"Watch" me flip another house!

Fliiper, what method does the painter use to paint the cabinets? Since they are job-built, it seems like it will be tough to get a clean finish since the worksite is "contaminated" with dust and such.

Love the finishes so far!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fliiper, what method does the painter use to paint the cabinets? Since they are job-built, it seems like it will be tough to get a clean finish since the worksite is "contaminated" with dust and such.

Love the finishes so far!

I believe the painter will clean all the floors Monday morning before he starts on the kitchen cabinets. He will probably complete the stain and clear on the kitchen cabinets and then cover them for the duration of construction. The rest of the cabinets will be painted with an airless sprayer. We don't usually have a problem with dust getting on the fresh paint, just people banging into them :)

flipper

No problem,

A pictureless update... The kitchen cabinets are stained and will get a coat of sanding sealer tomorrow. The rest of the trim and cabinets in the house were sprayed with undercoater today. I've gotta crack the whip, as the house must be done by 6/24.

flipper

Since we are so close to being done I'm not going to post any more pics till it's done. Paint is done, door and cabinet hardware is done. Glass is going in, kitchen backsplash is going in. The ac is on and wood floor prep is happening. We are exactly 2 months and a week in today.

stay tuned...

flipper

No problem,

A pictureless update... The kitchen cabinets are stained and will get a coat of sanding sealer tomorrow. The rest of the trim and cabinets in the house were sprayed with undercoater today. I've gotta crack the whip, as the house must be done by 6/24.

flipper

What is sanding sealer? undercoater? A DIYer wants to know.

What is sanding sealer? undercoater? A DIYer wants to know.

Sanding sealer is a clear coating with some "build" properties to it. If we are going to stain wood instead of paint it, we put the sealer on after the stain, or directly on the bare wood if there will be no stain applied. It dries very quickly (15 minutes) and sands very smooth, very easily. It also will help fill in irregularities in the wood. After it's sanded, then we apply two coats of satin lacquer, sanding between coats.

We use lacquer undercoater as a primer on wood and mdf. It also has some "build" properties to help fill in irregularities. It also dries very quickly, and it sands so much easier than a regular primer. It sands smooth as glass with 220 grit paper and makes the topcoat incredibly smooth.

Both of these products will kill your brain cells though. They reek.

flipper

Sanding sealer is a clear coating with some "build" properties to it. If we are going to stain wood instead of paint it, we put the sealer on after the stain, or directly on the bare wood if there will be no stain applied. It dries very quickly (15 minutes) and sands very smooth, very easily. It also will help fill in irregularities in the wood. After it's sanded, then we apply two coats of satin lacquer, sanding between coats.

We use lacquer undercoater as a primer on wood and mdf. It also has some "build" properties to help fill in irregularities. It also dries very quickly, and it sands so much easier than a regular primer. It sands smooth as glass with 220 grit paper and makes the topcoat incredibly smooth.

Both of these products will kill your brain cells though. They reek.

flipper

So when I see beautifully painted cabinets that are wood that have been perfectly and smoothly painted, this is probably the process. Good to know.

So when I see beautifully painted cabinets that are wood that have been perfectly and smoothly painted, this is probably the process. Good to know.

That and they were sprayed with a high volume,low pressure spray system and not brushed or sprayed with air compressor setup.

flipper

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty, this house is done. The clients moved in today.

Here are the final pictures taken before the blinds went in late this morning. I'll post some outside pictures after the grass is cut :) Sorry for the random order, I'm pooped.

We took a week under 3 months to complete this project. Check out the before pics at the beginning of the thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/in...showtopic=19816

1-1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

2-1.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

3-1.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

and some random guy:

22.jpg

flipper

I don't like it!

J/K, just thought I'd beat The Niche to he punch, he being the arbiter of style and good taste here on HAIF .

I, for one, think it looks great. Love the subway tile in the shower and glass tile back splash.

Thanks peeps. The hex tile floor is from here: http://www.mosaictilesupplies.com/index.as...mp;Category=397

They are a Texas company and were very helpful. We had to "make" the design out of white and black sheets.

flipper

Flipper, thanks for the props on Mosaic Tile Supplies. I was just on their web site the other day. I'm remodeling two bathrooms in my house and want to have some fun with it (borders on the floors, tile window sills, nice moldings at the tops of the tile wainscot). I didn't go to the "contact us" page on the web site so I didn't know until you mentioned it that MTS is out of Coldspring, Texas. I like that.

Once again the house looks marvelous.

Tile is winding down for the week. All that's left to do is a little grout in the master bath and grout the hall bath floor.

IMG_7790.jpg

I've got mad respect for anyone who has the patience and skill to install one of these custom hex tile floors. It's tedious and difficult to get right.

The granite in the kitchen and the other bath counters are going in tomorrow. The tub didn't quite fit in the hole that the granite guys cut so I have to have them correct that tomorrow also.

Thanks for looking!

flipper

I'd missed this before. This guy redefines 'patience' and 'attention to details'.

I'd missed this before. This guy redefines 'patience' and 'attention to details'.

Funny story about that day. The morning they started on the floor I had a meeting with the head guy to explain the design that I wanted. The installer didn't speak english, so the head guy explained what I wanted to him in spanish. The next day I asked the head guy to thank the installer for doing such a good job and that I knew it was difficult and that I was hard to please.

The head guy told me that the previous morning he told the installer that I was picky, so don't do a "B.S. job" or else he'll have to take it out and do it over again. :) I have found out since then, that it is a running joke with most of my subs that I am picky and somewhat of a perfectionist :)

flipper

The head guy told me that the previous morning he told the installer that I was picky, so don't do a "B.S. job" or else he'll have to take it out and do it over again. :) I have found out since then, that it is a running joke with most of my subs that I am picky and somewhat of a perfectionist :)

Buckin' for your own A&E flip show? ;)

Congratulations on another handsome and successful project!!

Buckin' for your own A&E flip show? ;)

Congratulations on another handsome and successful project!!

Believe it or not, we almost had one.

flipper

I'd believe it. In fact, I think Houston would become an epicenter for this. We have a lack of bubble in our market. We have a fast-moving community. Reworks are a good buy-in to many desirable neighborhoods. You make great choices in your redo's.

why aren't refrigerators recessed anymore??

Recessed into what? The one in this house is recessed into the cabinet around it. The back edge of the doors sit flush with the front of the cabinet. What have you seen them recessed into in the past? If anything, the old houses I've owned were set up for the fridge to just sit there and stick out a foot past the cabinet adjacent to it.

flipper

Archived