Mardi Gras New Orleans

Some are upset but do they have to put a downer on those who do celebrate Mardi Gras?

I mean didn't I hear something about how upset they were about Mardi Gras in Galveston. N.O. is NOT the only one that celebrates this!! (and Galveston has been celebrating Mardi Gras for many years!)

That's like the people in Toronto who celebrate "Carnivale" (its one of their biggest celebrations up there) and then go to the Carribean and telling them, "don't celebrate Carnivale because we aren't having a good time in Canada and its not a festive time for us to celebrate it)

I feel for the N.O. people I do and how things are bad out there but we did all we can out here in Houston!

(or still doing). I mean after all they gained the world's sympathy and all that's left is rebuilding of the city.

Some are upset but do they have to put a downer on those who do celebrate Mardi Gras?

I mean didn't I hear something about how upset they were about Mardi Gras in Galveston. N.O. is NOT the only one that celebrates this!! (and Galveston has been celebrating Mardi Gras for many years!)

That's like the people in Toronto who celebrate "Carnivale" (its one of their biggest celebrations up there) and then go to the Carribean and telling them, "don't celebrate Carnivale because we aren't having a good time in Canada and its not a festive time for us to celebrate it)

I feel for the N.O. people I do and how things are bad out there but we did all we can out here in Houston!

(or still doing). I mean after all they gained the world's sympathy and all that's left is rebuilding of the city.

Where did you hear that from? That'd be the dumbest thing ever!!!! Galveston's the 2nd biggest Mardi Gras in America! What do they have to complain about? We built their houses! We gave them a badass city to live in! And we LOVE to party! Maybe some of us prefer partying on an island than at a hurricane-ravaged area still trying to rebuild that's over 5 hours away. Yo BCG, what exactly is their complaint on Galveston?

I hadn't heard that people were complaing about Galveston having a Mardi Gras this year. Some N.O. residents have complained that they think it should have been cancelled in their town this year because it's disrespectful when there's still people hurting, so much to be done, the outlay by the city for floats and security, and so on.

If locals don't wish to go to Mardi Gras, then don't go. For N.O. to cancel one of their biggest moneymakers would be a huge mistake. Now more than ever they need to show they're stronger than any storm, and attract tourism again. It's this attitude that brought London through the Blitz.

And last I heard, N.O. doesn't have any exclusive rights to Mardi Gras. All along the Gulf Coast people have argued for years about where it started. Mobile, Galveston, Biloxi and N.O. all make claims to being the originators. Even St. Louis has a Mardi Gras, for heaven's sake.

New Orleans, keep your head up and show us what you're made of. Let the good times roll!

(at any rate, it's over now)

Where did you hear that from? That'd be the dumbest thing ever!!!! Galveston's the 2nd biggest Mardi Gras in America! What do they have to complain about? We built their houses! We gave them a badass city to live in! And we LOVE to party! Maybe some of us prefer partying on an island than at a hurricane-ravaged area still trying to rebuild that's over 5 hours away. Yo BCG, what exactly is their complaint on Galveston?

Now Now DJ, where is YOUR compassion ? If they didn't get their Govt. sponsored float to actually RIDE in the parade for Mardi Gras, I can understand. These folks need to feel at home.

I was listening to KRBE this morning. Kids went to N.O for Mardi Gras yesterday and got counted absent because its not a holiday here.

Sorry if I did mislead anyone about the New Orleans people being mad about it continuing on through Galveston. Maybe I got confused.

As far as I see it I feel if GALVESTON can rebuild a massive storm (and we didn't have communication through computers then or the interenet...then N.O can rebuild too! It will take time and patience.

I just feel history repeat itself and instead of Galveston it was New Orleans. Also, New Orleans had warning of a hurricane...Storm of 1900...didn't. Galveston is also much smaller then New Orleans as well.

either way both storms are in the history books!

Now Now DJ, where is YOUR compassion ? If they didn't get their Govt. sponsored float to actually RIDE in the parade for Mardi Gras, I can understand. These folks need to feel at home.

Sure. I'm only speaking though if the story is authentic. If not, then no big deal

I was listening to KRBE this morning. Kids went to N.O for Mardi Gras yesterday and got counted absent because its not a holiday here.

Sorry if I did mislead anyone about the New Orleans people being mad about it continuing on through Galveston. Maybe I got confused.

As far as I see it I feel if GALVESTON can rebuild a massive storm (and we didn't have communication through computers then or the interenet...then N.O can rebuild too! It will take time and patience.

I just feel history repeat itself and instead of Galveston it was New Orleans. Also, New Orleans had warning of a hurricane...Storm of 1900...didn't. Galveston is also much smaller then New Orleans as well.

either way both storms are in the history books!

Galveston wasn't rebuilt in 6 months either. I think the problem is not just Govt. "dragging their feet", it is the "I want it right now!" society we have come ot live in. 6 months, no way a project this massive could be taken care of in 6 months. It is like Hiroshima over in N.O. I really don't think the majority of people can grasp the full scope of things over there.

Forgive me, but wasn't your previous avatar an adult wearing a pink bunny suit?

You are forgiven, apparently you have never seen "A Christmas Story" starring Peter Brinkley and the recently departed Darren McGavin, R.I.P.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Mardi Gras New Orleans

Archived