Fed Gets On Board For Two Light Rail Lines

roadrunner

The New Starts program allocates funding, usually 50 percent of capital costs, for new mass transit projects. The two lines are estimated to cost $1 billion. Metro plans to build two other lines, East End and Uptown, using sales tax revenue, but expects to apply later for another $500 million in federal aid, largely for the controversial University line.

The U-line will get done regardless of federal funding, right?

The New Starts program allocates funding, usually 50 percent of capital costs, for new mass transit projects. The two lines are estimated to cost $1 billion. Metro plans to build two other lines, East End and Uptown, using sales tax revenue, but expects to apply later for another $500 million in federal aid, largely for the controversial University line.

The U-line will get done regardless of federal funding, right?

I'm confused. The U Line isn't even funded yet?

A big KUDOS goes out to Sen Hutchinson. I don't often praise Republicans, but her work for public transit in Texas deserves recognition.

It's a shame that a native of DFW has to be the one to step to the plate for Houston!

She'll be running for governor soon. I'm sure she'll want you to remember this deed.

A big KUDOS goes out to Sen Hutchinson. I don't often praise Republicans, but her work for public transit in Texas deserves recognition.

It's a shame that a native of DFW has to be the one to step to the plate for Houston!

I agree with this sentiment. Independent of her running for governor, you got to wonder what the heck our local "reps" are thinking or influenced by.

We're looking at mid-2013 at the earliest, methinks.

I know we want grade separations at every intersection and subways and all that fine stuff, but how is that going to get paid for? Can we first just get a basic rail line federally funded? We're still sort of at the stage where we have to convince the feds that Houstonians will ride the damn thing, no matter how well the Red Line has done...

Oh 214, You've been waiting a LONG time for reality to sink in. :P Just Kidding. I'm not starting up, I promise. I just couldn't resist. :)

Since we've already waited 70 or so years to see a bunch of new light rail lines appear in Houston, and we have somehow managed to survive and grow as a city, what's another few years. I won't blow my brains out if ALL the lines aren't running by 2012. As long as this stuff gets under construction by then I'm o.k. with it. What's the rush anyway? Light rail is mostly for show anyway isn't it?

Are they officially behind schedule now? How many years did it take to construct the Main St. Line once they broke ground? 2 years? I still think it's possible (however unlikely) to have all the new lines going by the end of 2012. That's still almost 4 years off.

Edited by Mister X

Is there a city that has a light rail network as extensive as Houston is attempting to do without any subway or commuter rail?

Portland and Denver to name a couple. Much of Portland's system runs in-street, just like Houston's Red Line.

The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are also looking to expand their initial light rail line, which is very similar to Metro's Red Line, although it does have a very short subway segment to get it under the airport. The expansion would take light rail service from Downtown Minneapolis east along the University Avenue corridor into St. Paul with a mostly street-running line.

The trolleys and some of BART in San Francisco runs in the street too. I never saw what the big fuss was about, other than people too stupid or distracted to read the signage around the rail crossings so they make illegal left turns in front of the train. Good for them.