Black in America

Deut28Thirteen

I cant sleep so I thought I post this topic. Did anybody watch the documentary on Black in America by CNN? If you did what did you think or what do you think about the subject in general?

A side note: Very good portion of the story was done in Houston.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure there are those that will pull some kind of anti-semitic slant on this show, but there are some absolutely staggering statistics that tell a tale from a different perspective. The simple number of 70% of all black children are born to a single mom, with no father figure in the household, that is a staggering number if you think about it. The focus on the dwindling family unit within the black community was very prevalent. Of course they were dropping a lot of empty statistics throughout the show, but listening to the stories the real people told, had more reflection, than the numbers. I was however disappointed that when they dropped those numbers in your lap, they never gave a baseline to compare it to. I'm not talking a black versus white thing, but lets say just a national average for instance. Don't just drop a number like 70% with nothing to compare it to. Say the national average is 67% overall, 70% no longer is so staggering, perhaps that's the angle they wanted to take to enhance and amplify the number, in the eyes of the viewer.

Overall the documentary was fairly well balanced, the Rand Family reunion clips were pretty neat. One part I found fairly interesting was the group of young adults in Atlanta, mid twenties and thirties, both single and married. They sat around in a living room, openly discussing relationships, and dating, and lack of one thing or another. There were a lot of crazy comments in this section of the piece. I can see why there is such a disconnect. The lady that spoke first listed two things that didn't have anything to do with a black mans spirituality or health, rather she was more interested in a credit check, and bank account balances, and one of the men talked about black women not knowing their roles, I'll bet that struck a nerve in a few ladies out there. Of course this guy was single, and will likely stay that way. "Knowing your role", as if there is a scrip to follow in relationships. I believe in guidelines and principles, but roles? Roles make it sound mechanical and we all know women are not good with mechanical things. But this open discussion showed that the separation amongst young black adults comes from within themselves, if you watch it closely and pay attention. And watch as the cameraman pans the room, at some of the expressions on the faces of these people, when someone else is talking. It's funny how most of them wanted their mate to have "MATERIAL" things! Materialism has cost more black lives in America than anything else, but no, no one wants to talk about that. it seems that these people need to get to the point in which they don't need the media to explain who they are, why do they feel they need to be put on the spot light, to find out who they are?

Like I said before I do appreciate the balance of the reporting, it may not seem that way if you look at it one dimensionally, but they address many of the issues still outstanding in the world today, yet still give those not able to experience it themselves, for whatever reason it may be, a slant on which you can see things in a different perspective. It also reveals a lot of the turmoil from within the black community that is self inflicted. I do kind of question the timing of the release, would it be released if Barrack Obama were not running for President? Maybe, maybe not. However, none the less, it is a good piece. It's funny how the focus of family was grouped with the "Black Woman" part and the "Black Man" part is separate. That is a distinct separation found in everyday society, and the format of this piece reflects that, even in the titles. I will be watching the other half tonight.

This isn't their first Black in America deal though. They have done stuff called Black in America before. Now that I think about it though, this version of their series may be a little questionable, but I don't think most people thought of Obama when watching it. I didn't (from the small parts I did see).

The only thing I saw in it at all that could possibly be relative to Obama, might be the fact that he was raised by a single mother, but that didn't have any reflection on the show. I wasn't questioning the piece relating to Obama in any way, just the timing of the release. Like I said before, it was still very interesting and very well done IMHO.

You sound very sure of yourself, do you have a relative in the hierarchy at CNN? It's timing of release at the very least is questionable?

It aired on the same day the Unity convention opened. Unity is a huge annual convention for non-white journalists. It's not unusual for CNN (and other networks) to air stories focusing on minorities during the convention for various reasons (mostly pieces on blacks because blacks dominate Unity).

Unity is a kind of vicious-circle feeding frenzy for the major media groups. But I won't go into it because I don't want to derail the thread.

I don't have any insider information saying this particular piece of specifically timed for Unity, but it is another possible explanation.

Has anyone seen the trailers/commercials for this show?

"Black in America"

queue rap music! Now!

...because it is fair to say, I guess, that rap music really characterizes black people. I thought that was kinda of racist, on their part. But, oh well.

lol let's see what trae has to say.

I will later. My hot dogs are boiling right now. That's priority.

Has anyone seen the trailers/commercials for this show?

"Black in America"

queue rap music! Now!

...because it is fair to say, I guess, that rap music really characterizes black people. I thought that was kinda of racist, on their part. But, oh well.

I don't understand. CNN did that?

I don't understand. CNN did that?

Yes. You see Soledad o'Brien talking about black issues, and why you need to watch the show... and all you hear is ©rap music, in the background... I was waiting for the B-roll footage of low riding cars, rims, gold teeth, etc... but I guess even CNN won't stoop to that level.

But they kinda did the next day on their web site.

"Marriage is only for white people" or something like that. That's their way of saying that 45% of African-American women never get married. OK........

Right now, CNN's web page:

t1home.bia.freeman.irpt.jpg

document.write(cnnRenderT1TimeStamp(1216932427275));

What it means to be black in America

Sonya Freeman, an iReporter from New York, says the black community is still struggling with the legacy of slavery. "It's not just bad decision-making. It was a whole set of values that were not learned, so they can't be passed down," she said. Georgian Vince Priester said CNN's "Black in America" documentary shows "things really haven't changed" for black people. full story

As far as rap music. Rap is legitimately Black, Jazz and Soul are legitimately Black, the black community GAVE that to the rest of the world, and the rest of the world is thankful. I don't think it characterizes them, perhaps the ones that grew up in the enviroment they rap about, but NOT black people in general. Rap doesn't characterize Trae, it doesn't characterize ANY black people that I hangout with at work or bring into my home.

Rap has spawned so many musical styles and entities. I am not a big fan of rap or more recently hip-hop, but without there wouldn't be a lot of artists today (including a lot of white ones and an increasing number of Latino ones ... think Reggaton).

Anyhow, I am not sure what the point is, it is getting late and I've been up since 4:00 a.m. If I stopped making sense blame it on that.

Radio rap=pure crap. Trae's rap on his iPod=pure gold.

But yeah, rap does not define me, or anyone else I know. Some try though. Especially with Lil' Wayne and his garbage. They keep reciting his verses and stuff. Very annoying.

Rap music, I think, is generally garbage. Especially the kind that is played so loudly, that it vibrates the license plates on my car, in my garage. As far as I am concerned, that kind of music can be RETURNED to those who wrote it/like it. NO THANKS.

Rap music, I think, is generally garbage. Especially the kind that is played so loudly, that it vibrates the license plates on my car, in my garage. As far as I am concerned, that kind of music can be RETURNED to those who wrote it/like it. NO THANKS.

I feel the same about that loud ass rock music.

Its funny they did a section on rap/Hip Hop in Black in America. I like rap music but sometimes I just get tired of it. It all starts sounding the same after a while. I knew the findings about rap musice and how its supported by mostly suburban white kids. On some of my white friends myspace's they have Lil' Wane all over it with his music and pics. I ask why do you like Lil Wane so much? They say because he is real. I laugh every time. White kids that have never steped foot in a ghetto or hood sayin he is real.

I do agree that rock music is garbage imo it just loud noise.

Some try though. Especially with Lil' Wayne and his garbage. They keep reciting his verses and stuff. Very annoying.

Is that what they're doing? I always assumed they were writing the songs in their head and practicing, hoping for their big break. I see these people all the time on the subway rapping/muttering like zombies. I didn't realize they were singing along to someone else's work.

It's kind of scary to see them like that -- like they're zombies sometimes. Lifeless. Chanting. Like they've been brainwashed.

Going back to the "70% black kids born to single mom" issue.

Seriously black men need to be more responsible (I am talking in a general sense so I don't want any guy to start posting "I am responsible" comments) The most important duty a parent has is training those kids. Thank God for America, with reasonable effort your kids will fare better than you, but you just have to be there to lead them. No matter how strong and hardworking a woman is, her kids can only be more successful when there is a father leading the way.

I'd listen to many black guys talking about inequality in America and blaming it on whites. I fault this two ways: 1. IMO we shouldn't blame a set of people for whatever reason. We have a constitution and a government that's supposed to uphold it all the time, or modify it if needs be. If you feel any inequality, blame the government. 2. With the opportunity available to everyone, I think black people in the US are a a point where they can bring themselves to par with other races without affirmative action. To do this cycles back to being responsible at home and elsewhere. They just can't turn away from that fact.

Wow. There's a kind of music that can't be played quietly?? I have to see the physics behind that.

Going back to the "70% black kids born to single mom" issue.

Seriously black men need to be more responsible (I am talking in a general sense so I don't want any guy to start posting "I am responsible" comments) The most important duty a parent has is training those kids. Thank God for America, with reasonable effort your kids will fare better than you, but you just have to be there to lead them. No matter how strong and hardworking a woman is, her kids can only be more successful when there is a father leading the way.

I'd listen to many black guys talking about inequality in America and blaming it on whites. I fault this two ways: 1. IMO we shouldn't blame a set of people for whatever reason. We have a constitution and a government that's supposed to uphold it all the time, or modify it if needs be. If you feel any inequality, blame the government. 2. With the opportunity available to everyone, I think black people in the US are a a point where they can bring themselves to par with other races without affirmative action. To do this cycles back to being responsible at home and elsewhere. They just can't turn away from that fact.

I respectful do not agree with your opinions. Whites put Africans in poverty and kept them there since 1619, to what some could argue strongly, tell today. If 400 plus years of telling a people there stupid, ugly, not equal as whites, criminals, and much more horrible things, then there will be a blame on whites because of there status in America today. I can't figure out why some whites cant see that. It is going to have to take more than what America has done to reverse the effects of racism. It is true that too many African-Americans are waiting on the goverment and not doing anything to get out of proverty on there own, but it is also true, that many blacks have done all they can and then some to pull themselfs out of poverty but cant because of racism. -_-

But I do agree that the most important duty a parent has is training their kids.

That is your opinion.

I respectful do not agree with your opinions. Whites put Africans in poverty and kept them there since 1619, to what some could argue strongly, tell today. If 400 plus years of telling a people there stupid, ugly, not equal as whites, criminals, and much more horrible things, then there will be a blame on whites because of there status in America today. I can't figure out why some whites cant see that. It is going to have to take more than what America has done to reverse the effects of racism. It is true that too many African-Americans are waiting on the goverment and not doing anything to get out of proverty on there own, but it is also true, that many blacks have done all they can and then some to pull themselfs out of poverty but cant because of racism. -_-

But I do agree that the most important duty a parent has is training their kids.

it still surprises that people are living in the past instead of trying to takes steps forward. i know many successful blacks who pulled themselves out of the cycle you describe by hard work. racism affects everyone, not just blacks. i can't figure out why some blacks cant see that! encouragement starts at the home and even a single parent can provide some guidance.

it still surprises that people are living in the past instead of trying to takes steps forward. i know many successful blacks who pulled themselves out of the cycle you describe by hard work. racism affects everyone, not just blacks. i can't figure out why some blacks cant see that! encouragement starts at the home and even a single parent can provide some guidance.

Racism does not affect everyone. What are you saying?

Have you ever been PRE-judged because of the color of your skin? Been eyed suspiciously while shopping because of the color of your skin? Had people cross the street? Avert their eyes because of the color of your skin? Have you ever been stopped by the police for no reason other than driving while black (or increasingly driving while Latino)? Passed over for a job, promotion, or not even hired because of your skin color (or ethnicity)?

I agree, hard work has gotten many African Americans and others where they are and thankfully the old vestiges of racism are slowly starting to ebb, but there is still a lot of work to do. Racism does still exist and saying it doesn't because it's an unpleasant topic for you doesn't make it so.

I am not one to blame anyone for my station in life, because I know that me getting ANYWHERE really does reside in how hard I go after it, how much education I attain, and honestly, many times, being in the right place and knowing the right people.

But that does not erase the situation that existed in this country that systematically condoned by businesses and the government that kept millions of people down while giving others a free pass. This occurred in housing, in banking, in government. You can't just say it didn't happen and it didn't affect the progress and development of a whole class of folks.

Personally, I'd like to get past race, but some folks in this country (from all 'races' --another misnomer) won't let us move past skin color and see that we're all simply Americans.

Archived