Traffic In Memorial Park

sidegate

I don't know about you, but the times that i've driven through there, i didn't see any eye candy. If anything, i saw alot of older women w/o makeup....not a pretty sight.

Holy moly are you going at the wrong times, then!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh look, guess Memorial's not fine after all.....

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...ty.a48a61e.html

Memorial Park Trail system gets a facelift

02:34 PM CST on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

KHOU.com staff report

The City of Houston has is giving hikers, bikers and running a new place to explore.

On Tuesday, the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and the Memorial Park Conservancy announced a $10 million dollar campaign to upgrade the Memorial Park Trail system.

The project will lengthen and connect trails.

It will also add new structures including a bridge near Memorial Drive and north picnic lane near the railroad bridge.

Funds for the project are coming from the city and from private donations.

I made no specific reference to that idea in my post. What it does highlight is that there is a lot about the park that could be improved in terms of separating people and cars.

That doesn't mean that Memorial Park isn't already fine. Things that are "fine" can still be improved.

A BMW M3 is fine. A BMW M5 is better.

The only meaningful question is whether the marginal benefits of the proposed upgrades surpass the marginal cost.

The proposed/planned work is to add another jogging path and to make some pedestrian bridges over existing Memorial Drive. All of this was part of the almost decade old Master Plan I referred to earlier. The road around the jogging path/golf course on the north side of Memorial that started this thread is untouched.

The road around the jogging path/golf course on the north side of Memorial that started this thread is untouched.

Because its not a hazard and there is not reason to change it.

I'm glad to see them adding onto the park. That is making good use of dollars. Its been a great place for Houstonians to enjoy.

I guess judging from your response, i must be!

Weekend mornings between 7:30 and 10:00, especially sunny Saturdays in the spring.

Weekday evenings between 5:00 and dark, particularly late evenings in the summer just before dark.

Also, if you are into really fit people who think about nothing but working out (and don't really care how they look while working out, which is different than the eye candy mentioned above), then ANY MORNING between 5:00 and 7:00. These are the crazy fitness/marathon buffs and some of them are so skinny and tiny - men and women - that in my opinion many of them are not all that attractive.

Just to clear things up... :P

• 2 weeks later...

An article in this mornings Chronicle clarifies the proposed upgrades at Memorial

• A running trail across the street from the Seymour Lieberman trail that will roughly parallel the existing path as it winds around Memorial Loop.

• A new running center on the south side of Memorial Park to alleviate crowding at the Tennis Center.

• A retaining wall at the low point of the existing trail on Memorial Drive to replace temporary fencing that keeps runners from stepping into a drop-off created by erosion.

• A pedestrian bridge across Memorial Drive.

• Improved access to areas in the park where under-used trails exist.

• Lighting the bike path on the south side of the park.

Full article here Link

I'm glad that The Houston Area Road Runners Association (HARRA) is stepping up to the plate and helping out. It is a pity that there aren't more donations from the rest of the locals that use the park regularly.

I kinda' feel a bit vindicated by the fact that they also realize a small retaining barrier is needed along the curb is needed.

it's going to be interesting to see in what shape it takes.

Archived