Bad rep blues

IronTiger

We only upgraded to the new forum software a few days ago, and I've already got -14 in my "reputation". Often times, this means nothing in some forums (as in this one) and the world to others, but I'm curious as to why I have -14....

...can anyone clue me in?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We only upgraded to the new forum software a few days ago, and I've already got -14 in my "reputation". Often times, this means nothing in some forums (as in this one) and the world to others, but I'm curious as to why I have -14....

...can anyone clue me in?

Pointless topics? I kid, I have no idea. I have never rated anyone.

Well, there was another site with a "thumbs up/thumbs down" system:

DO downvote someone:

If the post breaks rules

If the post is generally not well thought-out

If the post is overly mean or inconsiderate

DON’T downvote someone:

If you have a personal grudge against the person who made the post

If you think it would be amusing to do so

In controversial topics (politics and religion, etc): if a person makes a post that is a reasonable post with nothing wrong with it, but it expresses views that you don’t like, don’t downvote it. That’s just petty.

Sounds fair.

The irony is that your last post has a -2 rating.

I don't currently have any reputation. I must not write anything interesting enough to be rated.

None of your posts give us the option of rating you. I thought you did that on purpose.

Me on the other hand, I suprisingly have a good rating so far. I don't know how it's so good because I've only seen one or two posts that have rated me.

The irony is that your last post has a -2 rating.

I don't currently have any reputation. I must not write anything interesting enough to be rated.

I think that some person thought it WOULD be amusing to mark me down to -2. Out of curiousity, is this only for HAIF members or is it anyone? I feel this is more the actions of "no-post HAIFers" or anonymous trolls than "real" HAIFers.

I think that some person thought it WOULD be amusing to mark me down to -2. Out of curiousity, is this only for HAIF members or is it anyone? I feel this is more the actions of "no-post HAIFers" or anonymous trolls than "real" HAIFers.

There must have been one or two posts that people just piled up on you. You know which ones they are?

Also, once you give someone a + or - , it will not let you do it again. So no one individual gave you a -2; they can't. It was two separate people. sad.gif

I'm guessing that the "bad" scores were from before the forum switchover. OK, so two non-posting HAIFers or two trolls did it.

I don't believe so because this is a brand new feature. The old forum didn't have it.

I've noticed that on this topic, on the Harvey Mitchell/Wellborn overpass, someone has taken time to give a minus one on every single post since May 2nd. I'm sure it's the same person. Is there a way to find out who these people are?

egwwww, looks like someone was out for you.

Why do you care who it is? I hate these reputation/rating systems....They sound good in principal, but all it ends up being is a popularity contest.

puma created a thread about it somewhere saying that it could replace all the two-word "me too" type posts people submit.

puma created a thread about it somewhere saying that it could replace all the two-word "me too" type posts people submit.

Yup, it got rejected pretty quickly by the majority of the members.

I was referencing if we could mimic some on the forum functionality that was on Amazon. They have a "Was this post helpful?" button, it would eventually hide the post if it was not.

OK, how's this: as a whole, does anyone really, really, like the rating system now?

Looks like you should have said "if you dislike the rating system give me a negative rating".    :)

Are these total ratings for the poster or are they for each individual comment? 

None of your posts give us the option of rating you. I thought you did that on purpose.

Nope. It wasn't on purpose. I'll see if there's a way to change that. I assume if I'm being protected the mods are, too. I'll see if I can change it.

Only registered members can rate posts.

I'm guessing that the "bad" scores were from before the forum switchover. OK, so two non-posting HAIFers or two trolls did it.

There was no function to rate individual posts before the software upgrade.

I've noticed that on this topic, on the Harvey Mitchell/Wellborn overpass, someone has taken time to give a minus one on every single post since May 2nd. I'm sure it's the same person. Is there a way to find out who these people are?

Not that I know of. If someone rates every post down, then it really doesn't matter much at all since everyone gets the ding.

Does a bad rep mean anything, though? I know on some blogs, it will keep your replies in posts from being seen, or the text is so grayed out as to effectively disappear.

Doesn't mean anything to me. At this point, you could have -1000 and it wouldn't affect your ability to use HAIF. I haven't seen any settings in the new software that would allow me to punish someone for having unpopular thoughts.

Why do you care who it is? I hate these reputation/rating systems....They sound good in principal, but all it ends up being is a popularity contest.

We had the ability to rate individual users in the last version of the software, but I don't think many people used it.

OK, how's this: as a whole, does anyone really, really, like the rating system now?

I think it's way too soon to judge. Maybe in six months or a year.

I'm curious as to how low the system goes. I'll likely get bad posts wherever I go. As long as I'm not too obnoxious, I can watch my reputation plummet. I can then take pride that I am the HAIFer with the LOWEST score!

I'm guessing your first two posts in this thread got negative marks because you're whining.

I haven't rated you in this thread or elsewhere... because i don't want you to whine more... but i certainly want to give you a -1 for your first post.

It's all meaningless. Stop taking it so serious. And for future reference, know that if you say something that the majority isn't gonna like.. expect negative points. If you say something that the majority agrees with, expect positive points, maybe. Knowing this... if you get negative points for something, then complain about, expect even more people to give you negative points.

IF you insist on taking it serious, then take it for what it is... a measurement of what other Haifers generally think of your posts. You can either accept this, continue on your way, and not give a damn as your rating goes lower.. or you can try to improve the quality of your posts and reputation to build up your score.

I'm curious as to how low the system goes. I'll likely get bad posts wherever I go. As long as I'm not too obnoxious, I can watch my reputation plummet. I can then take pride that I am the HAIFer with the LOWEST score!

I have no idea. The people who wrote this software have thus far provided ZERO documentation, which is part of the reason it's been so frustrating for everyone involved.

I'm guessing your first two posts in this thread got negative marks because you're whining.

I haven't rated you in this thread or elsewhere... because i don't want you to whine more... but i certainly want to give you a -1 for your first post.

It's all meaningless. Stop taking it so serious. And for future reference, know that if you say something that the majority isn't gonna like.. expect negative points. If you say something that the majority agrees with, expect positive points, maybe. Knowing this... if you get negative points for something, then complain about, expect even more people to give you negative points.

IF you insist on taking it serious, then take it for what it is... a measurement of what other Haifers generally think of your posts. You can either accept this, continue on your way, and not give a damn as your rating goes lower.. or you can try to improve the quality of your posts and reputation to build up your score.

One of the reasons I hope people learn not to care too much about the post rating system is that I don't want people to worry about only posting popular thoughts.

I know people like me and Niche and Jeebus and Mark F. Barnes and many others don't current, and probably never will, care what other people think about what we write. But younger and newer members are likely to be more sensitive in this area.

If someone disagrees with you, don't worry about it.

One of the reasons I hope people learn not to care too much about the post rating system is that I don't want people to worry about only posting popular thoughts.

I know people like me and Niche and Jeebus and Mark F. Barnes and many others don't current, and probably never will, care what other people think about what we write. But younger and newer members are likely to be more sensitive in this area.

If someone disagrees with you, don't worry about it.

Well said.

If anything, i gotten into the habit of just rating on something that is along the lines of what I'm thinking and well stated.

I'm prepared to agree with someone's thoughts, but disagree how they state it, so I will rate appropriately and speak my mind.

Oddly enough, every post of mine NOT in the College Station forum is at least a negative one...maybe it's a sign to keep out of Houston stuff. But I won't let it bother me (though maybe it is)

Posted Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 8:58P

IronTiger, on Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 @ 2:35pm, said:

Should I add that the most of you are acting like jerks right now, or is that just left to be assumed? huh.gifIronTiger, on Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 @ 5:38pm, said:

It's certainly not exclusive to the HAIF, so I shouldn't single you out of the rest of the jerks out there. Yawn. dry.gif

Think before you type! sleep.gif

Think before you type! sleep.gif

Entirely out of context: note that was nearly two months ago, before the forum updates. Also, they WERE acting like jerks...or at least that how it SEEMED (but you'd have to do some convincing)

Entirely out of context: note that was nearly two months ago, before the forum updates. Also, they WERE acting like jerks...or at least that how it SEEMED (but you'd have to do some convincing)

The majority of the folks on here are not jerks!

OK, so it's NOT OK to call Rush Limbaugh a fat tub of goo, but it IS OK for you to call us all a bunch of jerks when you disagree with our opinions. Have I got that right? Just want to make sure I follow the 'Iron Tiger Inraweb Rules of Etiquette' correctly.

Archived