Thinking About Participating In Section 8 For My Midtown Rental Property

SteveW

Or I could just rent the house at a discounted rate which would directly benefit someone vs. giving the profit to an organization to be used however they see fit. In a nutshell, my mind is changed on the section 8, but I am moving forward on the low-income lease. I may have a lead on a good family based on a conversation I had last night outside of the Salvation Army Women's Shelter. Really nice family, and their kids go to the Genesis Learning Center right down the street from my place. These are tough times and some people continue to struggle, but you have to maintain hope.

May your day bring peace, enlightenment, and Hope.

Steve

Best of luck to you in your venture, I applaud your desire to help the less fortunate.

Well for starters there is no mortgage as I own the townhouse outright, so the amount of rent can be extremely low.

I do well, which has the added benefit of exposing me to people with money who are still capable of ruining perfectly good things. I no longer make a judgement about someone based on their economic status. I don't see how disadvantaged people will contribute negatively to a neighborhood simply based on how much money is in their wallet at any given time. In our recent housing crises did next door neighbors suddenly become animals simply becaused they lost a job or their mortgage was underwater? I think not.

Midtown is a vibrant community because of its diversity. That means giving people a chance in my book. Don't think for a moment that I am naive, there are certain backgrounds I will not tolerate. I plan on doing background checks and will weed out those with anything I deem incompatible with my values. (domestic abusers, sex offenders, mental illness, etc) While I struggle to not judge those who are attempting to turn their lives around I currently lack the skill set to engage people in these circumstances without making it personal. I would also not want to live by them, so it would be hard to force others to live by them. In closing thank your for your insight and words. While we may not agree on everything I value them.

-Steve

Good for you on your success and all, but this doesn't seem like the right way to do the most good with what you have. As others have mentioned, a small multi family unit in an appropriate neighborhood commensurate with the income levels of the tenants you seek to help would do more good for them than moving them into a high end neighborhood where they may not be able to afford the local goods and services, etc.

Just my .02, I love in 4th ward and witness, daily, the effects of extending a financial olive branch to folks who can't afford something. In the end, they still can't afford it - neglect, disrepair, and default/eviction soon follow at the expense of them, their families, and the surrounding homes.

Best of luck to you in your endeavour.

Edited by TonyM

Good for you on your success and all, but this doesn't seem like the right way to do the most good with what you have. As others have mentioned, a small multi family unit in an appropriate neighborhood commensurate with the income levels of the tenants you seek to help would do more good for them than moving them into a high end neighborhood where they may not be able to afford the local goods and services, etc.

Just my .02, I love in 4th ward and witness, daily, the effects of extending a financial olive branch to folks who can't afford something. In the end, they still can't afford it - neglect, disrepair, and default/eviction soon follow at the expense of them, their families, and the surrounding homes.

Best of luck to you in your endeavour.

this is indeed true as well, something that is walking distance to the Fiesta down on San Jacinto and Wheeler is going to be a better place than something that is walking distance to Randalls on Louisiana and Hadley (that's Hedley!).

But then, I guess light rail puts each within striking distance to any resident wanting (or needing) to walk in midtown.

Ironically my future renter's sister works part-time at the Midtown Randall's so I assume that she also shops there.

Sorry I have not been able to respond lately, the whole EU currency debacle has kept me busy at work.

Midtown makes the most sense for my ideas as the light rail system is an efficient means of transportation for those without a car. Metro's bus system is incredibly inefficient and causes great stress for those trying to juggle a 2nd job, family, and other commitments. If your able to land a job/s near light rail you have better chance of being there for the important things.

Steve

• The title was changed to Thinking About Participating In Section 8 For My Midtown Rental Property