Change we can believe in?

BryanS

Since you are keeping score, maybe you could start with pointing us to Obama's promise to let gays marry. I am unaware of it. If you or other gays are superimposing your wishes onto a president elect who did not promise it, I would be inclined to come down far more harshly on your complaint than Obama's selection of Warren for the invocation.

FWIW, my gripe would be with having an invocation at all, but if you're gonna have an invocation, you might as well have some far-right douchebag give it, so that the fundies can have a few warm fuzzies. It is not as if Warren was appointed to a cabinet post. Gay Nation would be better served letting this one pass and picking their battles better, but that is not an area it has excelled in.

EDIT: On second thought, I am actually offended at much of what Warren says, but I think this a is a GREAT pick! Why? So that both Warren AND Obama may be skewered for their positions on the matter, as is currently being done. Obama still did not promise anything, but by stupidly highlighting it during something as silly as an invocation, his stance can be publicly ridiculed.

It's not about gay marriage. It's about inclusiveness and healing wounds; bringing the country together. Isn't that what he keeps harping? ... and then he goes off and selects someone that is basically a "nice" Jerry Falwell type vs. a more progressive, less caustic, less divisive person of faith. Whose selection does nothing to increase his support and gives great cause for those who did support him to question exactly how committed he his to his change message...

And all Gay Nation is saying is "Hey... we just got rooked in California. And this supposed 'nice guy' evangelical preacher, turns out is no different than all the others, based on his advocacy of stripping existing civil rights away from people, in California. Look at his commercial. What a mistake. Obama: Please don't screw up like this again when it comes to people that actually helped put you into office. Is that too hard to ask?"

Certainly not enough, at this point, to wholesale abandon him. I reserve to take that action after giving him a year to prove how real (or not) he is.

I know. And the more I think about it, the more I think she, and the Democrats, were robbed. If only FL and MI had not moved their primaries... It would be a different story right about now.

Let's see what he does and doesn't do... I'll give him a year. Not really impressed so far. He knew how unpopular the war was, yet he keeps Gates. He could have chosen a less divise person of faith, who would have been, in my view, much more progressive than the heart-attack-about-to-happen gluttonous slob, Rick Warren.

How about her:

Presiding%20Bishop%20Katharine%20Jefferts%20Schori.jpg

First female Episcopal bishop; Barbara C. Harris... and unlike Rick Warren... She probably actually voted for Obama! I would say she is more representative of where our country needs to go vs. "Jerry Falwell in a Hawaiian shirt."

Clinton also had Republicans in his cabinet... and tried all that "reaching across the aisle" garbage. Here's a clue Obama: the Republicans don't care. They're going to oppose you anyway! You're a fool if you think otherwise.

That's a picture of Katharine Jefferts Schori. While I wouldn't agree with it, choosing her would make just as many people (on the other side of the fence) wig out.

reaching across is one thing but he could have chosen someone a little less skewed in one direction than this guy. we go from rev. wright and his crazy-ass left wing ideology to a jerry falwell clone. one extreme to the other, how about someone in the middle that can at least appeal to both sides.

reaching across is one thing but he could have chosen someone a little less skewed in one direction than this guy. we go from rev. wright and his crazy-ass left wing ideology to a jerry falwell clone. one extreme to the other, how about someone in the middle that can at least appeal to both sides.

To me, Rev. Wright is like watching Comedy Central. His rendition of a white marching band... had me rolling on the floor...

That's a picture of Katharine Jefferts Schori. While I wouldn't agree with it, choosing her would make just as many people (on the other side of the fence) wig out.

Doh! ... I knew there was a "first female Episcopal bishop"... Katharine Jefferts Schori is the first "woman Presiding bishop of the Episcopal church in the United States"...

The real Barbara Harris... which I still think would have been a better choice...

Bishop Barbara C. Harris

biothumb_harrisBarbaraC.jpg

In 1988, Bishop Barbara Harris was elected suffragan (assisting) bishop of the Diocese of Massachusetts. In 1989, she was consecrated a bishop, the first woman to be ordained to the episcopate in the worldwide Anglican Communion. Bishop Harris has been active in professional and community organizations, as well as in national church service.

A member of the Union of Black Episcopalians and a past president of the Episcopal Urban Caucus, Bishop Harris has represented the Episcopal Church on the board of the Prisoner Visitation and Support Committee. She is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts and a former member of the Episcopal Church's Standing Commission on Anglican and International Peace with Justice Concerns. After a long and distinguished career in the Episcopal church, Bishop Harris retired as bishop of the Episcopal Church in 2002 and currently serves as an assisting bishop to Bishop John B. Chane in the Diocese of Washington, DC.

http://www.nhap.org/bios/harrisBarbaraC.html

Archived