Sign in to follow this  
sevfiv

Popular Mechanics Home Section - 1956

I was looking for information on architect Ursula Oberdieck (of the 1956 Parade of Homes "Suburban Styline" on Cayton St. - http://www.arch-ive.org/cayton7550.php) and found her in the Popular Mechanics 1956 issue. Her house is on the cover as well as at the top of pages 186/187(interior and exterior pictures):

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

oberdieck_popmechcover1956.jpg

oberdieck_popmech1956.jpg

An H. Oberdieck designed this house in Meyerland on Braeswood.

An H. Oberdieck designed this house in Meyerland on Braeswood.

DSC_0022copy.jpg

Wow. I think I have been in that house. (Many, many years ago). Is it on N Braeswood between Endicott and S, Rice?

Edited by Fringe

I just saw that thread - I bet they were related (married?). I can't find a thing on either one of them..

It's always a delight to hear a woman architect's name during this time period. Nice design!

Ursula Oberdieck seems to have died in California in 1975 at the age of 51.  She disappears from county records around 1969 but is very active in real estate sales and construction before that.  I suspect that she went out on her own in the 1960s as a design-builder.  During the 1950s she was a staff designer for Suburban Homes.  She also collaborated with Ray Chutsz.  I found a mention of a Rodolfo Oberdieck, possibly father or brother, who bought a house from her in Shepherd Park Plaza.  She appears never to have married.  She had her architectural training in Berlin and then lived in Guatemala.