KTRK Ch.13 proves itself to truly be Houstons News Leader

I never liked 13's style, but there's no disputing the fact that it has the most resources in the market (both people and toys). If you're not sure where to go to find out what's going on, 13's a safe bet, followed by 11, followed by a hobo on the railroad tracks.

(A couple of years ago I would have put in a plug for 39 being #3 most reliable, but that era has passed.)

• 1 month later...

Chalk up another vote for ABC13... when I first moved here, I was a big fan of Fox26 in the morning, but then I discovered how "balanced" the news is on channel 13. The morning show delivers the serious news with class, and always manages to throw in some humor as well. Casey Curry is my favorite meterologist in town!!!! But even beyond Casey, the channel 13 weather team is just awesome. Second favorite is David Tillman... he's very honest with his weather forecasts.

I do however wish we could switch up some of the anchor slots though. I agree, Art Rascon is a fabulous reporter, but not suited for the anchor chair. Ted Oberg just perplexes me. He just doesn't look like a news reporter at all... he does a great job though, and I always watch his stories and specials. Eric Barajas is not only the hottest male anchor in town, his reporting is always very fair and balanced (sorry to steal FoxNews' slogan). If I had a suggestion for a very dynamic evening news team, I'd go with Ilona Carsona and Eric Barajas. I like Gina Gaston, but her clothes are weird.

I wish channel 13 could steal Owen Conflenti from Local 2... I'd love to see Owen and Sharron Melton paired up for the morning, and I think Tom Koch would work well for the midday newscasts (he always seems a little dry for the morning).

Anyways, congrats to abc13!!

One last thing...

Channel 13 really stretched themselves to the limit during the Hurricane Ike coverage. They broadcast the news continuously for at least a week after the storm. I watched the news coverage on my laptop from Dallas, and they really pulled together as a team then.

i must disagree. while i do like her for "lighter" newscasts, her facial expressions are very distracting. then when she wears her latex dress or her pilgrim outfit, it makes me wonder what mario elie has had to put up with.

I seriously thought you were describing Lucy Noland.

I hated Lucy Noland but she did a great job during the hurricane and I only had transistor radio, so I got past the poses.

One last thing...

Channel 13 really stretched themselves to the limit during the Hurricane Ike coverage. They broadcast the news continuously for at least a week after the storm. I watched the news coverage on my laptop from Dallas, and they really pulled together as a team then.

Every news outlet in town was on wall-to-wall for a week or more. 13 was not the only ones. I'm not a fan of 13 at all. For me it's Channel 2, Fox, 11 and 13 in that order.

Every news outlet in town was on wall-to-wall for a week or more. 13 was not the only ones. I'm not a fan of 13 at all. For me it's Channel 2, Fox, 11 and 13 in that order.

For those of us with NO POWER during that time, Channel 11 was the only one broadcasting on both tv and radio. They were the only voice for those of us in the thick of the after cane misery.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that... neither was I aware of Channel 11's radio broadcast.

Archived