Favorite Podcasts

I thought it might be fun to list out our favorite podcasts. I'll get it started:

The Wall Street Journal This Morning

Yes, I know I can listen in the morning on 740 AM, but it comes on really early.

Marketplace and Marketplace Morning Report

More financial news.

NBC Today Show

Ah, yes. I could tune in each morning, but I am at work by the time it comes on ... so I just watch the video podcasts later in the day (at work of course).

Paranormal Podcast

Because I have to either pay for CoastToCoastAM's podcast with something weird called StreamLink, or stay up from midnight to 4 a.m. to listen to it (not gonna happen on a regular basis). This is a very good substitute.

Tell Me More

I really like this show on NPR with host Michel Martin.

Blast the Right

Jack gives me fuel and tools I need to "fight the right." :lol:

BBC 1Xtra Homegrown

Underground and new music (unreleased, mostly hip hop) from the lads and lassies across the pond. Show is only 15 minutes long and some of the new music is really good.

Currently in my Podcast list:

• APRN: AK
  • Art Institute of Chicago Musecast
  • BBC: All Things Considered
  • BBC: Documentaries Archive
  • BBC: From Our Own Correspondent
  • Modern Manners Guy Quick and Dirty Tips for a More Polite Life
  • ABC: Nightline Story of the Day
  • PBS: Now
  • BBC: Peter Day's World of Business
  • ABC (Australia): The Science Show
  • Wild Chronicles
  • WTTW Arts - Architecture

(My favorites are in bold)

APM: MArketplace

Gadgettes from CNET (anything with Molly Wood)

This Week in Tech (long, but John Dvorak is a crackup)

Car Tech podcast from CNET

Ethicist (NYT)

Grammar Girl

Legal Lad

Modern Manners Guy

Savage Love Podcast (Dan Savage's sex ed should be mandatory for high schoolers)

Slate Mag Daily Podcast (especially Political Gabfest and Culture Gabfest)

60-Second Science

APM: MArketplace

Gadgettes from CNET (anything with Molly Wood)

This Week in Tech (long, but John Dvorak is a crackup)

Cat Tech podcast from CNET

Ethicist (NYT)

Grammar Girl

Legal Lad

Modern Manners Guy

Savage Love Podcast (Dan Savage's sex ed should be mandatory for high schoolers)

Slate Mag Daily Podcast (especially Political Gabfest and Culture Gabfest)

60-Second Science

TWIT is hilarious. I love the rambling nature of it. I used to listen to Technology Bytes (KPFT), but it is so long and often slow-moving.

Don't own an iPod, so I guess that tells you what is on mine.

You do realize you do not need an iPod to listen to podcasts, right?

Back when I had a looooooooong commute to work in the mornings, I'd listen to NPR to keep myself sane. Since I no longer have a long drive (and I carpool now, too), I don't get my NPR fix anymore. So I've got these as my podcasts to listen to at the gym (again, keeping myself sane):

NPR: Fresh Air

NPR: All Songs Considered

NPR: Talk of the Nation

NPR: Story Corps (I espcially love it when elderly people are reminiscing about times past)

NPR: Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me (in case I don't catch it on the weekend)

NPR: Car Talk (same reason as above -- and I :wub: these guys!)

...and too many more to list. NPR has the best podcasts, hands down.

Wow. Fresh Air keeps you sane? Once upon a time, I used to have a long 2am commute through onion fields. The only radio station I could pick up was a public radio repeater and it would re-run Fresh Air. I couldn't stand that show. Well, to be more precise -- I couldn't stand the host. This was around 1990. Maybe it's better now.

Wow. Fresh Air keeps you sane? Once upon a time, I used to have a long 2am commute through onion fields. The only radio station I could pick up was a public radio repeater and it would re-run Fresh Air. I couldn't stand that show. Well, to be more precise -- I couldn't stand the host. This was around 1990. Maybe it's better now.

If I listen to music, it's to relax and be introspective and all that jazz, which often leads to me not paying attention (not so good on the road). But if I listen to talk radio or anything thought-provoking, I stay on point and -- therefore -- sane. And also not involved in any fender-benders! :)

So...yeah. Fresh Air does serve a purpose. And it's much better than it used to be. ;)

I have a much shorter commute and much more fractured time ... I always look for shorter podcasts, in a time when they all seem to be getting longer (some more than an hour).

What ever happened to the 15 minute podcast?!?

This American Life

Buzz Out Loud Cnet

Countdown MSNBC

Connect the Dots KPFT

Real Time with Bill Maher

Bill Maher is insane! I love it when Cornell West is on there!

I never listen to podcasts. At work I listen to Howard Stern live over the Sirius internet feed. When I'm not listening to that I listen to music.

I can proudly say I have never listened to Howard Stern! B)

I dunno. Do you listen to Howard?

I'm tired of content. It's been a long time since I heard much that I had to have more of, much less on a regular drip. I'm with you on the music part.

My commute is under 15 minutes, and at home there is breaking news and email and our respective secret online lives, occasional TV, but mainly music, on a kick ass sound system. Living with the high fidelity dude has its advantages.

First off, I do not generally care for that kind of endless talking head. Secondly, from everything I've read, I wouldn't care for his silly jokes or infantile rants.

You'll never know until you try it. I'm here to testify that it's worth checking out. TESTIFY!

You'll never know until you try it. I'm here to testify that it's worth checking out. TESTIFY!

I tried listening to Stern a few times and I just didn't like it. It wasn't the subject matter that did it, it was the way he did it.

For the record, I STILL miss Stevens and Pruitt. The boner, not so much.

Archived