Sorry For The Inconvenience.

editor

Some of you may have noticed that some time after noon on Friday, May 20th the forum went down. I discovered it about 7pm, and had it running again by 8pm.

As many of you know, I'm not a computer guy, but I know enough to get by. Hopefully I've fixed the error. It doesn't appear to have been a malicious attack -- just a corruption in the database.

Hopefully it's fixed. If anyone notices any problems, I can roll back the forum to the last good backup which is just a few days old.

Just speculation - I heard that bootleg copies of the new Star Wars film are already circulating on the internet. One newscast said that it's a 40 hour download even with broadband, and that servers are being strained to the limit.

I'm not much of a computer person either, so I have to ask out of ignorance: What causes those types of "corruptions"?

I wish I knew for sure. From what I've read, it can be caused by power fluctuations and temporary glitches in the server's RAM. Stuff like that. Fortunately, the glitch was in a non-essential part of the database.

Just speculation - I heard that bootleg copies of the new Star Wars film are already circulating on the internet. One newscast said that it's a 40 hour download even with broadband, and that servers are being strained to the limit.

There better not be anyone piping copies of Star Wars through my server. I pay a crapload of money each month to rent and run it, and I even upgraded to a new server just last month to handle all the extra people (which cost even more). I'll be really unhappy if one of the neighbors is causing trouble.

I wish I knew for sure.  From what I've read, it can be caused by power fluctuations and temporary glitches in the server's RAM.  Stuff like that.  Fortunately, the glitch was in a non-essential part of the database.

Do you regularly backup the database so that if essential part is indeed affected then it can be restored? Also, how many database servers do you have? If you could afford multiple, at least 2, then you could cluster them with fail over support so that if one is down at least the other one is up.

Editor,

You shouldn't be a apologetic about the system being down, we should be grateful that it exists. :)

Considering the bandwidth you use, I guess my idea for podcasts for the system should go on the wayside, then.

So, nevermind. :unsure:

Perhaps daily backups are in order? We don't want to lose the DB again?!?!

I back it up once or twice a week. I should do it more. I tried to put together a daily automated backup system, but it didn't work. I really need to learn more about computers.

Do you regularly backup the database so that if essential part is indeed affected then it can be restored? Also, how many database servers do you have? If you could afford multiple, at least 2, then you could cluster them with fail over support so that if one is down at least the other one is up.

I back up the database once or twice a week when I remember. I tried to set up an automated system, but it didn't work.

Words like "cluster" and "failover" are waaay beyond my capabilities.

Editor,

You shouldn't be a apologetic about the system being down, we should be grateful that it exists. :)

Considering the bandwidth you use, I guess my idea for podcasts for the system should go on the wayside, then.

So, nevermind.  :unsure:

I'll try anything once. Who wants to do a Houston Architecture Podcast?

I'm not much of a computer person either, so I have to ask out of ignorance: What causes those types of "corruptions"?

Thanks for asking. Typically one finds shenanigan infiltrations as a result of vacillations from the flux capacitor, resulting from klingon aberrations around the orbit of Uranus.

A podcast is a broadcast saved as an MP3 for download.

It's been sweeping the 'net as of late, and alot of the radio shows (Glenn Beck and a few others) are now putting their entire broadcasts in that format.

Alot of amatuers are doing the same thing on a variety of subjects (for more information www.podcast.net and subjects)

Maybe you should listen to a variety of podcasts, and if you're interested, just give me a buzz and I'll elaborate on what I think would be fairly cool.

Or do it the HAIF way: Bring it up here, discuss and debate it until we get a consensus.

Ricco

Well, the proper equipment that is needed is a microphone and a computer..and then a way to save it as an MP3 file.

It's been done with a Treo.

The only reservation that is involved is that the files can be insanely large and I think it would be good if multiple people get involved to cover a particular aspect that interests us individually.

Ricco

Well, I can handle hosting, promotion, and distribution.

What we need are people to develop content.

Someone to host the program.

And someone to be the ring-leader. This person could also be the host.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived