George W. Bush Presidential Center design unveiled

editor

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2009/11/bush-presidential-center-design-unveiled.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+chicagotribune%2Ftheskyline+%28ChicagoTribune+-+Cityscapes%29

The building, designed by New York City architect Robert A.M. Stern, will have three main parts--an archive, a museum and a policy institute. The 225,000-square-foot structure will be built on a 23-acre site on the university's main campus.

Have any of you seen the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library? It's certainly more eye-catching than any other I've seen.

To go visit, go northwest on 290, exit at 6, and then exit at 2818/Emerald Parkway. It will be on your right.happy.gif

* ADVERTISEMENT *

AND while you're there, see the Wal-Mart under renovation AND the new overpass they're building!

All on FM 2818!

* ADVERTISEMENT *

Have any of you seen the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library? It's certainly more eye-catching than any other I've seen.

Hmm...I'd suggest that this library...

5.19.jpg

...is far more eye-catching than this one...

117886-004-2887620A.jpg

I think father and son both subscribe to the "blandly tasteful" school of thought.

I like it.. Was there for the grand opening. Back in the day in one exhibit, they had a looping video of outtakes and bloopers of H.W. and Barbara doing astros commercials.. they can be quite the witty and funny old couple.

To go visit, go northwest on 290, exit at 6, and then exit at 2818/Emerald Parkway. It will be on your right.happy.gif

We know how to get to College Station. And we know how to use google maps. Were your kindergarten level directions really necessary?

* ADVERTISEMENT *

AND while you're there, see the Wal-Mart under renovation AND the new overpass they're building!

All on FM 2818!

* ADVERTISEMENT *

Stop being a goober. We don't care about out own super walmarts and overpasses.. so stop getting your hopes up that we'll care about ones 100 miles away.

I think father and son both subscribe to the "blandly tasteful" school of thought.

To be fair Red, Clinton is the first to really try any sort of modern building. Clinton is the exception. The Bush's libraries are not more boring or bland... or "presidential" then all the other presidential libraries and museums.

You're being disingenuous and overtly biased by just comparing the Bushs' to the Clinton's.

EDIT..

I forgot about JFK's ... That's 2 out of 19 Presidential Museums and libraries that went the contemporary route over the "blandly tasteful" route.

To be fair Red, Clinton is the first to really try any sort of modern building. Clinton is the exception. The Bush's libraries are not more boring or bland... or "presidential" then all the other presidential libraries and museums.

You're being disingenuous and overtly biased by just comparing the Bushs' to the Clinton's.

EDIT..

I forgot about JFK's ... That's 2 out of 19 Presidential Museums and libraries that went the contemporary route over the "blandly tasteful" route.

I can't wait till Obama's library is built. It'll probably be in outer space!

You know, if the US manages to last for another 20,000 years or so, and if we don't increase the number of institutions of higher education from our current levels, then future presidents will have to either double up the libraries on college campuses or start installing their libraries on community college campuses. I wonder how long it'll take HCC to get a library...

EDIT..

I am being neither disingenuous, nor overtly biased. I responded to the glaring omission by IronTiger by pointing out a pretty striking example of eye-catching presidential libraries. I also responded to Subdude's "blandly tasteful" post. There is no bias in commenting on the only two libraries mentioned in the thread.

Frankly, the disingenuousness and overt bias is contained in your insinuation that I pointed out a Democrat's library as eye-catching. FWIW, I like Daddy Bush and graduated from A&M. I take no pleasure from the fact that the library sits on my alma mater's campus is bland.

I am disappointed with the ignorance of the obvious in the design of this project. The building should be a giant, horizontal W.

W-1.jpg

Top ten reasons the GWB Presidential Library should have been shaped like a giant W.

10) He is known as “W”, duhhh!...................................................bew

9) Odd crop formations are common in the Park Cities area. (It’s way under-reported).

8) It demonstrates the course he set as President.

7) The tremendous exterior surface, with expanses of glass, could allow visitors greater views of the outside to distract themselves from the interior contents (or lack thereof).

6) The tremendous exterior surface, with expanses of glass, could allow certain parties on the outside to observe visitors, without a warrant.

5) It’s Dallas. It should be absurd.

4) Eight years, all about the “W”. (Not about the Constitution or anything silly like that).

3) It would generate the same energy his Presidency did. …Piss off people.

2) It would demonstrate a simpler theme. (Certain alumni of the campus on which this is to be placed strive for simpler themes.)

1) And the number one reason the GWB Library should have been constructed in the shape of a W...

Because idolatry - physical and conceptual - is far more important than thinking about things in a constructive, responsible manner.

I like it.. Was there for the grand opening. Back in the day in one exhibit, they had a looping video of outtakes and bloopers of H.W. and Barbara doing astros commercials.. they can be quite the witty and funny old couple.

We know how to get to College Station. And we know how to use google maps. Were your kindergarten level directions really necessary?

Stop being a goober. We don't care about out own super walmarts and overpasses.. so stop getting your hopes up that we'll care about ones 100 miles away.

You're right. I was being a bit too silly there.

Note to self: Don't post on HAIF after consuming substantial amounts of Sunny D.

Archived