Walter Price Home

BenH

While this house is undeniably Mid-Century, it can hardly be called Modern. Perhaps some better name could be coined to describe the very un-modern building style also popular at that time (informal, rustic, knotty pine panelling, faux-Colonial accents.)

Is this house representative of Mr. Vale's work? or did he also design MCM houses?

While this house is undeniably Mid-Century, it can hardly be called Modern. Perhaps some better name could be coined to describe the very un-modern building style also popular at that time (informal, rustic, knotty pine panelling, faux-Colonial accents.)

Is this house representative of Mr. Vale's work? or did he also design MCM houses?

I think it falls nicely under the "Ranch" label.

Vale worked in many different styles. See the guide I posted here called "A Brief Guide to the work of Wylie W. Vale", although I should probably go back over that and re-evaluate it. His own house on Memorial Drive has influences of Cliff May and Frank Lloyd Wright, but many aspects are unique to this part of Texas.

I think it falls nicely under the "Ranch" label.

Vale worked in many different styles. See the guide I posted here called "A Brief Guide to the work of Wylie W. Vale", although I should probably go back over that and re-evaluate it. His own house on Memorial Drive has influences of Cliff May and Frank Lloyd Wright, but many aspects are unique to this part of Texas.

'Ranch' makes sense.*

Thanks for pointing the Wylie W. Vale guide. (The thread can be found here.)

Among the information listed about Mr. Vale is that he started practicing architecture in Houston in 1939, yet the realtor's ad claims that this house was built in 1955. Is this really his first house?

* Edit: From Willowisp's interview with Mr. Vale:

"My style was called Contemporary Country"

'Ranch' makes sense.*

Thanks for pointing the Wylie W. Vale guide. (The thread can be found here.)

Among the information listed about Mr. Vale is that he started practicing architecture in Houston in 1939, yet the realtor's ad claims that this house was built in 1955. Is this really his first house?

* Edit: From Willowisp's interview with Mr. Vale:

"My style was called Contemporary Country"

Right, but the description also says the house was built in 1836. Wasn't Texas fighting for it's independence at that point? :huh:

Mr. Vale indicated that this was his first independent design. The owner new that he needed work and asked him to design the house. From the way he described the time period, it sounded like it was before the war, so that tells me the actual date is 1936. And HCAD is notoriously wrong.

Vale did have a style called Contemporary country, but this house isn't what he meant. When I spoke with him, he described the style in detail, and these are excellent examples of it:

DSC_0091Edited.jpg

DSC_0039copy.jpg

DSC_0087copy-1.jpg

DSC_0040copy.jpg

Battered stone walls, low hipped roofs, pecky cypress interiors, built-ins everywhere and the houses were usually large ramblers.

I have to amend a few previous comments I've made above. Turns out there actually IS a structure from 1836 incorporated into the house's design. A friend of mine is going over to see it Thursday, weather permitting, to get some more information on it.

The house seems to be in excellent shape. The current owners are part of the family that built it, and are very committed to preserving it. I think they are wanting to move the house to a different location if the next buyer doesn't want to keep it. It should be small enough to do this anyway.

The listing agent is holding an open house this Sunday from 1-3 for anyone who wants to see it.

The house seems to be in excellent shape. The current owners are part of the family that built it, and are very committed to preserving it. I think they are wanting to move the house to a different location if the next buyer doesn't want to keep it. It should be small enough to do this anyway.

• The title was changed to Wylie W. Vale's First House Up For Sale
  • The title was changed to Walter Price Home