KTRK Ch.13 proves itself to truly be Houstons News Leader

Ratings have just come out for the first of the new year.

# 1 in the mornings with Tom Koch, Sharron Melton, Meteorologist Casey Curry and Don Nelson.

# 1 at 4 with Ilona Carson and Erik Barajas, beating KHOU Oprah.

#1 Live At Five with Melanie Lawson and Art Rascon.

#1 at 6 & 10 with Dave Ward and Gina Gaston.

But for many who keep up with the local news ratings scene in Houston this may come as a major shock. 13 Eyewitness News was #1 at 11a.m. for the first time since 2005. Channel 13's 1 hour 11a.m. newscast normally ranks #2 behind KHOU's 30-minute noon newscast. Well this sweeps it came in at #1 beating KHOU 11 News at Noon with Ron Trevino.

Channel 2 came in at # 3 all across the board, but are showing gains on channel 11.

Channel 11 has recently had to lay-off two on-air talents morning traffic guy Darby Douglas who had worked there since 96'

and Sports Anchor Giff Nielsen who had been employed by 11 News since 84'

KPRC laid-off 4pm & 6pm news anchor Wendy Corona and replaced her with Rachell MCcniel.

# 1 in the mornings with Tom Koch, Sharron Melton, Meteorologist Casey Curry and Don Nelson.

But for many who keep up with the local news ratings scene in Houston this may come as a major shock. 13 Eyewitness News was #1 at 11a.m. for the first time since 2005. Channel 13's 1 hour 11a.m. newscast normally ranks #2 behind KHOU's 30-minute noon newscast. Well this sweeps it came in at #1 beating KHOU 11 News at Noon with Ron Trevino.

Channel 2 came in at # 3 all across the board, but are showing gains on channel 11.

Channel 11 has recently had to lay-off two on-air talents morning traffic guy Darby Douglas who had worked there since 96'

and Sports Anchor Giff Nielsen who had been employed by 11 News since 84'

KPRC laid-off 4pm & 6pm news anchor Wendy Corona and replaced her with Rachell MCcniel.

Does it count that the Bryan/College Station Metro area gets abc13 news (in addition to its on abc) adding an additional/potential 230,000 plus viewers over the other channels?

Does it count that the Bryan/College Station Metro area gets abc13 news (in addition to its on abc) adding an additional/potential 230,000 plus viewers over the other channels?

While im not 100% sure i would really think so, its 230,000 viewers. I know that in college station they have their own little stations i believe its (NBC,CBS). So it surely shows ch13's dominance in Southeast Texas.

I love ABC 13 and wouldn't watch anything else. I plan to actually intern there in 2 years, but is it me, or does anyone else think they need to place a permenant co-anchor along side Melanie Lawson during the 11am newscast?

Guess I'm showing my age but 2 with Stone, Johnson and Franklin/Roberts was the best followed by 13 with the same crew they have today except for Brandon, 11 was the worst of the three to my thinking. How long have they had the remote studio cameras with no human cameramen?

While im not 100% sure i would really think so, its 230,000 viewers. I know that in college station they have their own little stations i believe its (NBC,CBS). So it surely shows ch13's dominance in Southeast Texas.

We have all of our own channels in Bryan/College Station

abc40 KRHD (news out of Bryan and Waco)

cbs 3 KBTX (news out of Bryan)

nbc 23 (Bryan channel, Waco news)

fox 28 (Bryan channel, news out of Tyler for Waco area) This channel is also My Network at night

CW Texas (Bryan channel, no news)

And there is an infomercial channel where abc13 KTRK comes on when the news comes on and when abc13 and abc40 have different shows on. It stays on nearly the whole day on Sundays.

I love ABC 13 and wouldn't watch anything else. I plan to actually intern there in 2 years, but is it me, or does anyone else think they need to place a permenant co-anchor along side Melanie Lawson during the 11am newscast?

Yes i certainly do i'm so tired of seeing Sharron one day, Art the next and Ilona the day after...

I think Melanie and Ilona make a good team together on that newscast... the chemistry of them 2 flow really well.

Ilona Carson has been pulling in alot of work and she's starting to become one of my favorite anchors in Houston t.v.

i just really hope that she gets thats position.

However i dont think that Art should be sitting at the anchor desk, he does much better when he's on the field doing those special reports, his chemistry just dosent flow well with anyone he anchors with... your always left with awkward moments. But i guess if its not broken dont fix it. Live at Five is # 1 so i guess theres really no need for change.

B)

I like Ch. 13 also, but Gina Gaston has to go!

no way! she's the only woman I've seen on tv lately who doesn't make me want to turn the channel. She's not distracting. Perfectly bland, inoffensive and well modulated. I actually listen to what she's reading, as opposed to the woman on channel 2, where all I can think is what tiny animal died inside her upper lip to make it bloat up like that.

no way! she's the only woman I've seen on tv lately who doesn't make me want to turn the channel. She's not distracting. Perfectly bland, inoffensive and well modulated. I actually listen to what she's reading, as opposed to the woman on channel 2, where all I can think is what tiny animal died inside her upper lip to make it bloat up like that.

i must disagree. while i do like her for "lighter" newscasts, her facial expressions are very distracting. then when she wears her latex dress or her pilgrim outfit, it makes me wonder what mario elie has had to put up with.

Many claims. Many rankings. But without the demographic breakdowns, they're meaningless.

No. KTRK and the other stations are only allowed to use viewers in the market they are licensed to serve. The out-of-market viewers are counted, but they aren't used in the official ratings reports.

And if they did, then the whole "#1 at 4pm...blah blah blah" would be meaningless because it wouldn't have a level playing field due to variations in out-of-market cable carriage of the different stations.

When I do watch the news, I've become a fan of 13 lately. Growing up I could never really tell a difference. But Channel 2 is too fake, 11 is more on par with 13 for keeping it real except for Lucy (who really turned me off during Ike). 13 are just a normal group of folks and I especially like Melanie Lawson.

Perfectly bland, inoffensive and well modulated.

...Just what I look for in a woman. Just kidding, Mrs. P. ;)

We are fans of Ch. 13, too. We like the rhythm of their newscasts. They cover stories thoroughly, but efficiently. Overall, their reporters are really professional. The other stations have some good reporters, too. However, they have some weak spots in their news teams. I hate that feeling that you're not getting the whole story because there's a sense that the person delivering it doesn't have their brain fully connected, and improvises in stupid cliches.

The one-hour newscast at 6 is also attractive. It's not like I need the full-hour of news, but when we're cooking dinner, tending to the cats, or HAIFing, it's nice to have the broadcast streaming a bit longer. If I'm taking cat clumps out to the trash at 6:20, and miss the weather, Tim Heller comes back to visit at 6:45.

Also, Mrs. P.'s got a thing for Ted Oberg. I'm okay with it.

Also, Mrs. P.'s got a thing for Ted Oberg. I'm okay with it.

I like Tim Heller's back up guy. He looks about 18 so I guess that's creepy, huh? I haven't seen enough of him for my gaydar to kick in, though. Is it possible that 13 has a fully hetero prime-time weather staff?

I hate the way the stations brag-brag-barg about their ratings in their intros. Who cares? I'm not going to watch a station for that reason.

I've never really liked 13. When I moved here many years ago, I thought Dave W. looked like Captain Kangaroo. We'd always get a laugh when Marvin and Elma Barrera signed off. Is Eric Barajas the son of Mike Barajas? Mike is now on Fox, but used to be on one of the other stations. If Eric were to become a full time anchor, I'd tune in every day! ;)

Channel 2 used to be my favorite, but I can't say that anymore since they went all ET. Channel 11 is fine too. I guess I just don't have a favorite station these days.

Is Eric Barajas the son of Mike Barajas? Mike is now on Fox, but used to be on one of the other stations. If Eric were to become a full time anchor, I'd tune in every day! ;)

he's the nephew of mike barajas and yes, he is a full time anchor at 4 with ilona carson. they are the new ken and barbie of houston tv news.

...Just what I look for in a woman. Just kidding, Mrs. P. ;)

We are fans of Ch. 13, too. Also, Mrs. P.'s got a thing for Ted Oberg. I'm okay with it.

Mrs Ted Oberg might have something to say about that. Remember Krista Marino? Former medical reporter for KPRC?

She and Ted have been married for about ten years. They met when they worked at competing stations in the Norfolk Virginia market.

They got married after they both moved to competing stations here in Houston. After several years of reporting medical and other news at KPRC, Krista put TV aside to be a stay-at-home mom. They're now the proud parents of a daughter.

I'm one who thinks this young lady has has her priorities straight. She'll never regret this decision.

Ch 11/13 in my book seem to tend to the "older " crowd...I can't watch ch2 "Watch at 5 what happened to this cat!" and the 4p news just stated...Why would anyone watch all 3 news casts!? I used to watch Fox but everything is too "myfoxhoust....." and they act like the chat is the news.

Archived