I-10 West Widening Project In The Late 80's/early 90's?

JLWM8609

Roadgeek here, :lol: . Does anyone remember a I-10 widening/reconstruction project between Katy and the Brazos River in the late 80's/early 90's? I ask because I know that for the most part, that stretch of I-10 was built in the 1960s, but the pavement on the section between Katy-Ft. Bend Rd. and Brookshire is pretty recent looking. From Brookshire westward, the highway is still in its original configuration. Once you get to the bridge over the Brazos River, it looks like fairly recent construction. But I don't ever recall the construction during the numerous times I was on I-10 during that period on trips to San Antonio. Chron archives didn't pull anything up either, except mention of a fatal accident at the river in a construction zone around 87 or 88. Someone with a good memory remember any of this work?

Roadgeek here, :lol: . Does anyone remember a I-10 widening/reconstruction project between Katy and the Brazos River in the late 80's/early 90's?

Yes, I remember that project. It was mostly in the late 1980s, although the final phase (which I think was the section near Katy) could have persisted into the early 1990s.

Prior to the construction, the freeway from Katy westward was in a typical rural configuration with two lanes each way and a median. I remember that the pavement condition was poor before the reconstruction.

I also remember the original truss bridge at the Brazos River on the westbound lanes. It probably dated back to the 1930s and the original US 90. I can't say exactly when it was replaced, but I'm thinking it was also in the late 1980s.

I started driving that stretch of road regularly in 1987, my freshman year at UT. My memory may be suspect, but I don't remember any new lanes being added since then. It's been three lanes each way as long as I can remember.

bpe3

Don't know about the late 80s/early 90s, but apparently TxDOT and HCTRA are looking at extending the managed lanes all the way to Sealy, and expanding I-10's mainlanes as well. Why? I don't know. I personally think that HCTRA basically insures itself to charge tolls until the earth ends with projects such as this a Grand Parkway (which is going on $6 Billion).

A simplification here, of course, but a freeway is never "finished" as long as it opens up new areas for development and as long as an area is growing. If you widen the freeway, sure it allows easier access and less congestion for a time, but this encourages development since it is now easier, and less congested to reach further out land, which of course reduces access and increases congestion on the freeway once again.

Will they ever 'finish' the Katy freeway project?

I mean, seriously...?

Got a newsletter in the mail from Culberson's camp this week. The stats are showing the Katy Freeway project is the fastest freeway construction project of its kind to ever be completed in the United States. It will be finished, totally, in the next 8 months, according to the latest information. So far, Williams Bros. has beaten every single deadline they've been given (earning their big bonuses). It's actually pretty amazing how fast it is going! Yeah, it sucks, I mean, I live right near the stacks at BW 8 and I-10, so unfortunately, I got no sleep when they were ripping them out from midnight until 5AM, and yeah, having that closed down a lot is a pain, but I can't complain too much, because it's getting done pretty quickly.

Amazing what $3 Billion will do. :huh:

I notice while he complained about the cost of other things throughout his newsletter, nary a word was said about the cost of the Katy, especially the fact that it is costing TWICE the original estimates.

Apparently, fiscal conservatism is a relative term in Mr. Culberson's district.

As a conservative (not a Republican) I can confidently say that there is no such thing as a "fiscal conservative" anymore. At least not to my knowledge. Thanks to mr Bush (yes i voted for him, and yes I'm an idiot) and his ilk, the term means nothing.

I notice while he complained about the cost of other things throughout his newsletter, nary a word was said about the cost of the Katy, especially the fact that it is costing TWICE the original estimates.

Can you provide a link for that info, Red? I'd be interested in checking that out.

As a conservative (not a Republican) I can confidently say that there is no such thing as a "fiscal conservative" anymore. At least not to my knowledge. Thanks to mr Bush (yes i voted for him, and yes I'm an idiot) and his ilk, the term means nothing.

A pity, definitely. I am in your camp. If we have to choose between a liberal and a hard place, let's hope for Obama.

Infrastructure is legitimate business though -- it directly benefits the people, and isn't that expensive compared to some of what we do. The price of our safari in Iraq could probably pay for the reconstruction of every other outdated urban freeway in the country. Oh well, good roads to get our economy rolling isn't a sexy electoral topic.

Yep, I noticed the lack of mention of the cost overruns on the Katy Freeway in his newsletter to. That was, while I spent 20 seconds glancing over it before I put it in the paper shredder. I started to mail it back with a note that if he wanted to save the government's money, he could stop mailing me that stupid newsletter because I've never voted for him and never will. But then I decided he's not worth my 41 cent stamp or envelope.

Archived