Cy-Fair ISD Wants To Drop Your 20% Homestead Exemption

GettaClue

In the Superintendent's "state of the district" address on June 04, 2009, he has stated his intention to have the 20% homestead exemption eliminated, which would immediately result in an increase in taxes of approximately $248/yr. per $100,0000 home value.

In the address, Superintendent David Anthony said, "On June 15, I am going to recommend the removal of the optional homestead exemption, and it is my expectation that the board will take action on the item."

It is also the only item on the agenda of the CFISD Board of Trustees special-called meeting on June 09, 2009, at 6 p.m.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In your opinion, is this the right course of action? Or should CFISD cut other non-essentials first? i.e.: the 100% Bus Rider policy (every child in the district gets a seat on a bus, no matter how close they live to the school); cut extra-curricular and sports programs; etc. Or perhaps, should a year-round calendar once again be implemented? (They're being used by more and more burgeoning districts around the country and with good success.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't they just complete that boondoggle facility, or am I thinking of another district?

The Berry Center and Cy-Fair ISD's impressive facilities don't have much to do with the crisis that's prompting CFISD officials to put the optional Homestead exemption discount on the table. It has to do with State formula funding being messed up and Cy-Fair not getting its fair share.

I think as taxpayers we ought to hold each and every one of our elected officials and the CFISD Board of Trustees accountable for not getting it done. It is ridiculous that school districts like Spring ISD should receive so much more $$$ per pupil than CFISD. CFISD isn't getting it's fair share back from the state.

Since there doesn't seem much benefit (legislatively) for being a super large district like Cy-Fair, we should also explore breaking the district up into 2-3 smaller districts.

Hold them all accountable.

The Berry Center and Cy-Fair ISD's impressive facilities don't have much to do with the crisis that's prompting CFISD officials to put the optional Homestead exemption discount on the table. It has to do with State formula funding being messed up and Cy-Fair not getting its fair share.

I think as taxpayers we ought to hold each and every one of our elected officials and the CFISD Board of Trustees accountable for not getting it done. It is ridiculous that school districts like Spring ISD should receive so much more $$$ per pupil than CFISD. CFISD isn't getting it's fair share back from the state.

Since there doesn't seem much benefit (legislatively) for being a super large district like Cy-Fair, we should also explore breaking the district up into 2-3 smaller districts.

Interesting concept. It is not our fault for spending too much money on our stadiums and schools. It is the STATE's fault for not helping us pay for it. Seems to me that if a school district builds far in excess of its needs, a non-resident of the district should not have to pay for it. This appears to be working out exactly the way it should...Cy-Fair residents paying for their excesses.

Interesting concept. It is not our fault for spending too much money on our stadiums and schools. It is the STATE's fault for not helping us pay for it. Seems to me that if a school district builds far in excess of its needs, a non-resident of the district should not have to pay for it. This appears to be working out exactly the way it should...Cy-Fair residents paying for their excesses.

Typically, large projects like stadiums, school buildings, etc. are paid for through bond programs, which are voted on and approved separate and apart from the annual budget. Debt service and upkeep are still issues, but the actual construction isn't at fault here.

Also, when the superintendent, Dr. Anthony, testified at a legislative hearing about the funding situation, the first question legislators asked is if CFISD had a homestead exemption. When he answered "yes," they basically cut him off there. So in essence, they have to eliminate the homestead exemption before even starting a conversation about better funding models.

Cy-Fair residents should be furious that other school districts are receiving so much more than they are in funding per student. Nearby Tomball receives $1300 more per student in State funding. Why is that?

With over 100,000 students in CFISD and equivalent funding (per student) to Tomball, would mean an additional $130,000,000.

Despite the funding shortage, CFISD has remained a respected school district. Seems like the state has been getting a bargain with Cy-Fair at CFISD taxpayer expense. Why aren't they getting their fair share back from the State?

Cy-Fair residents should be furious that other school districts are receiving so much more than they are in funding per student. Nearby Tomball receives $1300 more per student in State funding. Why is that?

the way the law was developed it didn't account for growth so funding is frozen from ~2005 levels.

I suggested this to their growth planning department 4 years ago and they looked at me like I had three heads. When they finally caught their collective breath, I got a sales pitch about "economies of scale." I in turn pointed out them that their "economies of scale" are now running head-long into "the law of diminishing returns."

Jaws dropped. After they finally stopped sputtering, I was told that while they had heard of districts consolidating to grow larger, they never heard of a district splitting to become smaller. They were adamant that the whole concept wouldn't fly, but couldn't come up with any reasons why that was so.

Instead, they went on and on about their plan for continued growth, as if anything else was simply unfathomable.

The only folks tougher than bureaucrats to get to thinking outside the box have to be educrats!

I hope that everyone will do the same! The last thing any of us need right now is a 30% tax increase!

I'm personally pushing for them to eliminate the 100% Bus Rider policy and to re-implement year-round school before they try to foist any increases onto us.

I'm personally pushing for them to eliminate the 100% Bus Rider policy and to re-implement year-round school before they try to foist any increases onto us.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would year-round school help the problem?

Forgive my ignorance, but how would year-round school help the problem?

Because facilities are used year-round, it allows current resources to be fully utilized, so notably fewer new schools need to be built and maintained.

There is also much evidence that year-round education with several short breaks, rather than one long one each year, greatly benefits the learning process. For as much as we spend on the learning process, we should be doing year-round schools and most especially before more money is demanded from us.

Maybe you can post those email addresses here. The more emails they get the better.

Emails are a great beginning!! But just as they are so easily written and sent, they are also easily ignored like so much annoying spam. This issue is one which is going to actually require us to get off our duffs and out from behind our computers if we're to truly create change.

If this isn't the issue to motivate us all do that, then I'm sure that anything ever will be.

Because facilities are used year-round, it allows current resources to be fully utilized, so notably fewer new schools need to be built and maintained.

There is also much evidence that year-round education with several short breaks, rather than one long one each year, greatly benefits the learning process. For as much as we spend on the learning process, we should be doing year-round schools and most especially before more money is demanded from us.

I get your second point, but you lost me on the first? Year-round school would have no bearing on the number of kids going needed classroom space. It isn't like some kids go this week, and others go that week. You would still need to build new schools to meet growing attendance.

No matter how this turns out, people are going to take major bullets. If the district cuts instead of eliminating the exemption, the district will essentially fall apart and things will not improve.

If the exemption is eliminated, that first year will be hard for many homeowners and the district may still scramble for a few years to get back on its feet.

Truth is that no other district in the area has that exemption. There are a couple of things that could happen to lessen the blow.

(1) While it may not fix things in the immediate future, reducing the exemption over the next few years may at least dull the impact a tiny bit. Instead of chopping the 20% at once, do it over 3 years.

(2) Many homes are being appraised at different values at this time due to the economy. If there was a way to ensure that the appraisal value of homes either decreases or at least freezes, it will also lessen the impact of the homestead being eliminated. However, this entails buy-in from the appraisal districts.

Regardless of how things end up, people will be heavily and negatively affected. As a result, some people in "power" will take major hits in the next year. It was a storm that was coming but the state will not budge due to the district exemption, something that was probably unnecessary to begin with.

I stand corrected. I should have done the research about the number of districts with the exemption first. That makes it all the more harsh that Cy-Fair isn't getting due $$$ from the state.

It almost sounds like the state has something personal against Cy-Fair.

I stand corrected. I should have done the research about the number of districts with the exemption first. That makes it all the more harsh that Cy-Fair isn't getting due $$$ from the state.

It almost sounds like the state has something personal against Cy-Fair.

Yeah, that's it. It's a conspiracy by a conservative GOP run state legislature against a conservative GOP heavy school district. I'd run with that one. It's got legs.

If you really want to find the source of your problems (since you refuse to blame the school board's Taj Mahal building practices), look at your state senator Dan Patrick, who was quoted thusly...

Patrick, whose district includes Cy-Fair, said he is optimistic the school system, Gov. Rick Perry and Texas Education Commissioner Robert Scott can work out a funding fix so Cy-Fair ISD can keep the optional homestead exemption.

Forwarding...

Please FORWARD to your CY-FAIR email lists - all Homeowners, Business Owners and Voters MUST voice to VETO this bill.

We are in direct communication with Senator Dan Patrick

I get your second point, but you lost me on the first? Year-round school would have no bearing on the number of kids going needed classroom space. It isn't like some kids go this week, and others go that week. You would still need to build new schools to meet growing attendance.

Done properly, year-round tracks are set up so that a certain percentage of the school is off-track/on vacation at any given time. This frees up not only classroom space, but also space in the lunchrooms and media centers, offices, gymnasiums, parking lots, etc.

Example: Students attend class for nine weeks, then have three weeks off. While four groups of students are in class, a fifth group is always on break. This can increase a school's capacity by 33-percent, without overcrowding.

Archived