Heights Village - Development Cancelled

poyea

Well, it was a good thought while it lasted. The development just south of I-10, between Yale and Heights (across from the Art Car museum) has been cancelled. I wonder what it might become now(???) . Does anyone know if those apartments on the north side of the empty lot were supposed to be part of the development? Just curious.

http://swamplot.com/heights-village-it-was.../#comment-15897

Yes. And TXDOT was suppose to put in an eastbound exit and westbound entrance to/from Yale/Heights.

Hopefully, that is gone forever. That entrance ramp was going to include adding feeder roads, which, because of the bayou was going to be elevated 20 to 30 feet above grade. Talk about noise!

Does anyone know if those apartments on the north side of the empty lot were supposed to be part of the development?
Yes.

Based on this photo - and the much better photos in the pdf brochure linked to on that page - I had thought the 4.9 acres included everything north of the train tracks, south of the Koehler/2nd St. line (i.e., not Dirt Bar), east of Yale, and west of Heights except the apartments...

not too sad to see this one go... the property has been on the market for several months, btw, so this isn't really a new development

me neither. i have high hopes for that property and those include keeping open space for the urban market... maybe someone can develop this and hit the many marks that sawyer heights missed

Based on this photo - and the much better photos in the pdf brochure linked to on that page - I had thought the 4.9 acres included everything north of the train tracks, south of the Koehler/2nd St. line (i.e., not Dirt Bar), east of Yale, and west of Heights except the apartments...

I stand corrected. I really thought there was some sort of deal in play to buy the apts, as well.

I stand corrected. I really thought there was some sort of deal in play to buy the apts, as well.

I don't really know anything more than what I saw in that brochure, which may be new. Maybe the apartments were supposed to be part of it and the developer never got them?

• 11 months later...

Anyone else notice they put up new signs about the Heights Village development? We drove by there the other day and I swear I saw a "coming soon" sign. Can anyone confirm or disprove this? That property could be developed into some really neat retail/residential areas...

As for the feeder ramp, that never got cancelled and is supposed to start construction around the same time as they break ground for the Yale street project. Why has the board been so quiet for the last couple of months?

Why has the board been so quiet for the last couple of months?

From Yahoo Business News today:

"A trouble spot for the economy — the commercial real-estate market — was clearly visible in Tuesday's report [Commerce Dept's downward revision of 3Q GDP]. Builders slashed spending on commercial building projects at an annualized pace of 18.4 percent in the third quarter. That was sharper than the 15.1 percent pace previously estimated and contributed to the GDP downgrade. "

We have fewer Projects to discuss. Take the White Oak development for example. Grandiose redevelopment plans have degenerated into For Lease signs 6 months after throwing out paying tenants. Now we're relegated to residential real estate opinionating and tracking the deranged teenage mutant pyromaniac biking developer.

We have fewer Projects to discuss. Take the White Oak development for example. Grandiose redevelopment plans have degenerated into For Lease signs 6 months after throwing out paying tenants. Now we're relegated to residential real estate opinionating and tracking the deranged teenage mutant pyromaniac biking developer.

Yeah, I suppose I thought the pyro was a well-groomed, mid twenties, large truck driving, neighborhood resident? j/k

I confirmed that the sign was new and it was from ORR again. It just said something about new retail developement and was situated on the lot where they knocked down that old furniture repair place right before the Hermann Lodge property. Anyone know anything about this? I hope its not more strip malls...

Yeah, I suppose I thought the pyro was a well-groomed, mid twenties, large truck driving, neighborhood resident? j/k

I confirmed that the sign was new and it was from ORR again. It just said something about new retail developement and was situated on the lot where they knocked down that old furniture repair place right before the Hermann Lodge property. Anyone know anything about this? I hope its not more strip malls...

agreed. rather than look at their totally outdated demographics, why don't developers get involved in the neighborhood and find out what the heights, washington corridor and other area residents will support?

i mean, they didn't put a super target in at sawyer heights b/c their "research" showed the area wouldn't support it (so i heard) and now (so i've also heard) it's one of the highest grossing targets in metro-houston (and i believe it. 2 days ago its parking lot was far busier than the toyrus/babiesrus/academy at bunker hill). now they are trying to make up for bad research by putting random produce on end caps.

yet, as much as many of us that live around here enjoy the proximity of the target, i've yet to hear anyone say they feel it was developed the right way or even comes close to the potential that it had.

That is where HEB was considering putting a market similar to the one on Buffalo Speedway. They did a focus group on it a month or two ago.

You are correct, Emme. I have also heard they are looking at that vs. looking at the bigger lot where the steel works (almost directly west on Yale and Center) used to be for a much larger store ala Bunker Hill.

Archived