Current Project Pictures

According to the neighbor next door (who is an original owner), Spring Valley had a restriction in the 50's on building a two story house in the city. He says the intent was to prevent garage apartments.

The builder who built the house we are renovating went ahead and built this house so that it could be a 2/1.5 story, but the city put a stop to it before completion. So, the "upstairs" remained an attic with no stairs (besides the pulldown in the hall).

Obviously that restriction is now gone, so up we go!

Before:

IMG_8187.jpg

Currently:

IMG_8916.jpg

Before:

IMG_8467.jpg

Currently:

IMG_8908.jpg

We moved the back wall of the house back to make room for the stairs, and to make the den larger

Before:

IMG_8466.jpg

Currently:

IMG_8912.jpg

Before:

IMG_8464.jpg

Currently:

IMG_8903.jpg

There used to be 3 bedrooms downstairs. We are using one of them as the master closet now:

IMG_8914.jpg

That means we are using the old master bath and master closet all as bathroom now:

IMG_8913.jpg

Imagine walking into your house one day and finding it like this:

IMG_8884.jpg

Hope you enjoyed,

flipper

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that all original framing? It looks really good and in really good condition. Do you have to fire-block in the remodels?

The dark brown is original, the lighter is new. Yes on the fireblocking. It's a new experience for me.

flipper

The eave space in the first few pics... attic into which you're expanding or existing living space? I see an some utility (a duct) at the far end. Are you running that under a new subfloor or tucking behind a wall?

I imagine it will be going inside the wall perpendicular to the gable.

The dark brown is original, the lighter is new. Yes on the fireblocking. It's a new experience for me.

flipper

Did your sub look at you funny when you told him it had to be fireblocked and did he then try to sell you on why it wouldn't need to be fireblocked?

Framing crews HATE fireblocking. It cracks me up. The same framer, on every house I've built, tries to tell me every time it doesn't have to be done knowing damn well it does.

Then, it would take his crew a day to fireblock the entire house. lol

Did your sub look at you funny when you told him it had to be fireblocked and did he then try to sell you on why it wouldn't need to be fireblocked?

Framing crews HATE fireblocking. It cracks me up. The same framer, on every house I've built, tries to tell me every time it doesn't have to be done knowing damn well it does.

Then, it would take his crew a day to fireblock the entire house. lol

My guy knows I read my IRC book so it wasn't too bad. Actually the head guy of the framing crew has been great about all of the "on the fly" changes. Such is remodeling though.

I'm already expecting to get tagged for Hurricane straps. I'll just add them wherever the inspector wants them.

flipper

The eave space in the first few pics... attic into which you're expanding or existing living space? I see an some utility (a duct) at the far end. Are you running that under a new subfloor or tucking behind a wall?

We scrapped the entire existing HVAC system and are going back with 2 new seperate systems for the upstairs and downstairs. We had to do 3 fur-downs for duct work. A window seat on each gable end upstairs running under the window. and a little one across the ceiling above the stair landing for a supply duct. The bedrooms on both ends up stairs are fed with wall supplies since we couldn't get supply ducts into the 2x6 rafters.

It definetly wasn't the most straight forward HVAC install we've done.

flipper

This is exactly what I did as soon as we moved in. Made attic into a loft. Now have views of woods on East and downtown on West side. Picture perfect scenes of sunsets and firework displays on holidays. Its another world up there, right! :)

My guy knows I read my IRC book so it wasn't too bad. Actually the head guy of the framing crew has been great about all of the "on the fly" changes. Such is remodeling though.

I'm already expecting to get tagged for Hurricane straps. I'll just add them wherever the inspector wants them.

flipper

From a liability standpoint, it is probably better to go ahead and do the strapping everywhere required. They aren't expensive and take a few hours to install. I would do it just in case, regardless of whether the inspector notices them.

Great way to add value to the home as well when you can tell the home owner that the "old house has new safety features like...".

From a liability standpoint, it is probably better to go ahead and do the strapping everywhere required. They aren't expensive and take a few hours to install. I would do it just in case, regardless of whether the inspector notices them.

Great way to add value to the home as well when you can tell the home owner that the "old house has new safety features like...".

I'm having trouble finding a strap for the knee wall upstairs. I can't find anything with the right twist in it because of the angled top plate. Any ideas?

flipper

The plate itself is angled? Got a picture of this?

You can see the new knee wall in the second picture in this thread (barely) It's built just like the knee wall in the first pic though.

flipper

p.s. passed electrical rough in today!

What about blocking the plate (take a piece of 2x4, cut at an angle to match the plate, and affix to the plate to provide a level surface) so that there is a flat surface to attach to, and use some of the bendable straps to tie the block to the plate for extra strength?

What about blocking the plate (take a piece of 2x4, cut at an angle to match the plate, and affix to the plate to provide a level surface) so that there is a flat surface to attach to, and use some of the bendable straps to tie the block to the plate for extra strength?

That might fly. I think I'll just ask the inspector what he wants to see. It's a one man show in spring valley. Thanks for the thoughts.

flipper

Updated pictures as of this afternoon. And you thought it was gutted before!

02-05-08_1637.jpg

02-05-08_1257.jpg

02-05-08_1251.jpg

pretty wild huh? All the dirt in the yard is from excavating for new sewer lines.

flipper

ps. that sink in the last pic is up for grabs.

How did the plate/strap issue work out?

Got the go ahead on it. He's making us add some studs to that open wall in the master bathroom. He said it was too flimsy. It wouldn't be flimsy if he'd let us put the OSB up on it :)

flipper

Got the go ahead on it. He's making us add some studs to that open wall in the master bathroom. He said it was too flimsy. It wouldn't be flimsy if he'd let us put the OSB up on it :)

flipper

lol, different loads, which is why he insisted. Better safe than sorry though.

• 2 weeks later...

All rough inspections are passed, energy inspection passed... Time to Sheetrock!!!

Formal Living Room, looking into entry:

IMG_9496.jpg

Formal Living Room:

IMG_9490.jpg

Looking into Dining Room:

IMG_9492.jpg

Entry, looking Den:

IMG_9497.jpg

Looking through Kitchen into Dining:

IMG_9476.jpg

From Kitchen, looking out through Bar into Den:

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg

Kitchen looking into Breakfast room:

IMG_9472.jpg

Den, looking into kitchen/breakfast:

IMG_9468.jpg

Master Bedroom, looking into master bath:

IMG_9479.jpg

Master Bedroom looking into master closet:

IMG_9483.jpg

Door in Master bedroom leading to back porch:

IMG_9484.jpg

Downstairs Hall Bath:

IMG_9486.jpg

West upstairs bedroom:

IMG_9011.jpg

East upstairs bedroom:

IMG_9016.jpg

Looking down the stairs:

IMG_9015.jpg

Looking "through" an upstairs bedroom into upstairs bathroom:

IMG_9012.jpg

Upstairs hallway:

IMG_9014.jpg

Sheetrock should be up, taped and floated this week.

Thanks for looking!

flipper

Sheetrock is up, texture is done, tile is in process, trim starts tommorow.

Upstairs bathroom:

IMG_9626.jpg

Upstairs Bedroom:

IMG_9625.jpg

Upstairs Hallway:

IMG_9624.jpg

Looking up the stairs:

IMG_9620.jpg

Den into Breakfast Room:

IMG_9609.jpg

Formal Living Room (it's huge):

IMG_9606.jpg

Master Shower:

IMG_9505.jpg

Master Bath Vanity area:

IMG_9506.jpg

Master Bath Toilet area:

IMG_9507.jpg

Downstairs hall bath:

IMG_9509.jpg

flipper

More pictures!

Color choices...

IMG_9642-1.jpg

Front Door, hopefully the new Mahogany door will come this week:

IMG_9663-1.jpg

Looking down the stairs:

IMG_9660-1.jpg

Upstairs bathtub tile:

IMG_9657-1.jpg

Upstairs bath floor:

IMG_9654-1.jpg

Shortie attic door:

IMG_9653-1.jpg

Block Panelling on window seat upstairs (AC Ducts inside):

IMG_9652-1.jpg

Den:

IMG_9651-1.jpg

Keetchen:

IMG_9650-2.jpg

IMG_9649-1.jpg

Vanity area in Master bath:

IMG_9648-1.jpg

Downstairs tub tile:

IMG_9647-1.jpg

Downstairs bath floor:

IMG_9646-1.jpg

Living room/Dining room:

IMG_9644-1.jpg

Recessed window detail in front bedroom:

IMG_9645-1.jpg

flipper

Not to put a damper on the party, but how do you get a windstorm insurance policy without the hurricane tie-downs?

You can get a Builder's Risk policy that will cover theft, wind, fire, flood. Unless Flipper has an usuually cozy relationship with his insurance agent where they let flipper get a homeowner's policy on all his flips ? :huh:

Archived