Change we can believe in?

BryanS

Obama ran on a message of "change." He's not even President yet. However, a couple of disturbing developments have emerged that make me question just how committed he is to changing this country, and moving it forward.

First, keeping Robert Gates on as Secretary of Defense. Obama... you are a DEMOCRAT. You need a democratic Secretary of Defense to restore balance to the Universe. Not sure what this fetish is with Democratic presidents that think a Republican has to be in charge of the military. Elections do have consequences.

Second, allowing hog-man, anti-gay, pro-prop8 Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inauguration. The

Obama ran on a message of "change." He's not even President yet. However, a couple of disturbing developments have emerged that make me question just how committed he is to changing this country, and moving it forward.

i'm barack obama and i don't approve this message.

First, keeping Robert Gates on as Secretary of Defense. Obama... you are a DEMOCRAT. You need a democratic Secretary of Defense to restore balance to the Universe. Not sure what this fetish is with Democratic presidents that think a Republican has to be in charge of the military. Elections do have consequences.

Second, allowing hog-man, anti-gay, pro-prop8 Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inauguration. The

He has also always said he was someone who would work with people on both sides of the aisle, and get past partisan politics. If you wanted all the Republicans swept out, Hillary was the choice for you. With Obama, we're going to have to be ready to hear a variety of voices. Even voices we don't like.

I know. And the more I think about it, the more I think she, and the Democrats, were robbed. If only FL and MI had not moved their primaries... It would be a different story right about now.

Let's see what he does and doesn't do... I'll give him a year. Not really impressed so far. He knew how unpopular the war was, yet he keeps Gates. He could have chosen a less divise person of faith, who would have been, in my view, much more progressive than the heart-attack-about-to-happen gluttonous slob, Rick Warren.

How about her:

Presiding%20Bishop%20Katharine%20Jefferts%20Schori.jpg

First female Episcopal bishop; Barbara C. Harris... and unlike Rick Warren... She probably actually voted for Obama! I would say she is more representative of where our country needs to go vs. "Jerry Falwell in a Hawaiian shirt."

Clinton also had Republicans in his cabinet... and tried all that "reaching across the aisle" garbage. Here's a clue Obama: the Republicans don't care. They're going to oppose you anyway! You're a fool if you think otherwise.

I have been fairly impressed with his selection of a cabinet.

You don't choose people just because they agree with you, that would be the utmost in stupidity.

Gates was a wise choice because he is already up to speed on the various things that are going on. To bring in a new person this late in the game would take a considerable amount of time to learn where the bodies are.

Give him until June to see if he's royally screwing people.

If only FL and MI had not moved their primaries... It would be a different story right about now.

If only Howard Dean hadn't been so stupid as to not count those delegates. DUH!

I'm a Democrat too and agree that Rick Warren is bad choice. Why are we always expected to cater to these right-wing nuts? They never cater to us.

I'm a Democrat too and agree that Rick Warren is bad choice. Why are we always expected to cater to these right-wing nuts? They never cater to us.

Exactly. Republicans are appeased. "He's doing good." But they'll never vote for him. You can still play this game of charades of inclusiveness, and "diverse points of view" ... without getting bogged down with controversial figures.

Gay and lesbian people were left for dead on Election Day. Of all the 50 states out there... Obama picked a man who openly advocated for the repeal of civil rights in a controversial ballot initiative. Because, hey, he's met gay people. He's even given them "water and doughnuts." Good enough. Put him on the program.

WHOA, WHOA WHOA ! Rick Warren didn't go askin' Obama if he could do the prayer. Obama asked HIM ! What would you rather, Jeremiah Wright, after all, he was Obama's preacher for 20 years ? Which is a bigger mistake though, snubbing your preacher, or snubbing 10s of thousands that helped elect you into office ?

WHOA, WHOA WHOA ! Rick Warren didn't go askin' Obama if he could do the prayer. Obama asked HIM ! What would you rather, Jeremiah Wright, after all, he was Obama's preacher for 20 years ? Which is a bigger mistake though, snubbing your preacher, or snubbing 10s of thousands that helped elect you into office ?

I was talking about appeasing Rick Warren's audience not Rick Warren himself.

I just find it interesting.

It took people 5 or six years to turn on bush, but its been about 5 or 6 weeks for people to already to turn on Obama.

Interesting indeed!

HA! I'm not turning on him, I'm criticizing his choice of Rick Warren. I criticized Howard Dean too. Doesn't mean I'm turning on him. Believe me, Obama and Dean aren't going to turn me into a Republican.

I find a bit humorous that all the pro-Democrat/anti-Republicans are very angry and bitter on the Internet. I'm not stereotyping, because I feel like I've seen enough.

Right you are. The internets in general devolved pretty rapidly into a cackling, bitter old women's bitchfest. It's the low price of admission.

Let's see what he does and doesn't do... I'll give him a year.

No need to wait that long. Traditionally, presidents are judged on their first 100 days.

Until he gets into office and actually has the chance to do something I won't judge him.

This is all just partisan nit-picking and left over campaign steam from the angry left.

I find a bit humorous that all the pro-Democrat/anti-Republicans are very angry and bitter on the Internet. I'm not stereotyping, because I feel like I've seen enough.

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Yeah, Republicans are never angry and bitter. :huh:

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Yeah, Republicans are never angry and bitter. :huh:

Everyone gets angry and bitter. Difference is Republicans very often sit back and smile and gloat at all they have or have accomplished (earn, steal, hoard, whatever), while Democrats after any success just move on to the next thing to whine and crusade about.

No need to wait that long. Traditionally, presidents are judged on their first 100 days.

Until he gets into office and actually has the chance to do something I won't judge him.

This is all just partisan nit-picking and left over campaign steam from the angry left.

From what I read... gay and lesbian people will have to wait longer than that. That is because... legislation, such non-discrimination in employment, hate crimes, and a repeal of "don't ask don't tell" are going to be placed on... the back burner. Perhaps, as even as long as, 2012/2013 - after he (plans to win) re-election. The code speak is already evident. And is becoming more evident by his actions, recently with Rick Warren. What is really going on here? I'm beginning to wonder

From what I read... gay and lesbian people will have to wait longer than that. That is because... legislation, such non-discrimination in employment, hate crimes, and a repeal of "don't ask don't tell" are going to be placed on... the back burner. Perhaps, as even as long as, 2012/2013 - after he (plans to win) re-election. The code speak is already evident. And is becoming more evident by his actions, recently with Rick Warren. What is really going on here? I'm beginning to wonder

Second, allowing hog-man, anti-gay, pro-prop8 Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the inauguration. The "new" Jerry Falwell. Rick, lay off the fried chicken. You'll end up like your buddy.

What other actions has Obama taken (or not taken) that make you question his commitment to "change?"

I am *this close* to joining the Green (or even Libertarian) Party...

So, catering to everybody and not one group of people is not change to you?

I swear, he's ____ed no matter what he does. People just need to STFU and get over it. He's just doing to inauguration, no one should care what his trivial *in this event* views are, I mean unless he goes into a rant about 'how he hates gays' no one should care. But you know so uptight douche bags are going to get their panties all in a twist over this.

Really? You serious?

"Hey!! They were mean to us, so we have to be mean to them back!!!!"

Much change there huh?

Seriously! ha ha Republicans are the most bitter people out there. Then again I would be too if I yearned for America to go back to the 1940s and 1950s. :rolleyes:

I'd like to add most (not all, though you seem to be included in this) leftists (not Democrats specifically) are quick to attack and extremely bias.

Well, everyone's biased to an extent, I will say I am, but the problem is they don't admit it.

Biased admins are the worse. My terrible experiences at Simtropolis involved admins turning a blind eye to vicious Bush haters but were quick to the gun when it involved bashing other candidates.

Needless to say, this is why I hate this section of forums, as they usually devolve into

a) An argument of religion and morals

B) Thoughtless yet vicious gnashing of teeth and personal attacks.

This could get very ugly very fast.

A sensible admin would lock the topic as soon as things start getting ugly, like now.

I'd like to add most (not all, though you seem to be included in this) leftists (not Democrats specifically) are quick to attack and extremely bias.

Well, everyone's biased to an extent, I will say I am, but the problem is they don't admit it.

Biased admins are the worse. My terrible experiences at Simtropolis involved admins turning a blind eye to vicious Bush haters but were quick to the gun when it involved bashing other candidates.

Needless to say, this is why I hate this section of forums, as they usually devolve into

a) An argument of religion and morals

B) Thoughtless yet vicious gnashing of teeth and personal attacks.

This could get very ugly very fast.

A sensible admin would lock the topic as soon as things start getting ugly, like now.

You hate this section of forums yet you read them and post in them..... :huh::huh:

You hate this section of forums yet you read them and post in them..... :huh::huh:

It's interesting at first...when things are newsworthy and fairly neutral and stuff...then when things get nasty, I take off (and, like I said, I didn't follow that advice at Simtropolis). And now,

POOF.

Politics is a full contact sport, both for the candidates and those that debate it. If it hurts your feelings when the flaws of your favorite candidate or party are laid bare, I suggest that you stick to the other less incendiary forums. I mean that with all sincerity. Those of us who post in the political forums usually recognize that we will invariably get insulted, whether directly or indirectly. To demand utter politeness, with the threat of closing threads, in a political forum is to stifle debate. The mods have done a good job of keeping these threads as civil as political threads can (or should be).

My recommendation is to keep your own postings free of personal attacks and grow thicker skin. If you feel a post is out of line, public shaming is allowed and works pretty well.

EDIT: Oh, and Hitler analogies never fly. :)

So, catering to everybody and not one group of people is not change to you?

1.) He's definitely not catering to everybody, with that kind of pick - beyond the gay issue.

2.) He could cater to a much wider audience with a different pick (as I have suggested)

3.) As such, I see more of the same, not this so-called "change" he's been espousing.

We'll see. I'll give him a year...

1.) He's definitely not catering to everybody, with that kind of pick - beyond the gay issue.

2.) He could cater to a much wider audience with a different pick (as I have suggested)

3.) As such, I see more of the same, not this so-called "change" he's been espousing.

We'll see. I'll give him a year...

An Atlanta civil rights icon will play a very visible role in the historic and star-studded inauguration of Barack Obama, the nation

Archived