aware that damages were not covered. The whole point is to help people so I may just avoid the Section 8 route and find one or two low-income families that can split the rent. It may be harder as they closed that school by the park near my townhouse.

Does anyone know if the Midtown Management Association has a list of vacant or abandoned buildings that are in the neighborhood? I'm close to a lease deal but want to see if there is one that has better parking. Two of the properties would require that people attending meetings park amongst existing residents and I feel that parking could become an issue. I don't want the added expense of having to purchase a shuttle-bus or cart to ferry individuals to their cars or bus stops during evening hours and inclement weather.

-Steve

Well said, bombshell!

I almost wonder if this thread is a bit of a put-on. Section 8 housing for, what I assume, is a new(er) midtown townhouse? Come on!

Section 8 is for slumlording, you buy some cheap houses and rent them to section 8 tenants and when the house is trashed at the end, it's not going to cost an inordinate amount to get the house back into section 8 compliance and rent it again. As Steve said, a great many people abuse the system. In addition, I really doubt section 8 would even net you any positive cash flow. Without knowing any details of your mortage payment, you must remember that section 8 is for truly LOW income persons. You've got to be pretty poor off to qualify and your property may well be too expensive for section 8 to cover your mortgage payments.

Makes no sense to me that you'd want to ruin a perfectly good townhome with section 8 tenants. Your neighbors would be mighty pissed as well because you'd bring all the section 8 "fun" to their homes as well.

You've got to be pretty poor off to qualify and your property may well be too expensive for section 8 to cover your mortgage payments.

Makes no sense to me that you'd want to ruin a perfectly good townhome with section 8 tenants. Your neighbors would be mighty pissed as well because you'd bring all the section 8 "fun" to their homes as well.

Well for starters there is no mortgage as I own the townhouse outright, so the amount of rent can be extremely low.

I do well, which has the added benefit of exposing me to people with money who are still capable of ruining perfectly good things. I no longer make a judgement about someone based on their economic status. I don't see how disadvantaged people will contribute negatively to a neighborhood simply based on how much money is in their wallet at any given time. In our recent housing crises did next door neighbors suddenly become animals simply becaused they lost a job or their mortgage was underwater? I think not.

Midtown is a vibrant community because of its diversity. That means giving people a chance in my book. Don't think for a moment that I am naive, there are certain backgrounds I will not tolerate. I plan on doing background checks and will weed out those with anything I deem incompatible with my values. (domestic abusers, sex offenders, mental illness, etc) While I struggle to not judge those who are attempting to turn their lives around I currently lack the skill set to engage people in these circumstances without making it personal. I would also not want to live by them, so it would be hard to force others to live by them. In closing thank your for your insight and words. While we may not agree on everything I value them.

-Steve

Steve,

What you're proposing can't be done with your townhome.

1. I'm pretty sure your deed restrictions prevent this and your townhome will be foreclosed on by your HOA if you violate those rules. I live near Baldwin Park too, and my deed restrictions prevent it. I know if a neighbor of mine tried to do what you're proposing, I would ensure the HOA foreclose on them because of the added traffic, parking, noise, trash, etc. and outright violation of the design of the townhomes. In other words, what you're proposing isn't a violation like letting weeds grow, not painting, etc. but you are trying to change the fundamental usage of your block. Your block was designed to handle only so many occupants. If every townhome tried to do what you're proposing... no one would be able to get to their house, fire engines would have a tougher time getting to emergencies, etc.

2. I don't even understand your logic of using an expensive townhouse to house a couple people when you could have a greater impact selling your 200k+ townhouse and purchasing several properties in cheaper areas where you could house even more people. You'd probably even be able to find a multi-family unit that is already setup to support 3 or 4 families (w/ seperate power/water meters, doors to each unit, etc.) and you have in turn made a greater impact with the same amount of resources you have available. You could even live in one of the units and still have plenty of room for others.

3. The city has codes about just stuffing people into residential structures. Your structure has to meet a different set of code requirements depending on occupancy. If you attempted to do this in Midtown, your neighbors would probably contact the MMD and Code Enforcement to shut you down. I know the MMD works hard to prevent slumlords from stuffing people into buildings, and they've been successful at limiting occupancy in larger structures like you are thinking about renting.

Steve,

What you're proposing can't be done with your townhome.

I was not planning to stuff a ton of people in the townhouse, just maybe an extended family. I don't want to violate any HOA or area rules, much less make life hard on my renters.

I'm confused about why the MMD (which I am assuming is the same thing as the Midtown Management Association) would be opposed to or involve themselves in NGO or other charitable organizations missions. They don't appear to be too involved in the existing ones who let their patrons camp out around the facilities all night long. In my opinion the dysfunction outside these facilities is representative of the dysfunction on the inside. That being said I'm not all that concerned about being an issue in the neighborhood. I'll run a good place. Midtown is a diverse place, people just need to interact with others outside of their comfort zones.

Steve

I was not planning to stuff a ton of people in the townhouse, just maybe an extended family. I don't want to violate any HOA or area rules, much less make life hard on my renters.

I'm confused about why the MMD (which I am assuming is the same thing as the Midtown Management Association) would be opposed to or involve themselves in NGO or other charitable organizations missions. They don't appear to be too involved in the existing ones who let their patrons camp out around the facilities all night long. In my opinion the dysfunction outside these facilities is representative of the dysfunction on the inside. That being said I'm not all that concerned about being an issue in the neighborhood. I'll run a good place. Midtown is a diverse place, people just need to interact with others outside of their comfort zones.

Steve

You mentioned having "two families split the rent". I mentioned your HOA because all of them in Midtown have pretty strict rules to protect property values and neighbors and they can come after you if your property becomes problematic.

Again, I (and it sounds like everyone here) do not understand your logic. Even so, the route you are pondering involves a lot of legal hurdles (Section 8 requirements, your HOA, your neighbors, finding good Section 8 renters that won't damage you or your neighbor's property, etc.) I'm not sure why you'd even consider that path. As I mentioned earlier, your best bet is finding a cheap multi-family property (look on HAR.com).

Also, Midtowners already interact with people outside their comfort zones. It's probably one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. We interact with an entire range of people from the homeless, to club goers, drunks, parents, kids, black/white/hispanic/asian, doctors, engineers, college kids, retirees, foreigners, tourists, etc. I'm not sure what other type of person you'd expect Midtown residents to "interact with".

Brian,

Section 8 is out of the equation.

I'm going to sit down with some of assistance agencies in Midtown to see if they have anyone ready to make the next step to a place of their own.

Logic? I think the real question is NIMBY? Compassion does not require logic. I've done well and now I want to share the wealth with those just trying to get by. I have hope for people, and believe that people can change their lives. I believe that when we ask those with plenty to give with those with little. Is that such a bad thing? It's our job to organize those less unfortunate into a group of people can move great mountains. I want them to go from "no we can't, to yes we can!"

Steve

Brian,

Section 8 is out of the equation.

I'm going to sit down with some of assistance agencies in Midtown to see if they have anyone ready to make the next step to a place of their own.

Logic? I think the real question is NIMBY? Compassion does not require logic. I've done well and now I want to share the wealth with those just trying to get by. I have hope for people, and believe that people can change their lives. I believe that when we ask those with plenty to give with those with little. Is that such a bad thing? It's our job to organize those less unfortunate into a group of people can move great mountains. I want them to go from "no we can't, to yes we can!"

Steve

Oh boy here we go...

Which brings up another point, in that HOA's wield WAAAAAAY too much power in Texas...

I disagree. If my townhome neighbor (who I share a wall with) were to start neglecting their property, it would have an immediate impact on my structure (termites, water intrusion, etc.) along with all other homes that touch it. I would hope an HOA would step in to protect the block.

A person couldn't possibly know what every HOA or development in Midtown has banned.

I don't know where SteveW lives (he'll need to check his HOA rules), but I'm part of Baldwin Square and we make up a good chunk of blocks near the park. I was referring to the deed restrictions that apply to the 165 homes that are part of Baldwin Square.

I disagree. If my townhome neighbor (who I share a wall with) were to start neglecting their property, it would have an immediate impact on my structure (termites, water intrusion, etc.) along with all other homes that touch it. I would hope an HOA would step in to protect the block.

You don't need a connecting wall. If the person living there doesn't clean, they end up with mice. Those mice will end up in the adjacent houses.

I disagree. If my townhome neighbor (who I share a wall with) were to start neglecting their property, it would have an immediate impact on my structure (termites, water intrusion, etc.) along with all other homes that touch it.

Rest assure I will insist that all my renters are up to date on their vaccinations. Sheesh, next I'm going to be told that Midtown and nearby HOAs will be flying drones to insure that my suspicious renters are only raising their vermin for food purposes.

Steve

Rest assure I will insist that all my renters are up to date on their vaccinations. Sheesh, next I'm going to be told that Midtown and nearby HOAs will be flying drones to insure that my suspicious renters are only raising their vermin for food purposes.

Steve

Steve, why not let others help themselves. Don't worry about them. I suggest you rent this place of yours at the current market rate. Those who could afford it will rent it. Those how can not won't. Simple.

Steve, why not let others help themselves. Don't worry about them. I suggest you rent this place of yours at the current market rate. Those who could afford it will rent it. Those how can not won't. Simple.

Then put all of the rent you make (less expenses) into star of hope, or some other mission to help people who need a lift. The plus there is you only have to deal with one government agency, and that's only if you decide to deduct the donation.

Then put all of the rent you make (less expenses) into star of hope, or some other mission to help people who need a lift. The plus there is you only have to deal with one government agency, and that's only if you decide to deduct the donation.

Or just join the clergy and become a man of the cloth. Embark on missions to countries where they are less fortunate (and less educated - the better to not use reason) and indoctrinate them. Provide false hopes and pretend to know things that no one else does.

Or I could just rent the house at a discounted rate which would directly benefit someone vs. giving the profit to an organization to be used however they see fit. In a nutshell, my mind is changed on the section 8, but I am moving forward on the low-income lease. I may have a lead on a good family based on a conversation I had last night outside of the Salvation Army Women's Shelter. Really nice family, and their kids go to the Genesis Learning Center right down the street from my place. These are tough times and some people continue to struggle, but you have to maintain hope.

Steve

Remember too that the tenant has more rights than the landlord.

If it becomes necessary to remove them from your property (non payment of rent etc), you will be the one jumping through hoops. While you are following the "rules", they will still be living there, with plenty of opportunities to do harm to your property.

I still have nightmares about a nice family with children that completely destroyed the house we owned in a small central Texas town.

Remember too that the tenant has more rights than the landlord.

If it becomes necessary to remove them from your property (non payment of rent etc), you will be the one jumping through hoops. While you are following the "rules", they will still be living there, with plenty of opportunities to do harm to your property.

Well I do hope to avoid that if possible. If they're struggling then I will try to be as objective as possible. I think that if you show good will and people see that you care about them rather than just their money they will do their best to take care of the place. Part of my rental agreement will be a bi-monthly dinner night where we sit down and break bread with one another. I will supply the food and help out in cooking the meal. I think that in a world where we hear some much negativity about food it would be refreshing to bond over healthy meals. Meals are more than food, they're places for interaction and story-telling. We (I) have lost out on so much because of my previously selfish lifestyle that I am committed to bringing people together over common things that make one feel safe. Who knows, maybe others in the area will want to participate. Giving back is not so bad.

Steve

Or just join the clergy and become a man of the cloth. Embark on missions to countries where they are less fortunate (and less educated - the better to not use reason) and indoctrinate them. Provide false hopes and pretend to know things that no one else does.

Does man of the cloth = frequent poster on HAIF?

Archived