1. 1. Is Dallas beautiful?

• YES
    • HELL NO
    • KIND OF
    • DON'T CARE

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am curious.  What is the source of information that you relied on to draw the conclusion that these apartment complexes (and condos) are "poorly designed and constructed?"

Education...TAMU- BS, MS College of Architecture

Observation...Houston and travel

Actualization...Design and Project Management

Contemplation.........

I usually just sit back and laugh at many of the comments some of you guys say about Dallas, but man I have to respond to this.  Everytime someone with good intentions has something to say no matter what the topic is you have to turn it around and start leashing out against Dallas. This is a very false isolated judgement of Dallas.  Yes you can find this here, by no means is it the majority.  Everytime I come down to Houston to visit my family, I am surrounded by his neighbors living in a middle class neighborhood that pass judgement have very superficial conversations involving their newest "toys" or cars or where they are vacationing trying to 'one up' each other.  My point is you get that stuff NO MATTER where you go.  It is a naul point to pretend this is isolated to Dallas or is prevalent to Dallas.  The one exception I have seen to this is visting Knoxville, TN to see some family or knowing the people in the NE and Chicago.  I grew up in Chicago and here in Dallas, moved off for college, lived in NYC, have family in Houston and Atlanta. Come to your senses, you are doing no good talking about such stuff and is what feeds this bashing and leashing out.  Go to the Dallas forum or come here for a visit, get to know the people, and you do not see such outcry of immaturity or slashing. I feel sorry for you passing such harsh judgements.  This is why every one of these threads where there is a comparison of Dallas to Houston gets shuts down, and in probably a day or two this will be yet another.  You can not help but lend yourself to trying to make someone else look bad, THAT is the classic sign of inferiority.

LOL. I like Dallas. I've lived there almost my entire life!

Education...TAMU- BS, MS College of Architecture

Observation...Houston and travel

Actualization...Design and Project Management

Contemplation.........

Well, that's an answer. Just not a very good one. I can hardley believe that your education in College Station provided you with detailed construction and design specs for specific buildings in midtown Houston and Uptown Dallas. What I think you'r trying to say is that it IS YOUR OPINION based upon those things listed that these apartment complexes (and condos) are "poorly designed and constructed.

Unless you spoke with either the actual developers and construction firms responsible for erecting these structures, residents who live in them, or some government or other agency responsible for providing oversight and assesment of these sorts of things, I find it hard to believe that you have the uncanny ability to just look at a building and determine that it is "poorly designed and constructed." I think we should just agree that your statement was YOUR OPINION as opposed to fact.

I think we should just agree that your statement was YOUR OPINION as opposed to fact.

My sentiments. Being in architecture I can tell you commerical properties today do not let you get away with nearly as much as you may think. Once you get into more dense areas typically in Uptown; city of Dallas and neighborhood associations have dedicated many sessions reforming and shaping some of the codes to adapt to the changing demographics and standards. Then "bad architecture" is only an opinion. I'm not too moved by the designs of West Village, nothing edgy but what much of the New Urbanism buildings across this country are building. I do think it is "charming" and fun environment to visit. It is a HUGE success story attracting celebrities when they are in town, boutique shopping and is very energetic and is expanding (one new 23 story residential tower about to open and two more apt buildings have started). Now Southern Living a couple of years ago did an editorial on top 10 most beautiful streets in Texas. It was either McKinney Ave or Allen Street in Uptown Dallas that took #1. Texas Architect and Architecture Record both wrote excerpts on Central Expressay early last year calling it the first "architecture interstate" and it sets the bar for new urban freeways. So while some have said they think it is cramped, bad architecture..etc.etc. for uptown, West Village, or central expressway is 1980's architecture know that is only objective. Some well respected professional opinions believe otherwise. Just remember it is your opinion.

Well actually we do, but they require special care at first, lots of nurturing, and far and few between.  I think its one of the funniest looking things having lots of Live Oaks, Maples, Sweet Gums, Cotton Woods and then BAM there's a Palm tree looking out of place.

ok the palm trees in front of the best western in hotels don't count :lol:

ok the palm trees in front of the best western in hotels don't count  :lol:

hahah...thats funny. There is this one development way out on 380 (housing development in the middle of no where) that I pass by to visit my parents. Its called Savannah and the entire entrance is lined with 30 foot palms. Not sure if they are still alive, but cracks me up when passing by cuz they are in the middle of an old corn field.

I don't think you judge the "beauty" of a city by the "height" of its buildings. To do so would be shallow. And isn't that what Houstonians claim Dallasites are?

I also think it's fair to say Houston should have more nice areas because it's much larger.

I say this having grown up in Northwest Houston and having lived Dallas for a stint of about 6 years. I lived many of those years in the Lakewood area, just 3 miles from downtown Dallas, and I really liked it (though I'm now back in Houston).

One of interesting things about that area of Dallas are the large homes on Swiss Avenue, which I believe was developed beginning in the 1910s. As I understand it, by the 1970s this area was dilapidated and they planned to raze those homes and put in public housing. Some activists intervened and had the area declared Dallas' first Historic District.

Some homes on Swiss now sell for over 1 million dollars but just one street over is Gaston, lined with old apartments. Nearly half of these apartments have been remade into luxury apartments. But before the first property was rennovated they had to kick out crack addicts. In the 50s this strip of apartments was where the swinging singles lived.

Today the remaining half of the strip seems to be of the all-bills paid type and occupied largely by hispanic immigrants. I expect the street will continue to improve and those apartments will be eventually be destroyed or rennovated.

I don't think Dallas is even pretty.... and they have zoning. Disappointing.If a city is truly beautiful, i won't have to go and find some of these places you all talk about. It wouldn't matter if i was on the freeway or not. Iwas almost in Plano before i saw something pretty. It's a shame. Overated.

The Dallas Galleria skyline doesn't even begin to compare with Houston's Uptown/Galleria skyline.  Is this a joke or something?

Dallas Galleria skyline:

3 Galleria Tower - 354 ft

1 Galleria Tower - 331 ft

2 Galleria Tower - 325 ft

The Westin - 22 floors

Houston Uptown/Galleria skyline:

Williams Tower - 901 ft (21 ft shorter than Dallas' tallest skyscraper)

San Felipe Plaza - 625 ft

Marathon Oil Tower - 562 ft

Four Leaf Towers I - 444 ft

Four Leaf Towers II - 444 ft

Aon Tower - 420 ft

Mercer West Tower - 400 ft

1200 Post Oak - 359 ft

BHP Tower - 351 ft

Wells Fargo Tower - 351 ft

Dominion Post Oak - 351 ft

The Mark - 349 ft

Galleria I - 333 ft

Montebelo - 331 ft

The list goes on with many more 200-300 footers in the vicinity...

Those are words and letters. Show me pictures.

Unfortunately i visited Dallas this past weekend for a funeral. we stayed at the Marriott suites hotel in the Market Center area. During my stay, i noticed that Dallas isn't as beautiful as some people say it is. they have as much of a litter problem as Houston does and in my opinion, a more of a graffiti problem. I thought that I35 reminded me of I10 on the east side and I45 north. The road was bad and needed much need of fixing.We also visited the suburbs of Duncanville, Desoto, Grand Prairie, and garland.... all of which were not very pretty.on our way to check in at the hotel, we passed the American Airlines Center. unfortunately i couldn't really see the arena because of a hideous looking train blocking my view.While at the hotel, i took an occasional peek out of the window to see how that part of the city looked from the 11th floor. i was disapointed. I believe that downtown Dallas has one of the best skylines at night, but during the day is a total different story. it really looked rundown. i do have to say that once we got on 635 ( near the galleria), i was much more impressed. Too bad it was the only part of town i liked.

You stayed in Dallas' equivalent of the fifth ward. Good job judging the whole metro area based on the ghetto and views from the freeways.

Think about it -- if you were to build a nice house -- would you choose to build it next to a highway or someplace peaceful and serene?

If your definition of beauty is the suburban sprawl of Houston or Plano -- then our ideas of "beauty" are completely different.

this seems like a good enough place to b*tch about dallas...

we were out last weekend in greenville (dallas), and at 2am our drinks were stripped away with no warning and we were kicked out. this happens in houston as well at some places (what are the chances of TX ever changing last call???).

then with a packed club full of people right in front, without even asking us to disperse the cops started shooting tear gas pellets at us (at least i think that's what they were). i actually got hit in the head and everyone's eyes/nose started burning. this was at 2:05am.

this seems like a good enough place to b*tch about dallas...

we were out last weekend in greenville (dallas), and at 2am our drinks were stripped away with no warning and we were kicked out. this happens in houston as well at some places (what are the chances of TX ever changing last call???).

then with a packed club full of people right in front, without even asking us to disperse the cops started shooting tear gas pellets at us (at least i think that's what they were). i actually got hit in the head and everyone's eyes/nose started burning. this was at 2:05am.

If that really happened you should call the Dallas media and or hire a lawyer to go after them for deprevation of civil rights. However, I sincerely doubt the police would use tear gas just to make people go home after bar drinking.

If that really happened you should call the Dallas media and or hire a lawyer to go after them for deprevation of civil rights. However, I sincerely doubt the police would use tear gas just to make people go home after bar drinking.

Especially at 5 mins past two or even 20 mins past two. At 2:00 they start collecting drinks and usually let you finish if you have only a little left. That in itself takes longer then 5 mins to collects. And space city if that did happen he should take the steps you outline, because this would only happen if the crowd became hostile and rebelious or violent.

This is really humorous how some of these guys are trying to make Dallas out to be. Surprised this topic has not been closed yet.

Archived