Traffic In Memorial Park

sidegate

It's unfortunate that Houston's best park, Memorial, has a huge road running through it. While I can understand why Memorial needs to be there, what purpose does the Memorial Loop serve other than a convenient cut through the park? I was running round the park this afternoon and found myself breathing great lungfuls of exhaust as a BIG line of cars & trucks built up on the Loop. A radical solution would be to build a couple of big car parks at each end of the park, and shut or cut back the Loop. This would keep people away who just want to be seen in their cars and attract more people who want to use the park for its (presumably) intended purpose.

And no I don't have any details on how this would be done, this is more an impassioned outburst at the fact that there is nowhere in this city to escape The Car.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's unfortunate that Houston's best park, Memorial, has a huge road running through it. While I can understand why Memorial needs to be there, what purpose does the Memorial Loop serve other than a convenient cut through the park?

guess you must have missed the clubhouse for the tennis center and the golf club house.

I'm not sure on the mandates that are in use for the park, but the road has been there since before the inception of the park itself (there used to be a Military base there).

Quite frankly, I'd like to see some easier way for people staying/living in downtown (and galleria) to be able to more easily access the park for their jogging.

I always recommend to out of town visitors to utilize that park (along with Allen Parkway, Rice, and Hermann) for their morning jog before work or in the evenings. Quite a number of them don't have cars and using Memorial park isn't very easy for them to use, but they generally enjoy the experience (and eye candy).

It's unfortunate that Houston's best park, Memorial, has a huge road running through it. While I can understand why Memorial needs to be there, what purpose does the Memorial Loop serve other than a convenient cut through the park? I was running round the park this afternoon and found myself breathing great lungfuls of exhaust as a BIG line of cars & trucks built up on the Loop. A radical solution would be to build a couple of big car parks at each end of the park, and shut or cut back the Loop. This would keep people away who just want to be seen in their cars and attract more people who want to use the park for its (presumably) intended purpose.

And no I don't have any details on how this would be done, this is more an impassioned outburst at the fact that there is nowhere in this city to escape The Car.

It'll never happen. It'll be trenched or tunnelled before it is closed. The Tanglewood royalty would throw a fit.

Besides, from my perspective, the drive through Memorial Park is sufficiently relaxing that I can use the park from the comfort of my car. Seems that removing the scenic drive just favors one kind of user of Memorial Park over another.

Besides, from my perspective, the drive through Memorial Park is sufficiently relaxing that I can use the park from the comfort of my car. Seems that removing the scenic drive just favors one kind of user of Memorial Park over another.

This nation is facing, in obesity, diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome, a health crisis of truly scary proportions. I believe walking and burning calories, rather than fossil fuels, should be encouraged at every available opportunity. I'm not against cars, they have their place during the working week, but other forms of recreation should be encouraged.

There was a proposal related to your concerns a few years ago. I have not heard much since.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2002_3581843

"Option C reflects more compromise - and controversy. It would keep playing fields, although move them to a central location. But it also calls for rerouting Memorial Drive in an arc through the park's northern part, allowing for restoration of forest in the park's heart. Memorial Drive would follow what is now Memorial Loop Drive."

This nation is facing, in obesity, diabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome, a health crisis of truly scary proportions. I believe walking and burning calories, rather than fossil fuels, should be encouraged at every available opportunity. I'm not against cars, they have their place during the working week, but other forms of recreation should be encouraged.

It doesn't scare me.

Socialized medicine and the inevitible outcry to cut costs by controlling people's lives and incentivize projects like you suggest...that scares me.

boy, that was quite a leap. wait til I catch my breath.

ok so we'll disagree on that, but even the most cursory poll of health professionals, pharma executives (see, it's not all about socialized medicine!) and life science academics will bear me out (I know since I'm one of the latter).

There was a proposal related to your concerns a few years ago. I have not heard much since.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2002_3581843

"Option C reflects more compromise - and controversy. It would keep playing fields, although move them to a central location. But it also calls for rerouting Memorial Drive in an arc through the park's northern part, allowing for restoration of forest in the park's heart. Memorial Drive would follow what is now Memorial Loop Drive."

Realistically I don't think Memorial could be taken away. But in my opinion there's a strong case for rethinking the arterial structure within the park . Hermann park has such a feeling of tranquility about it, due in large part to the fact that at some points you can be half a mile away from the nearest major road.

Realistically I don't think Memorial could be taken away. But in my opinion there's a strong case for rethinking the arterial structure within the park . Hermann park has such a feeling of tranquility about it, due in large part to the fact that at some points you can be half a mile away from the nearest major road.

Memorial park can't be taken away unless it is used for its mandated use as a park. If so, then the land reverts back to the family.

Is there room to put bushy trees along the road to kind of section off the road from the park?

That would be a bad idea because then you would be limiting the sight lines. Police patrols need to be able to see what is happening on the paths.

That would be a bad idea because then you would be limiting the sight lines. Police patrols need to be able to see what is happening on the paths.

True. Is there room to move the path over five to ten feet?

But honestly, I'm not sure what the big deal is anyway. People jog up and down roads more traveled than memorial.

Memorial park can't be taken away unless it is used for its mandated use as a park. If so, then the land reverts back to the family.

Sorry, I meant Memorial *Drive* couldn't be taken away, given that it's a major artery between downtown and points west. The same isn't true for the smaller roads within the park.

Sorry, I meant Memorial *Drive* couldn't be taken away, given that it's a major artery between downtown and points west. The same isn't true for the smaller roads within the park.

Depends on what is proposed for the smaller roads.

Those roads are there to get access to the Tennis courts, Golf Course, and restaurants. SO I think they're quite crucial to access to the parks. Admit it or not, the park is very well designed with regards to traffic/utilization.

My only complaint is accessibility to those people that don't have cars, but like I have said previously, I usually just point people to the other jogging trails.

I agree with Lockmat, I don't see what the big deal is. People are jogging in worse areas with higher traffic. As far as setbacks go, there isn't much room because then you would be getting rid of the "border" for the various fields/courses.

ok so we'll disagree on that, but even the most cursory poll of health professionals, pharma executives (see, it's not all about socialized medicine!) and life science academics will bear me out (I know since I'm one of the latter).

Oh, I don't doubt that obesity causes distress to a lot of people or that people in health-related occupations think of it as an incidious complicating factor.

But when you're talking about public policy, I am of the mind that people can make their own lifestyle choices. They don't need incentives or dictates. Some people want to live forever and that's fine for them; I want to live well.

What, and shield the joggers from the motor pervs? Are you crazy?

I wonder if this is the recreation from his car that Niche spoke of.

One of many forms of recreation available to motorists.

Memorial Park is an interesting study in Urban Parks. The land was donated to the city by Ima Hogg and part of the process that set up the gift allowed for a conservancy board to guide and direct the parks growth and usage. As I recall there is still one lady who sits on the board who was a personal friend of Ms. Hogg. She advocates and has advocated for years that Memorial Park should be nothing more than a forest with hiking trails only. She was oppoed to the sports fields, opposed to the redesign of the golf course, and even opposed the recent addition of a playground area in the park. She feels and has stated on more than one occasion that Ima Hogg would be shocked by what her donation has become. I do know that the park can only be used as a park and any other use would revert the land back to her heirs. I remember back in the seventies I think when the city thought there might be oil under the park that the discussion was that any attempt to produce that oil would result in the reversion of the property so in the end the city gave up the idea.

I think they serve different purposes. Hermann's good if you are in a reflective mood or want to take your kid to feed the water fowl. It's an amazing renovation job - parts of it are downright stately.

Memorial has a more vital feel to it with lots of people running and walking, good if you feel being around your fellow citizens. Or taking your newly washed car for a spin :P

I think they serve different purposes. Hermann's good if you are in a reflective mood or want to take your kid to feed the water fowl. It's an amazing renovation job - parts of it are downright stately.

Memorial has a more vital feel to it with lots of people running and walking, good if you feel being around your fellow citizens. Or taking your newly washed car for a spin :P

Most people in Memorial park stick to the major trails and facilities, but I tend to prefer avoiding them and venture deep into the southern forests. Out there is a whole lot more quiet and isolated than Hermann Park could ever be.

Most people in Memorial park stick to the major trails and facilities, but I tend to prefer avoiding them and venture deep into the southern forests. Out there is a whole lot more quiet and isolated than Hermann Park could ever be.

Well, yes. I could get a much better swim in a Hill Country swimming hole than I could in the public pool in Memorial, but it's not exactly as convenient. There's a trade off in everything.

Well, yes. I could get a much better swim in a Hill Country swimming hole than I could in the public pool in Memorial, but it's not exactly as convenient. There's a trade off in everything.

I think you misunderstood me. By "southern forests," I meant the pine forests of Memorial Park that are south of Memorial Dr. and that are continuous all the way to the Buffalo Bayou. Hundreds of acres, not too many people. And if you go an a weekday during school and business hours, it's pretty much yours and yours alone.

Is there room to put bushy trees along the road to kind of section off the road from the park?

There was a chron article on this problem not too long ago; maybe this past summer.

Um no. Most of us want witnesses if we are going to get attacked on a pathway. I never liked those dark and dense pathways in the burbs. No witnesses, no possiblity of help.

I think you misunderstood me. By "southern forests," I meant the pine forests of Memorial Park that are south of Memorial Dr. and that are continuous all the way to the Buffalo Bayou. Hundreds of acres, not too many people. And if you go an a weekday during school and business hours, it's pretty much yours and yours alone.

Niche, I agree that it's nice back there, but I would advice new visitors to be VERY careful of the mountain bikers. They will come up on you really fast in some places and it's hard for them to see anything in front of them and slow down until they're right on top of you.

With regards to the OP - it's a popular urban park and it's crowded during peak times, particularly on weekend mornings and weekday evenings. So what? Memorial Loop is actually a pretty well designed road in that with the 1/2 one-way segment it prevents some traffic from cutting through from Washington Dr to Memorial Dr westbound. There is obviously an argument to be had that the original vision for the whole park was similar to what the Arboretum is today, but all of the facilities are there now and aren't going anywhere so there need to be roads there to access them. There are plenty of other parks in town that are quieter if you don't like the crowds, but it's popular and it's in a central location in a major city and therefore it's going to be crowded. I would argue that most users of the park understand this tradeoff and would rather put up with the crowds than have no access at all.

well at the very least. i'd like to see steel bollards installed along the memorial drive section of the running track. some wannabe michael schumachers come peeling down there when there are no cops around. if any of them left the paved surface for any reason, on a busy day like a nice sunday afternoon there'd be carnage.

I think a small barrier would be nice, but not for what you think. The track elevation is sufficient enough to keep MOST vehicles from jumping the curb. however one would be nice for people on bikes or strollers to keep from inadvertently going onto the roadway. Not to mention the occasional person that would trip.

well at the very least. i'd like to see steel bollards installed along the memorial drive section of the running track. some wannabe michael schumachers come peeling down there when there are no cops around. if any of them left the paved surface for any reason, on a busy day like a nice sunday afternoon there'd be carnage.

I run through there a lot and I agree wholeheartedly with this idea. It's quite dangerous how close the road is to the trail, particularly in light of the number of people who like to wear headphones while they run.

I run through there a lot and I agree wholeheartedly with this idea. It's quite dangerous how close the road is to the trail, particularly in light of the number of people who like to wear headphones while they run.

Has this happened before? I've never heard of a jogger going off the path into Memorial before.

Not to be mean, but do we really have to constantly live in a nanny state?

Has this happened before? I've never heard of a jogger going off the path into Memorial before.

Not to be mean, but do we really have to constantly live in a nanny state?

i wasn't talking about joggers leaving the trail, I was referring to the much higher possibility of a vehicle leaving the road. some really top heavy SUVs don't take much to tip them over and more often than not they are driven like they are better road-handling passenger cars.

Archived