East End District Gets Stimulus Funds

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/09/21/daily58.html?ed=2009-09-28&ana=e_du_pub

From the Houston Business Journal:

The Greater East End Management District’s livable centers plan has earned the district $5 million in federal stimulus funds from the Transportation and Policy Council of the Houston-Galveston Area. The plan focuses on pedestrian streetscape and urban design improvements to enhance transit user and pedestrian access to bus and light rail.

The district says it expects to issue its first construction contract by the end of the year

I wonder where the improvements will be made. Maybe they can get those train tracks out of the area. Or maybe even spruce up Harrisburg plaza a little more. Or you know what? Demolish that little check cashing place at the intersection of Wayside, Macario Garcia, and Polk. Put a nice arch, statue, obelisk, a column, or some kind of icon there. Something that would stand out and let visitors know they are now in da Greater East End.

I wonder where the improvements will be made. Maybe they can get those train tracks out of the area. Or maybe even spruce up Harrisburg plaza a little more. Or you know what? Demolish that little check cashing place at the intersection of Wayside, Macario Garcia, and Polk. Put a nice arch, statue, obelisk, a column, or some kind of icon there. Something that would stand out and let visitors know they are now in da Greater East End.

Zombie Ayn Rand will return from the dead to burn down such a classical cliche.

....and the sports bar.

wow, that's great news, probably won't see or hear anything of this down near telephone, but still great news for the area!

not sure how far they can string out $5mil though, they should start by going through and putting in new sidewalks everywhere there are broken or missing areas. I doubt there would be anything left at the end of the day, or they wouldn't be able to finish!

From the announcement, it seems like they're likely to target sidewalk improvements within an immediate proximity to Harrisburg, but beyond that, it's anybody's guess. I'm pretty sure it won't involve tearing down Juanita 2000 or the check cashing place across the street. Probably just sidewalks, trees, festive paint schemes, trash cannisters, benches, and stuff like that.

But it makes me wonder what METRO and the City already have planned in terms of capital improvements to the pedestrian realm. I know that they're both going to do something, but the extent of what is planned is unclear.

Does anybody have any resources to that effect?

• 5 weeks later...

There is talk of the 75 st. light rail from Harrisburg tran.center to gulfgateTran. center to Hobby Air port

RACEHORSE East end to the end

There is talk of the 75 st. light rail from Harrisburg tran.center to gulfgateTran. center to Hobby Air port

With a $5 million grant? That would get you about 582 feet.

some kind of icon there. Something that would stand out and let visitors know they are now in da Greater East End.

chupacabra.jpg

i think it may be gone with my multiple complaints and pics to councilmember showing long lines of traffic at woodridge. oh wait he works for METRO contractor.

If you happen to know where I can find one, I might like to invest in the Columbia Street Chupacabra. He'd look good in my new gameroom.

As much as I love a good Chupacabra, I think an open bar for all your friends would look a whole lot better in your new gameroom.

:)

Just saying.

Go Phillies!

• The title was changed to East End District Gets Stimulus Funds

Archived