Eichler style garage doors

GREASER

I am tossing around ideas for a garage door. The garage is a flat roof, so even the coolest roll ups wont do. I have seen some that roll around like pocket doors...you can only get to one side of the garage at a time. The doors just move from side to side, they dont actually go into a pocket. My first thought was just a galv. metal ind. style frame with wheels, just like at a whse, but with panels attached to the front to give a floating affect. Thats my best idea so far..anyone have anything better? I am not worried about security (its behind a fence) as much as just blocking most the rain and keeping things kinda hidden.

I am not worried about security (its behind a fence) as much as just blocking most the rain and keeping things kinda hidden.

Massive eaves to protect from rain. Turn the lights off to "kinda" hide things. No moving parts, no hassle.

Tractor Supply stores have the whole setup...its a track that looks like two C channels put together with a couple of rolling hangers. Its something that is used on barns I found out. Can hold doors up to 450lbs

Tractor Supply stores have the whole setup...its a track that looks like two C channels put together with a couple of rolling hangers. Its something that is used on barns I found out. Can hold doors up to 450lbs

How insulated are these kinds of doors? Do they have much insulating quality, or are there large gaps through which cold and warm air would mix?

How insulated are these kinds of doors? Do they have much insulating quality, or are there large gaps through which cold and warm air would mix?

Mine are 2x4 frames with sheet metal siding. They hang one in front of the other. Because you don't want them scraping each other, they tend to have a decent gap between them. There are also gaps at the top and bottom. This is not terrible for my unheated garage, but if they were used on conditioned spaces it would get kinda breezy.

Note: My garage probably has a Tractor Supply type of setup, rather than that fancy stuff that I linked. It is also a good 30 years old.

They arent insulated at all. They have a gap at the bottom and top. I am going to make a frame from aluminum square tubing...now does anyone know where i can get some translucent panels that will stand up to weather? Thinking of maybe a roofing product? It has to be flat and not ridged like some fiberglass panels..any suggestions?

I've always wanted to take a bunch of narrow doors, mount them on casters and a top track, and hinge them together like an accordion.

There are still many of that style in our old nabe. One of my neighbors has them on his garage built around mid 1940's and they work like new after all these years. They just rolled apart like an accordian as you indicated. Neato. :D

Archived