Good Restaurants In The Woodlands

KatieDidIt

"Moscow 2 is located at 202 Sawdust Road, suite 115, behind H-E-B, in the same shopping center as 19th Hole Bar and Grill."

The 19th Hole. Oh, the stories I could tell from my days in that dive! Nice to see some culture come to the shopping center. :lol:

Note to non-Woodlanders. A night at "The Hole" will change your thinking about whether the Woodlands is full of rich, uppity snobs. :lol:

hey red, i used to frequent the hole to play pool with my buddies (late 90's). hated the place, but it was the closest thing to a pub around. i was the guy who always knew the trivia questions over "the arts". ohhh, the looks i used to get. ;)

hey red, i used to frequent the hole to play pool with my buddies (late 90's). hated the place, but it was the closest thing to a pub around. i was the guy who always knew the trivia questions over "the arts". ohhh, the looks i used to get. ;)

Too funny. I was there in the mid to late 90s, too. I'm the one who represented the bartenders when they got busted for serving underage patrons (as well as the BTs at Rookies and Fridays). I drank free for months after that. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Is The Tin Star a chain? It kinda' feels like it, but I really like the creativity of the menu.

If you're willing to drive to Conroe, Vernon's is excellent (BBQ, hamburgers, atmosphere)

I tried PHO Be (sp?) on Sawdust. It was quite good, but pretty expensive.

CJ's on Sawdust is pretty good too. Nothing fancy, but good menu.

An excellent choice is Spartilo at the resort. My wife and I go there all the time. Not crowded, don't need to be a guest or member. Wonderful menu. Nice brick oven for pizza. View of Lake Hamilton and golf course. Service is average, but servers are very nice. Atmosphere is fantastic. Try the steak sandwich or Chicken sandwich with sauteed peppers and cheese. My mouth is watering.

Chuy's on I45 is a chain in that there are 4 in Austin and some in Dallas, but it has managed to shed a lot of the problems "chain stores" get.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

i tried palotta's black walnut cafe in the research forest tonight. wow. great decor. cozy, rich dark wood everywhere, great menu, bar, italian ice cream, five seating areas (that i noticed) and fresh tasty food. i will definitely be returning. if it is a chain it certainly doesn't feel like a chain. great place to linger with friends...........and, not one screaming kid, mostly adults or older kids. i will definitely be back. :D

we have another new vietnamese restaurant in the woodlands. it is called "lucky cafe" at 27120 glen loch drive. they have a larger menu than pho be on sawdust. the food was delicious. we ordered vietnamese egg rolls, bo luc lac and noodles with shrimp. for desert, we had thai bubble tea with half and half. yum! this is the only place i've found in the woodlands that has bubble tea. the most expensive item on the menu is $7.

the vietnamese egg rolls; however, do not compare with van loc or mai's in midtown.

As to the Woodlands being totally white and or white-bred...This is most diverse street I have ever lived on. People from different nationalities, color and backgrounds. Tanglewood was totally white, old Houston and all went to High School and UT together. I think there were two Houses off the Boulevard that were a South American Family, but that was IT! So, there are pockets of Houston that are certainly whiter than The Woodlands will ever be.

I don't think it was meant by the poster that it was a "white-bred" area by racial means, but rather it's cookie cutter appearance and food and other chains in the area.

Having recently making a trek into Kuyekendahl (sp?) and Woodland hills (more like a safari!) I was astounded how far back from 45 that road extends.

As far as pinedas' statement how it's a shame that chains should be excluded, I think the contrary. Mom and pops are what the chains USED to be! I usually try hit small businesses to meet my needs for various goods and services. Why not give a small business the opportunity to play with the big boys?

There is also a good BAR-BQ resturaunt off of highway 105 in Montgomery. Great hamburgers, and I believe they also serve breakfast all day if I am not mistaken. I don't know the name of it but it is off of HWY 149 and 105. It is out of the way but if you go out that way to the lake then it is worth it. Good prices too. :D

Yes that's Vernon's that I referred to. A half mile further down that road is Vernon's seafood (read catfish) which is supposed to be excellent.

Is it a shame that we have to stretch to Conroe in order to fulfill your request for good non-chain restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
I love Taipei (is that a chain?) and Hickory Hollow BBQ in Magnolia......yum!! Plus Goodson's cafe is not that far if you take the back roads. Best chicken fried steak I've ever had!!!!! :D

I think nmainguy is LTAWACS in disguise :lol:

Depending on what you consider a "chain" Taipei could be

They started in San Antonio, then moved to the Woodlands and opened a second Houston-area store on 1960.

It's a place I always take people, since it is generally quiet and I don't think I have ever had to wait for a seat.

Also, people have mentioned The Black Walnut, which is anohter I would always recommend. The owner's son Dominic plays roller hockey with my little brother, but I don't think that is why they have always been friendly. Their Italian grill across the freeway from the mall is also quite excellent.

welcome to the forum ab4dd0n.

btw, earlier in the thread it was mentioned that rancho grande in magnolia was great. my sister, father and mother all enjoyed food poisoning from there last week. the managers were not helpful and offered no apologies or concern. my family had not eaten anywhere else that day and other people at the same table who did not get sick did not eat the salsa. the three people who ate the salsa got sick.

Thank you, this place seems interesting.

While I was in the mood, I did find that Tin Star is a chain from Dallas.

And since I am making another post on here, I do have a question about Tommy Bahama's

I have yet to go there, and part of the reason is I can't find a menu or other information. There is nothing on the website, which is a bit of a downer, but I won't hold it against the restaurant staff for that one. I was just wondering about the price, types of offerings, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Restaurant picks & pans for the Woodlands area:

Like: Tin Star (innovative, fresh and inexpensive)

Dislike: Tommy Bahama's (over-priced for Sysco quality food)

Like: Black Walnut Cafe (a bit over-priced on the desserts though, you've been warned)

Dislike: Chuy's (bland food, same with Adobe Cafe)

Like: Ace Chinese in Panther Creek (good food, great service, cheap prices)

Dislike: Berryhill's (fish tacos only decent menu item)

Like: Jasper's (best part is the bar atmosphere & decor, though)

Dislike: Brio (bug zappers don't belong in dining rooms, sorry)

Like: Kirby's (place & food impresses even the fussiest guest)

Dislike: Grotto (another concept ruined by "Landry-fication")

Like: Cheesecake Factory & P.F. Chang's (diverse menu, great atmosphere)

Dislike: Rockfish (menu too limited, concept feels dated already)

Like: The Egg & I (great new breakfast place you should try)

Dislike: Guadalajara's (over-priced and poor service here)

Looking forward to checking out Shogun on F.M. 2920 & Kuykendahl! :)

pineda, come on! ;)

rockfish is all about the "retro" feel. it reminds me of "twin peaks". the blackened shrimp caeser salad is amazing. i haven't had one thing on the menu that i didn't like. oh, and the ice cold schooner of shiner bock............best around.

and grotto, yes it is owned by landry's now. however, i have had first rate service and food at this location. the manager visited our table more than once and it reminded me of the good ole days at a tony vallone establishment.

tommy bahama's "sysco quality"? since when does sysco have goat cheese with sun dried tomatos or plantains w/black bean salsa? i've never had bland or boring food at tommy bahama's.

i'll stop with chuy's. bland? no. fresh and healthier than your average tex-mex? yes. if you haven't tried them, try the chicken enchiladas in the blue corn tortillas. choose a savory sauce rather than the tomatillo. although the tomatillo is delicious, you may be more used to a gravy type topping. oh, and the chicken tortilla soup? uber delicious. lots of cilantro.........and fresh. do not order anything on the menu that is similar to another mexican or tex-mex restaurant. chuy's specialties are not your typical fajitas or combination platter. B)

oh, and ace chinese? how is this place still in existence? horrible, horrible service and food. will not return under any circumstances. even the egg rolls were bad. talk about sysco quality? i'll take sysco over ace chinese any day. ok, so i wasn't through. ;)

ditto your take on tin star, jaspers and black walnut. black walnut is AMAZING. we are lucky to have them in our neck of the woods.

Restaurant picks & pans for the Woodlands area:

Ok here are mine:

Ricos- Fair quality food, excellent service and always a open spot on busy nights.

Perry's- excellent food and service, atmophere is none existant.

Cheescake Factory- HUGE protions of average food. Horrible service and long waits.

La Tavola- In Tomball though. INCREDIBLE food and service. Horrible atmophere, I mean really bad.

Rockfish- um, no

PF Changs- Its ok, impossible to get into and is nothing like the Highland Village location.

Sakekawa- Surburban Sushi

Nit Noi- Just as good as his others. Good atmophere and food, we go often.

Rancheros- Loved it until I bit into a huge chunk of glass in the Quso Del Mar.

Sweet Bella- Family Italian. Best Pizza up here? Maybe. Just a horrible location, and not close enough for us to go for a quick dinner. ( Ammending this: The service setup is just awful and the past two times we have gone the pizza oven wasn't working. Fresh ground cheese, not kraft out of a shaker that you have to go get yourself, would be nice. ) They need to visit Collina's or another Mom and Pop Italian to work out the bugs. They could stuff more table in there if they didn't have the Skeeter's/Chipolte setup.

Flemings- Excellent steaks, fair service, nothing special about the atmopshere.

Amerigos- My favorite resturant up here. Inventive, excellent food. Incredible service. Neat little building ala inside the loop. Just wish the area it was in wasn't so junkie.

Jaspers- Fabulous atmophere and drinks. Very average food for the price.

Brio- Food poisoning says it all. NO and never.

Tommy Bahamas- Good atmophere, unoriginal menu and I found it flavorless.

Grotto- I didn't even like the ones in Houston, so we never tried up here.

Black Walnut- Gorgeous little joint. Great Food. Really bizarre "order and service" setup for the price. Obnoxiously priced for the concept. Went once, probably won't visit again.

Pallota's- Only thing on I-45 worth mentioning. Great food and service. Horrible location.

What's missing?

A really great Family Italian restuarant farther down into the Woodlands, ala Palazzo's or Collina's. One that will deliver top notch pizzas.

A Great/Fresh Seafood specialized resturant.

A Goode and Company BBQ!

What they don't need here?

Another Mexican Resturant. I have never seen so many Mexican Food places in my life.

Anyone tried Harris County Barbeque in Tomball? It was PACKED Sunday when we drove by. Its on 2920 just west of 249.

Sorry to dis your restaurants, Bach, but I just don't care for Tommy Bahama's AT ALL, or Chuy's (feels and looks and tastes OLD) and Rockfish (I really don't think it'll even be there in another year.)

Forget to mention Nit Noi, I do like that place!

Katie-

Rumor has it that Goode Co. has been scouting locations in the Woodlands for over a year now! :)

tommy bahama's "sysco quality"? since when does sysco have goat cheese with sun dried tomatos or plantains w/black bean salsa? i've never had bland or boring food at tommy bahama's.

Like...forever. Sysco sells EVERYTHING, including goat cheese and tomatos, dried or otherwise.

i'll stop with chuy's. bland? no. fresh and healthier than your average tex-mex? yes.

Healthy? :lol: Stop, dude. You're killing me! :lol:

More picks & pans:

Like: Sitar (good, cheap Indian fare)

Dislike: Sam's Boat (I only get bad oysters once, then I NEVER go back)

Like: Louie's Raw Bar (I've never gotten bad seafood from this place, not once)

Dislike: Johnny Rockets (even the workers don't look happy here, even when dancing)

Like: Pizza Tonight (calzones to die for)

Dislike: Extreme Pizza (great concept, just not executed very well)

Like: Mi Luna (tapas & sangria in a darkly lit adult atmosphere, me likey)

Dislike: Nick & Willy's (interesting concept, but kinda overpriced for take & bake)

Like: Brooklyn Cafe (toasted onion bagel with mayo, tomato, onion & rare roast beef - nuff said)

Dislike: Tortugas (turn the lights out, the party's over)

Like: Potbelly Sandwiches (great concept, well-executed)

Dislike: any sushi bars since "60 Minutes" ruined that forever for me....

• 2 weeks later...

Churascos is great. It will be a fine addition to the Woodlands collection of good restaurants. I wish it would have replaced Landry's though. I can't stand that restaurant. It should not be the first thing you see from the freeway welcoming you to the Woodlands. They definitely need more independent restaurants, but what you end up with is fine dining of the chain variety, which I guess is common in places like the Galleria area and Woodlands.

independent fine dining establishments may start showing up on the periphery of town center or back, near sterling ridge or terramont. the indian springs complex will have three nice restaurants that will be the first of their kind.

churrasco's is hardly a chain on the scale of landry's, so there may be more attention to detail.

• 1 month later...

Market Street:

Jaspers - Great atmosphere and service (music is great as well). Awesome soups and very creative menu. Some of the food isn't as good as others.

Dishes you must try:

Shiner Bock Cheddar Soup

Black Bean Soup

Maytag Blue Cheese Chips

Prime Rib

Ham & Gouda Grilled Cheese

Uni Sushi: Casual elegance and great food with decent service.

Dishes you must try:

Don Roll (baked on asiago cheese & cavier)

7 1/2 Roll

Shaggy Dog Roll

And you absolutely must try their lychee martini and green apple martini (my favorite).

Cru: I really like this place even though I'm not a wine drinker. The waitresses are cute too!

Dishes to try:

Cheese flights

Pizzas

Steamed Mussles

Desert wines (Iniskillin (sp) for example).

Sterling Ridge Area:

Perry's: As mentioned before, non-existent atmosphere. THe food is great, but I find myself wanting to leave halfway through my meal.

Dishes to try:

Pork Chop (awesome)

Escargot (awesome)

Chateau Brion (sp)

All their deserts.

Mi Luna: Pretty dern good Tapas bar.

Best burger in the woodlands though is at the Palmer Club. Medium Rare, cheddar cheese, and a tall cold Palmer iced tea (heavy on the lemonade) and you have the makings for an amazing meal.

• The title was changed to Good Restaurants In The Woodlands

Archived