Cafe Montrose

The Montrose Cafe on lower Westheimer is no more. I have been unable to find out what happened as the place was always popular (loved their mussels and Belgian Ales!). They just renovated the place for Christ's sake!

Any news appreciated. Also, its appears the site is being cleaned up; a new tenant, perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the old Cafe Montrose location on Westheimer today and saw something like "Vinoteca" on the awning. I know Marco Wiles is putting something in there- any one have any more details on the new venture? It looks like it's coming along pretty quickly, at least from a drive by view.

I drove by the old Cafe Montrose location on Westheimer today and saw something like "Vinoteca" on the awning. I know Marco Wiles is putting something in there- any one have any more details on the new venture? It looks like it's coming along pretty quickly, at least from a drive by view.

Sounds winebar-ish to me.

I hear it's supposed to be a wine and coffee bar with paninis. Always with the paninis these days! Oy vey! Anyway... I'm going by there this weekend. Will report back with pictures. :)

I guess here we just like the back end of trends.

mmmm, gotta run. A new tapas & sliders place just opened!

I hear it's supposed to be a wine and coffee bar with paninis. Always with the paninis these days! Oy vey! Anyway... I'm going by there this weekend. Will report back with pictures. :)

Are they combining the concept with the laundymat next door? Now, that would be a concept.

• 5 months later...

good news! i've been told that the chef from cafe montrose has opened another restaurant, this time with his sister. it's called jeannine's bistro. it's belgian cuisine, and it's located at 106 westheimer. plan to go there this weekend.

I completely forgot about this - Catherine Duwez of Cafe Montrose is at the Broken Spoke now:

In case you haven't heard, Catherine Duwez has become a permanent part of The Broken Spoke Cafe! Catherine, the previous owner of Cafe Montrose, will be bringing her expertise in French and Belgian cuisine. Over the next several days we will be working on a new combined menu featuring the best of Cafe Montrose and The Broken Spoke Cafe.

Since the close of Cafe Montrose, Catherine has been operating as a "movable feast" with a loyal base of customers who followed her. Catherine would like to sincerely thank all of her loyal customers who supported her over the last eight months. Now she has a permanent location so be sure to stop in.

http://www.brokenspokecafe.com/

I completely forgot about this - Catherine Duwez of Cafe Montrose is at the Broken Spoke now:

In case you haven't heard, Catherine Duwez has become a permanent part of The Broken Spoke Cafe! Catherine, the previous owner of Cafe Montrose, will be bringing her expertise in French and Belgian cuisine. Over the next several days we will be working on a new combined menu featuring the best of Cafe Montrose and The Broken Spoke Cafe.

Since the close of Cafe Montrose, Catherine has been operating as a "movable feast" with a loyal base of customers who followed her. Catherine would like to sincerely thank all of her loyal customers who supported her over the last eight months. Now she has a permanent location so be sure to stop in.

http://www.brokenspokecafe.com/

i had heard that, but had not considered her to be the real talent at cafe montrose. i could be wrong, however. now we can try both and see for ourselves. i'm assuming that everyone knows that the chef at cafe montrose was her husband and co-owner of the cafe.

good news! i've been told that the chef from cafe montrose has opened another restaurant, this time with his sister. it's called jeannine's bistro. it's belgian cuisine, and it's located at 106 westheimer. plan to go there this weekend.

I love the idea of Jeannine's opening--but i worry about the location-- there was another restaurant there. . . the martini grill --i think-- even tho it only served beer and wine--anyway--

bagby runs one way south and the section of westheimer right in front of the restaurant has a "hump" divider that makes turning left difficult----i think that's why the rent is cheap-- too bad the old house next door couldn't have been renovated for the restaurant instead--it's a great house-- and there's a vacant lot next to it for parking--

I love the idea of Jeannine's opening--but i worry about the location-- there was another restaurant there. . . the martini grill --i think-- even tho it only served beer and wine--anyway--

bagby runs one way south and the section of westheimer right in front of the restaurant has a "hump" divider that makes turning left difficult----i think that's why the rent is cheap-- too bad the old house next door couldn't have been renovated for the restaurant instead--it's a great house-- and there's a vacant lot next to it for parking--

It won't fail because of the location.

It will fail because of the same disregard for clients that the Cafe Montrose showed.

So now we have two Belgian restaurants in town. Mahvelous! Right?

I tried Cafe Jeannine (where Andrew Klarmann and his sister have set up shop) last Monday. Wasn't impressed with anything except the fabulous desserts. The mussels were decent but the fries were boring and the mayonnaise was bland and didn't taste homemade. The bread was as hard as a rock and the service was abyssmal. The space inside is very nice, but a bit stuffy on the whole. Bonus points: 1/2 off Chimay and Stella Artois during happy hour.

I tried Broken Spoke last night (where Catherine Duwez has moved in and revamped the menu). The mussels were exquisite. The fries were a million times better (although too salty) and the mayo was heaven-sent. The cheese croquettes were as wonderful as any appetizer I've ever had. The chocolate bread pudding at the end wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm sure people who enjoy bread pudding would like it. Atmosphere was much more relaxed and easy-going. Loved the space. Catherine herself was serving everyone and chatting. Very enjoyable evening on the whole.

Who else has tried the two new restaurants out yet?

Archived